GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A pair of simple engine mods

2010GTI4me

Go Kart Champion
AWE Tuning boost hose and turbo outlet pipe...

I actually just installed the boost hose about an hour ago. The turbo outlet pipe will probably be a job I'll tackle this weekend. Anyone replace the pancake pipe on their GTI yet? Anything I should know before going at it? Instructions look fairly straight forward.

One quick pic, more tomorrow of the installed boost hose:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
The Turbo discharge pipe is UBER simple to swap out

I'd say it takes more time to jack up the car & put it on jack stands & remove the wheel/fender liner than it does to actually swap the pipe

Very very straight forward & worthwhile mod, btw

(I have the Neuspeed version)

scbastv

Ready to race!
what is the advantage to this turbo outlet pipe?

what does it do exactly?

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
It is a larger diameter pipe that flows more air, should increase the output by a few HP

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Stock pipe vs. AWE Pipe (Taken straight from their site)

Notice the stock pancake pipe.

However, one could argue volumetric efficiency and disrupted boundary layers causing turbulent flow, but I figured AWE must've taken all that into consideration when designing it. I actually would like to see some of the specs and do some rough calculations.

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
I'm not familiar with those concepts, care to enlighten?

Do you suppose the additional volume of air moving through the tube offsets any impact from the slower speed at which the air is moving?

gamedic8518

i replaced both at the same time while the ecu was stock and the car did seem to pick up faster. i have the neuspeed versions, they were super easy to do, well the turbo outlet side was, the throttle body side was kinda tight but they match now. also if you are ever planning to mod the ecu having that less restrictive piping really helps the turbo spool up faster. basically i wanted air coming in, around and out of the car as efficiently as possible.

2010GTI4me

Go Kart Champion
Wow! I didn't think I would get all these responses. I haven't even installed it yet lol. I'll be sure to take some pics of the install.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I'm not familiar with those concepts, care to enlighten?

Do you suppose the additional volume of air moving through the tube offsets any impact from the slower speed at which the air is moving?

Yes, I believe so. Thats really the only way I could imagine people getting better throttle response. The surface finish is better, thus could be lowering the losses made by the air to plastic contact from the stock pipe. (Also known as Surface Roughness or "epsilon" in Fluid Dyamics-Losses through a Pipe) but that is minute.

I wish AWE could comment.

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
Will you please go install that thing so I can get on with my life?! Work has slowed to a crawl! lol :p