GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Roof Rack Review -Pro Rack Whispbar vs. OEM Roof Racks

intanetfreak

Go Kart Champion
Does anyone know if the OEM Zubehör bike carrier will mount to a Yakima Whispbar? Or will it only mount to the OEM cross bars?

Matt607

I went with Whispbar for looks and not really wanting to use a fairing.

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
I read through all four pages, and didn't see this asked or answered for that matter. I'm looking to pick up a set of racks, how do the "Feet" impact the weather stripping? i know on some vehicles they can make the weather stripping bulge out or even in.

With prolonged use have you noticed anything?

I have OEM racks and the "foot print" is very minimal compared to the others. This was also my concern because I didn't want to bother with sticking clear tape on my rough. (Works for others but I'm not having it :thumbdown: ) FWIW..I use them for function, not looks. I haul snowboards and bicycles on mine and the wind noise doesn't bother me. :iono: As others said in prior posts....Gas mileage blows for sure but again, my use is for function so I removed them when not in use. :)

Kopasz

Ready to race!
Permanent footing for whispbar?

We have 2 VeeDubs: 2013 2dr GTI and 2013 Passat TDI SEL.

I need racks for both, but really only need one rack.

I am leaning towards the through bar system so I can use one rack for both cars (we won't need one on each car at the same time) so that I can make the rack wider for the Passat, and narrower for the GTI.

Has anybody used the permanent footing systems at all? I would hard install the footings on each roof (drilling required) and then the the feet of the bars clamp to the footing.

Can anybody chime in about this?

Thanks.

Tarwheel

Ready to race!
I'm considering a Whispbar for my two-door Golf 2.5L. I would use it mainly for hauling kayaks. I am willing to pay extra for the Whispbar because I have used standard Yakima racks in the past, and they are very noisy and reduce gas mileage. The Whispbars also include locks, which are additional cost with standard bars, and don't need wind fairings, another additional cost.

My main issue is whether to get the flush or through-mount version of the Whispbar. Although I often would be carrying only one kayak, I would like to be able to carry two of them on occasion. The through-mount version is definitely wider, and thus better for carrying two kayaks, but I'm worried that I would then be hitting my head on the rack ends. Any opinions?

GertieGTI

Ready to race!
Just wanted to say thanks for a great informed review. It helped me make a great choice is purchasing my Whispbars.

They look more OEM than the OEM bars, make zero noise, and are a great addition to the look of the car. I paired then with Thule side arm bike carriers and it works great together.

Jason, have you used any bungee surf board carriers on these bars? I bought a pair of Dakine low profile pads and am just using ratchet straps for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason3D

Go Kart Champion
Nope, no bungees. Just pads and regular Da Kine tie downs. Works great but takes a minute to cinch up the slack on the straps. Let me know if you try the bungees. Would be interested to hear how they work. There's an oem surfboard attachment but is pretty expensive. Glad you like the bars!

ray_futbol

Passed Driver's Ed
I installed my whispbars, but with all Vw's I notice a slight incline from the rear bars. Do you think it's bad to not put the rear bars in the recommended position? I wanna move the rear bars back so my roof box sits flatter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jason3D

Go Kart Champion
Damn that looks good! Pretty sure there is reinforced support at the marked locations so I wouldn't move them, or at least by much. Might help with aerodynamics being slightly pointed down anyway. Looks good to me as is either way.

ray_futbol

Passed Driver's Ed
Damn that looks good! Pretty sure there is reinforced support at the marked locations so I wouldn't move them, or at least by much. Might help with aerodynamics being slightly pointed down anyway. Looks good to me as is either way.

Thanks for the input! This thread is what made me decide on whispbars :D

MrMke

Go Kart Champion

Are there any markings for the rear of the 4 door? I had my rear whispbar set back quite a bit and I don't recall any placement indicators.

ray_futbol

Passed Driver's Ed
Are there any markings for the rear of the 4 door? I had my rear whispbar set back quite a bit and I don't recall any placement indicators.

There aren't any markings that I know of. I know there are tiny indents in the rear door but not sure what those are meant for roof rack placement

ColesMk6

Ready to race!
I plan on getting a thule fairing for the oem rack, anyone have any fitment issues and what size should i go with?