GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

No one likes the GTI but us!

path

Ready to race!
Wow! I didn't realize that. So I must assume the VAT was already built into the $48,000 GTI price on the VW UK website.

Looks like the best time to buy a car in the USA happens to be NOW!!

And they wonder why Europe is having trouble coming out of recession?

yup. during production they add value to the material being refined into a final product...Value Added Tax

hpowders

Ready to race!
yup. during production they add value to the material being refined into a final product...Value Added Tax

Really bad.

Meanwhile I optioned a 328i and a GTI on the UK company websites and the 328i came out only $4000 more expensive-still a good showing for the GTI even with the value added tax. ( $48,000 vs $52,000).

hpowders

Ready to race!
Hey HD,

I was inspired to buy the GTI from reading the thread you were involved with at Bimmerfest. I am glad I made the switch...the car is so much more nimble and fun then the 07 328i I traded in for it.

Hey back!

Yes, those were the good old days!

I have a 2007 328i sedan and while all the luxury features are very nice-the leather sport seats with firm adjustable lumbar, thigh extenders, first class radio, dimming mirrors, etc; unfortunately the vehicle doesn't shine in the most important category-it is simply too large and heavy to be an outstanding handler. It has great brakes and steering, but when I make a right turn, it feels like a truck!:(

To me the 328i has become just another Lexus. It is unfortunately just another super-refined boring drive.

Have you chipped your GTI?

You guys will love your GTI's even more when instead of $28k, the price rises to $35k. Never knew plaid cloth could cost so much! :laugh:

Last edited:

blueshirts0819

Ready to race!
The funny part is they don't like your car, but most people don't want to mess with you on the road cause they know if they run into a sleeper, they can really embarrassed.

RatherBeInCabo

Ready to race!
Have you chipped your GTI?
I have not chipped it and don't feel the need to. It is so much more responsive then my 328i that I am satisfied as is. My second car used mainly for work is an 05 Honda Civic EX Coupe so after I drive the Honda for a few days and then get back in the GTI...I am amazed all over again.

When I came home with the car, my 14 yr old daughter said "I'm never getting in that thing". Well she had no choice one day and after playing with the stereo and taking her on a twisty road, she now loves it. We still have a bimmer in the family which is an 08 528i (boring now) and she prefers going in the GTI.

hpowders

Ready to race!
I have not chipped it and don't feel the need to. It is so much more responsive then my 328i that I am satisfied as is. My second car used mainly for work is an 05 Honda Civic EX Coupe so after I drive the Honda for a few days and then get back in the GTI...I am amazed all over again.

When I came home with the car, my 14 yr old daughter said "I'm never getting in that thing". Well she had no choice one day and after playing with the stereo and taking her on a twisty road, she now loves it. We still have a bimmer in the family which is an 08 528i (boring now) and she prefers going in the GTI.

A lot of people in the US don't seem to like hatchbacks, but for me they are the perfect vehicles.

When I test drove the GTI a few months back, I thought it had enough power just the way it was.

I may test drive another one tomorrow, even though it's 70 miles away!

RatherBeInCabo

Ready to race!
I revived the GTI vs 328 over at BF...wonder if it will become active again???

RatherBeInCabo

Ready to race!
I may test drive another one tomorrow, even though it's 70 miles away!
Make sure you car is cleaned out of all personal belongings because you just might leave it there. I left my Conti kit in the trunk but since I no longer have run flats, I guess it is OK. Try to check one out with Dynaudio if you can.

hpowders

Ready to race!
Make sure you car is cleaned out of all personal belongings because you just might leave it there. I left my Conti kit in the trunk but since I no longer have run flats, I guess it is OK. Try to check one out with Dynaudio if you can.

Dynaudio is very hard to find. :(

Oh no! They will be reading all my BF posts! :laugh:

Last edited:

Boo1

Ready to race!
I love hot hatches for the very fact that they're sleepers. One of my favorite lines from my friend who owns an '08 STi when asked about it.... "it's peppy".

There is a lot to be said for understatement.

spretsnijev

Passed Driver's Ed
Wow! I didn't realize that. So I must assume the VAT was already built into the $48,000 GTI price on the VW UK website.

Looks like the best time to buy a car in the USA happens to be NOW!!

And they wonder why Europe is having trouble coming out of recession?

Yep, that's what i did... ;)