GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

When to take your mk6 in for first service?

wholesome

Passed Driver's Ed
Guys,

Im about to reach 10k miles on my MK6 and will be going in for my first oil change. (I was told by my dealer to do it after the first 10k)

Does 10k sound about right for the first oil change? I was also told, this car should take only synthetic oil.

Also anyone recommend any specific brands?

Thanks for your help.

Jever

Ready to race!
5k is the first service. why the hell would you leave the oil in their that long? Have you been checking it well, cause I would wager it would use a good ammount within 10k. The filter has to be full of crap as well.

zee

Go Kart Champion
My sales guy said "see you in 6 months or 15,000kms."

I double checked the "Canada Warranty and Maintenance" booklet and read.
"Service at 15,000kms or one year".

Apparently, all new VWs have similar service intervals and waiting so long wont void my warranty...so I'll save my cash on the Synthetic.

Jever

Ready to race!
one part says to service every five thousand through thirty five thousand miles. It outlines what services are done at 10k etc but dose not say in between. Plus if you read that under severe conditions it needs to be serviced more offten. I wouldnt go 10k... I dont even plan on having it that long and Im not going 10k

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
5k is the first service. why the hell would you leave the oil in their that long? Have you been checking it well, cause I would wager it would use a good ammount within 10k. The filter has to be full of crap as well.

:rolleyes: the manual specifically states 10k as first service.

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion

zee

Go Kart Champion
one part says to service every five thousand through thirty five thousand miles. It outlines what services are done at 10k etc but dose not say in between. Plus if you read that under severe conditions it needs to be serviced more offten. I wouldnt go 10k... I dont even plan on having it that long and Im not going 10k

My Canadian booklet does not say such...even though we are in severe cold climate. It talks about extremely low temperatures though, but does not list intervals. If this extreme low applies to Canadian weather, then we will have a maintenance book with revised service intervals.

In Europe, oil change in VWs is also about 10,000miles...with long life oils lasting about 12,000miles to 15,000miles. When I was there summer of 2008, I noticed the price of 5W-30 5L Castrol Edge synthetic engine oil was a wopping 99euros...which will probably cost quite a penny to change it often.

Beeb

Mk VI
I tell all of my customers that you can wait 15 000kms for the first service, but if you do lots of stop and go or are generally hard on your car then do one at 7500, and then just follow the recommended maintenance from there.

woofie2

Ready to race!
my manual and new dealer say 10k miles (USA) +/- 10%

even VW.com says 10k miles.

My old dealer said 5k miles, but with the 3 year 36k free service you get 3 oil changes free with your car purchase that is 10, 20 and 30k miles and the 40k service is the expensive service.

If you are driving and actually moving, there is no reason to change more often than 10k miles.
If you are sitting in traffic and not moving then maybe 7500 miles is a better interval.

any issues take it in for the 6k/90 days inspection, no service will be done.

nyte3k

Ready to race!
Guys,

Im about to reach 10k miles on my MK6 and will be going in for my first oil change. (I was told by my dealer to do it after the first 10k)

Does 10k sound about right for the first oil change? I was also told, this car should take only synthetic oil.

Also anyone recommend any specific brands?

Thanks for your help.

I see you're in the US...and was wondering.... how the hell did you get to 10,000 miles already? lol een out here about 3.5 months max.

wholesome

Passed Driver's Ed
I see you're in the US...and was wondering.... how the hell did you get to 10,000 miles already? lol een out here about 3.5 months max.

...I know, I have a really long commute to work.

I think some of you are right, 15k is the first mark for your first free service. I will drop in the dealership this weekend and see if i can get my free service at just 10k... if not ill just wait til 15k.

Thank you for all your help.

mongo1

Ready to race!
I don't have my book in front of me, but 10,000 miles should be your first free service. I'm pretty sure everyone who is saying 15,000 is talking kilometers.

wholesome

Passed Driver's Ed
have you been checking your oil periodically?

Ive checked it once about a week ago...looks okay. But i def will take it in this coming weekend.

Im going to guess and say that i can rely on the dealership to put in good oil for me... so that i dont have to go out and buy it myself. You guys think this is a good assumption?

Also, when my free services runs out...what brand of synthetic oil should i start buying?