GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Water in tail light!!!

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
What the fuck! I just installed R tails like two weeks ago. Today I took the car through an automatic, touch less wash because it rained last night. When I came around to the back while touching up with QD, I see condensation and droplets inside the outer passenger side tail light housing. I took the brake light housing out and inspected it for cracks but found none. I have to assume it's not sealed 100%. The other housings are bone dry inside, only this one has water.

Has anyone else with R tails encountered this? If so, is there a way to open the housings, dry them out and reseal the unit? Otherwise, should I contact BKS for a replacement?

Pretty bummed right now...shit was expensive and this is so uncool. :mad0259:

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
Damn.

Sounds like a bad seal.

VW Parts come with a 12mo/12k warranty AFAIK.

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
Damn.

Sounds like a bad seal.

VW Parts come with a 12mo/12k warranty AFAIK.

Yeah but at the same time, I'm wondering: shouldn't these be able to be opened up anyway? Maybe I should open them up, dry them and then reseal it. Then again, if it's defective, I want a replacement one (assuming BKS doesn't try to screw me on a return two weeks after purchasing it).

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
Yeah but at the same time, I'm wondering: shouldn't these be able to be opened up anyway? Maybe I should open them up, dry them and then reseal it. Then again, if it's defective, I want a replacement one (assuming BKS doesn't try to screw me on a return two weeks after purchasing it).

For me, I always try to get shit replaced before I fuck with it.

I used to try to fix everything, and the quality of my last car suffered from it.

We can never reseal them as good as VW does.

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
Keep in mind, these aren't bought from VW, they were purchased from BKS tuning in Germany. Although they are genuine VW OEM parts, they aren't something I can walk into a US dealer to get warrantied. I don't know how BKS would handle this in terms of sending me a replacement light. Sending the defective one in before receiving a replacement, with shipping my responsibility, is fucked up IMHO. Them sending me a replacement with a return label to send the defective one back though, that I'd do.

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
Ahhhh, this is true.

Shit.

Call them and me like wtfmate.

See what happens.

mark986

Ready to race!
People usually place them in the oven to pry them apart. But since this would be your first time and these things aren't cheap, I wouldn't try it yourself.

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
Oh hell no...I won't be doing that with a 700 set of tail lights. I was thinking if there was a way to unscrew the housing from the back (I see a bunch of screws back there), then dry it out and reseal it tightly. If that's not a possible option, I will have to get them to send me a replacement under no uncertain terms. Having a poorly sealed tail light that cost this much is not acceptable.

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
Oh hell no...I won't be doing that with a 700 set of tail lights. I was thinking if there was a way to unscrew the housing from the back (I see a bunch of screws back there), then dry it out and reseal it tightly. If that's not a possible option, I will have to get them to send me a replacement under no uncertain terms. Having a poorly sealed tail light that cost this much is not acceptable.

I would say that you would have to at least use a heat gun.

Even that makes me cringe when it's $700 lights.

OT: Specs on your wheels?

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
I would say that you would have to at least use a heat gun.

Even that makes me cringe when it's $700 lights.

OT: Specs on your wheels?

18x8 et45

I sent an email to BKS just now to find out how they'd like to handle a possible replacement light. In the meantime, if anyone has experienced this with their R tails, I'd like to know how they dealt with it.

allset

Go Kart Champion
fuuuuuuk dude. Just installed my R's 3 days ago. I noticed when u open the hatch rain water drains right on top of them and goes behind the back. idk if that matters but it freaked me out.

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
18x8 et45

I sent an email to BKS just now to find out how they'd like to handle a possible replacement light. In the meantime, if anyone has experienced this with their R tails, I'd like to know how they dealt with it.

Sold!

Now, to find the best price...

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
fuuuuuuk dude. Just installed my R's 3 days ago. I noticed when u open the hatch rain water drains right on top of them and goes behind the back. idk if that matters but it freaked me out.

I noticed that as well...and I assume that's where the water is getting in from. Obviously, the seal needs to be intact to keep the water out of the housings.