GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The ULTIMATE Workout Thread

Lou Maiuri

Banned
Getting ready for work this am, I'm down another belt loop :)

In the past 4 months I'm down 5" of waist fat. At 6'3 and 200lbs, not really a big guy but had misplaced weight. I've not lost any pounds but seem to have done well at shifting the weight around.

feelsgoodman!

Impressive, nothing like stripping the fat away and then rebuilding with a clean/strong diet. and :mad0259: 6'3 is big and over 200 is big. I've accepted that I will never be either but its a hell of a lot easier doing compound lifts as a short guy. Curious as to your diet/supplementation on this cut?

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Impressive, nothing like stripping the fat away and then rebuilding with a clean/strong diet. and :mad0259: 6'3 is big and over 200 is big. I've accepted that I will never be either but its a hell of a lot easier doing compound lifts as a short guy. Curious as to your diet/supplementation on this cut?

Well, when I say I'm not big I mean I've always been height/weight proportionate. Just in need of re shifting the weight. I'm what I call, skinny-fat.

As for what I've been doing:

Quit weekday drinking (only lightly on weekends)
Joined a gym and hired a trainer
Plenty of cardio and weight training
Recently quit dairy (Its been a month)
Recently quit white foods (flour, rice, potatoes, sugar, salt)
High, lean protein diet

Its all been quite easy actually. Only thing I really miss is cheese pizza. I'm going to Chicago next month and plan on cheating as I will destroy some authentic Chicago style pizza :D

Lou Maiuri

Banned
Well, when I say I'm not big I mean I've always been height/weight proportionate. Just in need of re shifting the weight. I'm what I call, skinny-fat.

As for what I've been doing:

Quit weekday drinking (only lightly on weekends)
Joined a gym and hired a trainer
Plenty of cardio and weight training
Recently quit dairy (Its been a month)
Recently quit white foods (flour, rice, potatoes, sugar, salt)
High, lean protein diet

Its all been quite easy actually. Only thing I really miss is cheese pizza. I'm going to Chicago next month and plan on cheating as I will destroy some authentic Chicago style pizza :D

When you speak of shifting weight is that something the trainer relayed to you? And have you cut out milk totally? I'm not trying to sound like a dick or a snob and I'm sure you are making quality gains but there is room for these foods you have cut out of your diet if you really like them

edit: also, don't let a trainer convince you that carbs are the enemy. pre and post workout carbs are prehaps some of the most important foods that you eat on a daily basis. It's mind blowing how much information there is regarding the transformation and makeup of the human body

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
When you speak of shifting weight is that something the trainer relayed to you? And have you cut out milk totally? I'm not trying to sound like a dick or a snob and I'm sure you are making quality gains but there is room for these foods you have cut out of your diet if you really like them

The shifting of weight is happening naturally as part of my cardio/weight training routine. Along with my high protein diet.

Since quitting the dairy, I've lost 2" of waist fat in the past month. I will resume it in moderation once I get to the point that I'm comfortable with the work I've done. As I will resume rice and potatoes. I'm willing to make the sacrifice now to accelerate the gains I'm seeing. Then will level off and sustain.

While I'm a good forum moderator :p I'm poor at moderating my diet. This drastic change in dieting is breaking me of my poor eating habits. I did this earlier this year with alcohol. I quite drinking for 2 months to break my cycle. Now I only drink on Friday and Saturday nights (no more weekday wine). I am eating carbs, just good carbs. No processed, white flour and sugar.

Its working well for me so I'm sticking with it.

Lou Maiuri

Banned
The shifting of weight is happening naturally as part of my cardio/weight training routine. Along with my high protein diet.

Since quitting the dairy, I've lost 2" of waist fat in the past month. I will resume it in moderation once I get to the point that I'm comfortable with the work I've done. As I will resume rice and potatoes. I'm willing to make the sacrifice now to accelerate the gains I'm seeing. Then will level off and sustain.

While I'm a good forum moderator :p I'm poor at moderating my diet. This drastic change in dieting is breaking me of my poor eating habits. I did this earlier this year with alcohol. I quite drinking for 2 months to break my cycle. Now I only drink on Friday and Saturday nights (no more weekday wine). I am eating carbs, just good carbs. No processed, white flour and sugar.

Its working well for me so I'm sticking with it.

Sounds like you're well on your way; its the best feeling in the world when not drinking and eating healthy become a habit instead of a choice. I know you think the culprit is the dairy in terms of losing weight but I'm willing to bet it's the quitting of the booze that helped you out the most. Regarding milk, it is one of the best post workout supplements in the world; and its natural. Milk is composed mainly of casein protein, whose enzymes stick to the stomach wall and digest up to 50% slower than Casein's counterpart (whey protein). Combined with vitamins and minerals, carbohydrates and a balance of fat in 1 or 2% milk; it is the ultimate supplement.

Studies also indicated that the human kidneys can only process around 50g of protein per meal with the rest being filtered through the kidney's and peed out.

Have you noticed being more tired throughout the day on a high protein low carb diet?

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like you're well on your way; its the best feeling in the world when not drinking and eating healthy become a habit instead of a choice. I know you think the culprit is the dairy in terms of losing weight but I'm willing to bet it's the quitting of the booze that helped you out the most. Regarding milk, it is one of the best post workout supplements in the world; and its natural. Milk is composed mainly of casein protein, whose enzymes stick to the stomach wall and digest up to 50% slower than Casein's counterpart (whey protein). Combined with vitamins and minerals, carbohydrates and a balance of fat in 1 or 2% milk; it is the ultimate supplement.

