GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gauge Cluster Plastic

Draz

Ready to race!
So I noticed scratches and swirls in certain light on the gauge cluster plastic. I searched the threads and decided to try Plastx on the scratches. After I did a few applications, the scratches/swirls were still there. Does anyone else have this issue and is it common? I can't seem to remember if the scratches were there when I got the car, or if I did something to it. :confused:

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
They're very delicate. I don't use anything but a very VERY soft microfibre lens cloth on mine, and no cleaning solutions.

Stevec717

Ready to race!
I use a spray plastic polish. Comes out looking like milk. It is ultra low abrasive (seems like none) but it is polish. Works great on all kinds of gauge faces, I've used it on instrument clusters for years. There's also a #2 formula which is cream - more aggressive for getti ng scratches out of plastic. After polishing with #1, it looks like there's nothing there.

Steve

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
Mine only has 9k miles on it and the gauges are FILLED with swirls when i get in the car at certain light too..

IN for proper solutions.

boostedmk6

Go Kart Champion
You should only use extremely soft microfibers to clean them. They are almost as bad as the gloss black pillers on the outside..

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I'm curious as to how swirl marks or scratches occur on the gauge clusters? I've never touched mine or placed anything near them.

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
I'm curious as to how swirl marks or scratches occur on the gauge clusters? I've never touched mine or placed anything near them.

People attempt to clean the dust off them... and scratch them inadvertently.

Much like what a car wash place did to my gauge when I brought it in to wash.

Peachaz

Ready to race!
Yeah...mine get dusty and I try to make it better by wiping. They should have made them out of something harder.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
People attempt to clean the dust off them... and scratch them inadvertently.

Much like what a car wash place did to my gauge when I brought it in to wash.

Ah, people have yet to discover microfiber for dusting.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Maybe use a Swiffer Duster then? I use a microfiber and have zero scratches. However it's a minuscule amount of dust so it only takes a light dusting, not a scrubbing.

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
I use compressed air (well, the computer cleaning "dust-off" spray) when needed - blast that shiz out of there!

Stevec717

Ready to race!
Here's the stuff I use. The spray comes under other names too. This one is from West Marine. Very light, milky, just spray and buff with a very soft cloth (microfiber). Works great for regular maintenance. Second one is Meguiar's. More of a cream and a little more polishing action. Helps restore plastic that is already swirled. I've had good results with both. I've used on plastic trim, pillars, tailights, headlamp housings, gauges - also on acrylic (polycarb) lenses, and sheets (glass replacement for frames).

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_1509.JPG
    IMG_1509.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 299