GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

No one likes the GTI but us!

RatherBeInCabo

Ready to race!
Dynaudio is very hard to find. :(

Oh no! They will be reading all my BF posts! :laugh:
3 of the 4 GTI's they had in Thousand Oaks had the Dynaudio. The only one that did not have it was one that was the same color as mine but with the 6MT. To me, the audio was more important but the MT would have been a blast.

hpowders

Ready to race!
3 of the 4 GTI's they had in Thousand Oaks had the Dynaudio. The only one that did not have it was one that was the same color as mine but with the 6MT. To me, the audio was more important but the MT would have been a blast.

I've been doing dealer searches and locally if they have Dynaudio, they don't have something else I would want. Seems like one has to order a car to get it just right, but when you do that, you give up negotiating room.

RIP335

Go Kart Champion
The one that kills me when we get it - 'Oh, it's so cute!"

Yep, it's cute alright. 200HP/207 lbs-ft cute. ;)

:lol: I got that one too...

200hp/ 207lbs-ft are weak numbers these days, considering almost every car on the road has 230+ hp. Makes it somewhat difficult to pass someone on the freeway (or expressway where ever your from) Just cant wait for my tax return so I could boost the numbers a bit.

Whafrodamus1

Ready to race!
:lol: I got that one too...

200hp/ 207lbs-ft are weak numbers these days, considering almost every car on the road has 230+ hp. Makes it somewhat difficult to pass someone on the freeway (or expressway where ever your from) Just cant wait for my tax return so I could boost the numbers a bit.

Never had a problem heh heh....

hpowders

Ready to race!
What gets me is when I "built" a GTI and 328i, both generously loaded with options available here, on UK VW and BMW sites, the GTI MSRP + VAT came out to only $4000 USD less than the 328i. ( $49,000 vs. $53,000).

Over here, the difference is more like $10,000. ( $31,000 vs. $41,000).

MkVi_Ian

Ready to race!
when i told one of my friends (has a cobalt SS) we should race he said, "200hp heh" . i just thought to myself "APR stage 2, we'll see who's laughing... mwahaha"

hpowders

Ready to race!
My wife tells me I'm already in "stage 3". Not sure how she meant that. :confused:

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
I traded an 07 E90 328i for my new GTI and do not have one bit of regret 5 weeks in. The GTI is way more fun. All that matters that you enjoy whatever car it is you choose to drive.

Hey folks. I am a new poster. Glad to be here!

I have been reading this thread with interest.

I currently drive a 2007 328i sedan. Unfortunately the car is too big and heavy. It has nice luxury features like the dimming mirrors, great sport seats, wonderful radio and firm lumbar support, but it drives like a tank-not much fun at all. The car has the BMW badge but not the BMW heritage.

I have started looking at the 2010 GTI and while I haven't made up my mind completely yet, the car is definitely under consideration.

We should start a former BMW owner support group!!!

I did the same thing as well... got me a 4 door GTI for the same reasons that you guys got yours. Sold my E46 and is currently awaiting shipping.

I should see if my login on BF still works...

It's really interesting that the formula that makes up the GTI makes it very attractive to BMW 3 series owners... could be a good marketing campaign for VW... based on VW's support group for former owners of expensive european sport sedans...

RatherBeInCabo

Ready to race!
My wife tells me I'm already in "stage 3". Not sure how she meant that. :confused:
I went through numerous cars in the last 3 years to find one that I really like. It started in early 2007 with a new Wolfsburg Jetta. I then got the German bug and traded in the Jetta on my 50th bday for an 05 545i. Loved that car but was always concerned about the maintenance. One year late I traded that in for an 09 Pontiac G8 GT. Loved that car for a few months, then got bored and traded it for an 08 528i. When my wife came home and saw the 528i in the garage she said "you're sick". Well I went and got her the 328i to make peace. She didn't like the 3 and I didn't care much for the 5 so we traded cars. The 328i kept my interest for almost a year and then I stumbled upon the 328i vs GTI thread on BF and the rest is history.

The 545i was the first car that put a major smile on my face every time I drove it and I get the same feeling with the GTI.

Darkmkvigti

Ready to race!
I think the VW heritage is equal to that of any BMW or Mercedes, if you choose to look deep enough. I think GTI has come a really long way in the past years, and credit should be given when it is due. My family and I have owned german cars forever and the VW brand has been the one of choice next to audi (still VW). I think bang for buck the car is stunning and classy, its a tuner car with a mature feel. ITS NOT A HONDA for starters. I think even that if i was offered a BMW or mercedes (in the same price range) I would still pick the GTI hands down. That my opinion and I am sticking to it.
CHeers

hpowders

Ready to race!
We should start a former BMW owner support group!!!

I did the same thing as well... got me a 4 door GTI for the same reasons that you guys got yours. Sold my E46 and is currently awaiting shipping.

I should see if my login on BF still works...

It's really interesting that the formula that makes up the GTI makes it very attractive to BMW 3 series owners... could be a good marketing campaign for VW... based on VW's support group for former owners of expensive european sport sedans...

All BMW has to do is make a lighter compact size fun to drive vehicle. Instead, they have gone "yuppy". :(

hpowders

Ready to race!
I went through numerous cars in the last 3 years to find one that I really like. It started in early 2007 with a new Wolfsburg Jetta. I then got the German bug and traded in the Jetta on my 50th bday for an 05 545i. Loved that car but was always concerned about the maintenance. One year late I traded that in for an 09 Pontiac G8 GT. Loved that car for a few months, then got bored and traded it for an 08 528i. When my wife came home and saw the 528i in the garage she said "you're sick". Well I went and got her the 328i to make peace. She didn't like the 3 and I didn't care much for the 5 so we traded cars. The 328i kept my interest for almost a year and then I stumbled upon the 328i vs GTI thread on BF and the rest is history.

The 545i was the first car that put a major smile on my face every time I drove it and I get the same feeling with the GTI.

I had a 2005 545i leased for 3 years. I have to admit though, I'm a sucker for compact-sized, agile vehicles.