Studies also indicated that the human kidneys can only process around 50g of protein per meal with the rest being filtered through the kidney's and peed out.

Have you noticed being more tired throughout the day on a high protein low carb diet?

I follow up every workout with a big glass of milk and it works great for me, I couldn't agree more.

Daniel said he is eating carbs, just better ones. I definitely feel tired without carbs and they're also my favorite/easiest thing to eat. It's definitely tough to keep my carbs at a good level and stick to mostly healthy carbs. I wish I had the self control with eating some of you do.

Lou Maiuri

Banned
I follow up every workout with a big glass of milk and it works great for me, I couldn't agree more.

Daniel said he is eating carbs, just better ones. I definitely feel tired without carbs and they're also my favorite/easiest thing to eat. It's definitely tough to keep my carbs at a good level and stick to mostly healthy carbs. I wish I had the self control with eating some of you do.

A good buddy of mine who is a cross-fitter (which I am not particularly a fan of) imparted some nice tips to me the other night which I have been researching. A way to get better at eating good carbs is to cut out grains and focus on fruits and vegetables. My philosophy has always been to go carb heavy before I train i.e. rice cakes with peanut butter, oatmeal, banana with peanut butter and gradually lessen carbs throughout my day until I have dinner which I usually include broccoli or spinach with. Fruits are much tastier than grains and allow you to dress them up with small amounts of healthy if used properly condiments such as peanut or almond butter.

Not to sound vain or arrogant but the only thing that keeps me eating healthy and maintaining a low bodyfat is the mirror. I know its vain but it works; I'm to the point where I get depressed when I take cheat meals too far.

DubLife

Ready to race!
I've been really into Egg Whites and greek yogurt lately. Both pack good amounts of protein, especially the egg whites

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, I mean, I hear you on the mirror thing. Many people say they work out for the added strength or long term health or whatever, but I don't really buy that most of the time, I think 90% of us do it for the looks.

Trying to stay focused on fruits and vegetables is definitely a good idea, but it's just tough because I'm so used to having sandwiches for lunch and potatos with dinner, etc. It's what I've been eating for my entire life.

I also find it difficult to eat well when around others. My girlfriend is all about sweets and she eats like shit. She likes to pretend that she's cares about eating healthy, but we'll go to the store together and she always buys a bunch of junk food. I usually turn it down, but she gets frustrated when I don't want to eat like crap with her. I also find it really tough to eat when I'm on the road, I just end up at places with my coworkers that have no healthy options or at fast food places trying to save money. I guess I just have to keep working on getting better, one thing at a time.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
Not to sound vain or arrogant but the only thing that keeps me eating healthy and maintaining a low bodyfat is the mirror. I know its vain but it works; I'm to the point where I get depressed when I take cheat meals too far.

That's not really vain it just means you are one of the few that understand that a 6 pack is created in the kitchen not the Gym (for the most part), a very important element most people miss.

I fully understand this but ignore it since I work out so that I can eat whatever I want :). Plus genetics even when I was in HS and about 4% body fat 3.5% was over my abs...

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I havent drank milk in 15 years. I don't think I could ever bring myself to drink it again. Now cheese on the other hand, I was addicted to it.

My carbs now are mostly from fruits and veggies. Occasionally brown rice and whole wheat.

I too started looking at myself closely in the mirror. It is motivating to see change, noting new definition of muscle, measuring myself to see the loss of waste fat, increase of upper body diameter.

Aigoo

Ready to race!
I work out so that I can eat whatever I want :).

haha that's pretty much why i work out! food is too delicious to ignore!

Especially carbs. Being asian also doesn't help a lot since i pretty much eat rice with every meal.

just read through this entire thread. awesome info here!

I just stalled on my squats yesterday. For the life of me I can't get past 5x5 sets of 240. I'm pretty sure the limiting factor is my body weight. I'm 5'8ish, 155 lbs.

At what point would most people hit a plateau due to LACK of caloric intake?

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion

I know exactly how you feel...I get guilt trips when I eat too much haha

Lou Maiuri

Banned
I know it may seem weird to some of the guys who lift on this forum; but google "zyzz" and read about him. Dude lived a life completely out of character and payed dearly for it; but damn what I would give to have that physique. Huge motivator for myself and my buddies who take training and nutrition very seriously; plus he provides the lulz. Check out his youtube videos mainly "the legacy" to get caught up on his strange saga. Once I grabbed this philosophy by the balls and sculpted an impressive physique, more and more things became attainable a lot easier (see: females). And the best part is, like zyzz, I'm a nerd at heart who still plays starcraft and likes to watch sci fi movies. Creating the intimidating shell of a musclehead provides the lulz in so many ways and surprises so many people when you turn out to be an educated and engaging successful person.

edit: plus he introduced me to going to electronic dance music festivals shirtless. Sounds uber queen until you're in a sea of 5000+ girls dressed like forest nymphs who are all grabby. I'm going to electric zoo in NYC over labor day if anyone wants a life changing experience roll up there with me I'd be more than happy to make some fellow members privy to the EDM scene