GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

When to take your mk6 in for first service?

drueb

On a synthetic oil...I would use Royal Purple...available at walmart and local parts stores in the USA.

Brum85

Passed Driver's Ed
Find out from the dealership what brand they have been using and continue to use the same. (as long as it's available and not ridiculously cost prohibitive)

path

Ready to race!
On a synthetic oil...I would use Royal Purple...available at walmart and local parts stores in the USA.

i know this is going to cause trouble, and lots of people swear by royal purple...but I was running it in an air cooled motorcycle engine, in the transmission specifically. i had to break down the primary drive, and there was a thick slimy coating of royal purple gunk stuck the crankshaft, and gooped in between the clutch plates. it took forever to clean off, and i swore i would never use it again. i can't say the stuff caused the problems i was having with my crankshaft seal and friction plates...but anytime someone mentions royal purple i re-tell this story.

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
afaik royal purple is not a certified or recommened oil on the 2.0T by VW.

I cant find it, but VW has a listed of recommended and "approved" oils to use on the engine

koolgreen

Ready to race!
my audi dealer has been plunking synthetic since near the beginiing of my ownership.
when the service was free, it didn't hurt.
even now it is not too expensive to put synthetic in for a few extra dollars.
my engine is now at 170k and not even a quarter inch of consumption on the dipstick after every 16k, which is the recommended change interval.
________
Homemade Vaoprizer

Last edited:

JB36

On one page of the manual it states 5,10,15 etc. (under care free program). The next page states the 10k service. I asked a service advisor today and he couldn't explain. He asks another advisor who prints the service intervals from a VW website and states the care program is 10,20,and 30k. The explanation for the manual was it produced for multiple countries which could be different.:iono:

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
I was told by my dealer to service the car every 8000km, and due to the fact that I drive mostly in the city and love to drive spiritedly, that seems to make sense. Severe-duty cycle is usually half the interval recommended, especially on turbocharged engines. Even modern synthetics get worn down, so an oil change won't hurt things.

Might even consider Blackstone analysis.

However, I want to know about the break-in oil change... when should I bring it in? 1000km? 2000km? 8000km?

I was told by my dealer to service the car every 8000km, and due to the fact that I drive mostly in the city and love to drive spiritedly, that seems to make sense. Severe-duty cycle is usually half the interval recommended, especially on turbocharged engines. Even modern synthetics get worn down, so an oil change won't hurt things.

Might even consider Blackstone analysis.

However, I want to know about the break-in oil change... when should I bring it in? 1000km? 2000km? 8000km?

Although this sounds extreme - in the US? 10,000 miles. Canada? I guess if the manual specs 15,000 km then do that. I'll definitely be going to 5,000 miles on the oil service post break in - the TSI motors are very demanding on oils (they shear it like no tomorrow) but I'm going to follow the manual on break in and let the factory fill do its job. Painful but technically valid.

adroit rider

Passed Driver's Ed
I just had my first oil change at 1700 miles.

The service manager said during a test drive before purchasing, "whatever VW puts in there at the factory they want in there for 10,000 miles".

The service associate said when dropping off for change, "It can't hurt".

My buddy who builds combat vehicles for the US military said,"VW is in the business of selling and servicing cars, not keeping a car running trouble free for as long as possible. Of course they want you to wait 10,000 miles for your first change. Crate engines show up in office every day and we change the oil at 1000 miles no matter what the manufacturer tells us."

BuchWash

Passed Driver's Ed
As an old school guy (emphasis on the 'old') I've always had oil, oil filter, and even transmission fluid changed around 3K miles. While this service won't be free I consider it good insurance for the long term health of the system. During the first few thousand miles of use all engines, regardless of their quality, grind off a little metal which goes into suspension in the oil, most of which is captured by the filter. Same is true of transmissions (manuals particularly). I like to get rid of this abrasive. Makes me feel better, at least, and can't hurt.

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion
DO you guys really think VW would purposely tell you not to change your oil so they can get more $$ in the long run? sounds like suicide on VWs part and how many VWs are doing the 10k oil changes and are failing for lubrication related problems that have 100-200k on them?

path

Ready to race!
DO you guys really think VW would purposely tell you not to change your oil so they can get more $$ in the long run? sounds like suicide on VWs part and how many VWs are doing the 10k oil changes and are failing for lubrication related problems that have 100-200k on them?

i gotta agree, not a lot of engine failures with VWs...electrical gremliins, door seals and drippy parts for sure, but no big parts failures

VW engineers specify that the first service interval is 10,000 miles. Give the factory fill (with a break in additive probably) the chance to do its job. Afterwards, I'll be changing my oil every 5,000 miles. Royal Purple is expensive but very well reputed. Personally, I will just stay with Mobile 1. It's readily available, VAG 502.00 approved and available for a reasonable price. Bob is The Oil Guy website/forums will allow you to argue oil issues as long as you like! :bellyroll:

daihard

Ready to race!
I have not asked my dealer what kind of oil they use for the scheduled oil changes of the GTI, but if it turns out they normally use mineral oil, do you guys think I can legitimately ask them to use synthetic instead? With a 10,000 mile interval, I would be very uncomfortable with mineral oil.

[EDIT] Nevermind... The owners manual specifically says that synthetic lube that meets VW quality standards must be used. :)

Last edited: