GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Roof Rack Review -Pro Rack Whispbar vs. OEM Roof Racks

pdxa4

Longtime VW/Audi owner
Nice! How much are they selling for at REI?

Still expensive(20% reduction in price) , but works out cheaper than Rackattack etc, even with my local sales tax added on.
And REI has free delivery, or local store pickup...

Jchilvz

Ready to race!
want them...

Artysta

Ready to race!
just wondering, Im looking to get the OEM roof rack for my 2dr gti, but thinking about switching into a 4dr in the near future. Will the OEM roof rack work on both a 2dr and a 4dr?

Jason3D

Go Kart Champion
just wondering, Im looking to get the OEM roof rack for my 2dr gti, but thinking about switching into a 4dr in the near future. Will the OEM roof rack work on both a 2dr and a 4dr?

Others can chime in, but I am pretty sure it is a different rack for 2/4 doors. The front bar is likely the same, but I would imagine the feet for the rear bar would be different.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
Others can chime in, but I am pretty sure it is a different rack for 2/4 doors. The front bar is likely the same, but I would imagine the feet for the rear bar would be different.

^^^This. The rear bar on a 2 door fits above the fixed rear side window and the rear bar on a 4 door is made to fit in the rear door opening. They're completely different designs.

MrMke

Go Kart Champion
Nice thread. Was considering the thule bars until I saw the price. Kinda wish I went that route though cause the nosie from my votex bars is awful. I don't care for the bike attachements though.

The howling wind noise is exactly why I sold my OEM base bars and now seeking out the Whispbars......expensive but in the end.....so worth it.

Jason3D

Go Kart Champion
I swear I remember reading on the box that the OEM bars had a weight limit of 300lbs not 160 something like earlier stated.

I've read 160lbs for the OEM bars (it might have said that in the packaging), but knowing VW I wouldn't be surprised if this is conservative. As I have mentioned in the past, the Whispbars do not feel nearly as sturdy for heavy loads. They are quiet though. Definitely a tradeoff between the two.

bmc333

Ready to race!
Slightly off topic but does anyone know if the Thule Aero bar set up from the B7 A4 will fit the 4 door MK6 ?

intanetfreak

Go Kart Champion
I have Whispbars and I don't feel them at all when driving. (Both noise and fuel-wise)
But like others are saying the weight limit is less than the OEM bars, and they are narrower... so I can't have a box and a bike carrier on at the same time due to the width.

kbuddha

Ready to race!
I read through all four pages, and didn't see this asked or answered for that matter. I'm looking to pick up a set of racks, how do the "Feet" impact the weather stripping? i know on some vehicles they can make the weather stripping bulge out or even in.

With prolonged use have you noticed anything?

Jason3D

Go Kart Champion
I read through all four pages, and didn't see this asked or answered for that matter. I'm looking to pick up a set of racks, how do the "Feet" impact the weather stripping? i know on some vehicles they can make the weather stripping bulge out or even in.

With prolonged use have you noticed anything?

Very minor deformation on mine after three years. No leaks or anything though. The metal straps on the Whispbars are actually a bit thinner than the oem mounts.