GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Water in tail light!!!

jbcritch

Go Kart Champion
Because they don't carry not can they supply them...if they could, we'd all be buying them from dealerships, would we not?

But I thought people mentioned buying from dealerships. I would not due to price (always too high) but they can order any part....

If your original seller tries to screw you, go to the dealership next. Better than taking up the arse and keeping a bad light.

allset

Go Kart Champion
I noticed that as well...and I assume that's where the water is getting in from. Obviously, the seal needs to be intact to keep the water out of the housings.

that foam plate the the adapter goes into butts up tight to the car frame so i think everything behind it is water tight... i think

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
Get with Paul@KefferVW.

He's the parts manager at Keffer VW in Kernersville, NC.

SUPER mod friendly, could prolly help you out.

I don't think he's on here, but he's on the 'Tex and Facebook. FB= Paul @ Keffer VW

Lodi

Go Kart Champion
18x8 et45

I sent an email to BKS just now to find out how they'd like to handle a possible replacement light. In the meantime, if anyone has experienced this with their R tails, I'd like to know how they dealt with it.

I'm not familiar with the exact construction of the gti tails, but condensation was a common issue with RX8's. It happened to me on my old 8, solution was to remove the socket that holds the bulb, revealing the inside of the tail light housing and using a hairdryer in short spurts to keep from melting or warping the housing until you ggt rid of the moisture inside. To keep it from happening again i actually ordered a new 'gasket' (the foam backing) and gave it a good coating of a flexible silicone sealant on both sides, wherever it made contact with the housing and/or the car itself, to make sure that no more water would manage to sneak back into the housing.

Like i said, that did the trick for the 8, but i'm not sure if the gti's housings are a similar construction or not.

When it comes to shipping the tail back to BKS, if they demand you return the faulty piece before they'll send a replacement, they should at least agree to you sending it back to them via courier at their expense. I shipped a monitor back under warranty through UPS, and basically just told them that the recipients would be paying all the charges.

Either way, i feel for you dude, issues like this shouldn't come up when you pay that kind of money for product. Hopefully BKS will come through...

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
I like your suggestion, Lodi...thank you. I will take it out tomorrow to see if I can reseal the assembly in the rear (after drying it). I'm a firm believer that one should try all reasonable things before returning an item, barring anything that would nullify said return.

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
that foam plate the the adapter goes into butts up tight to the car frame so i think everything behind it is water tight... i think

Yeah...that's the area it seemed to drip back out of when I took it out and flipped it upside down/shook it. Based on that and what Lodi said, I have a starting point to see if this can be corrected before the potential headache of trying to get a replacement from Germany.

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
I would say that you would have to at least use a heat gun.

Even that makes me cringe when it's $700 lights.

OT: Specs on your wheels?

No no no, if you do try to fix it yourself do not use a heat gun. Even on a low setting, they are way too hot and can start to melt/warp plastic in a matter of seconds.

smrtypants44

Go Kart Champion
I would just take it out of the car and let it sit somewhere for like a week, then use silicone around all the seals.

Pjai

Ready to race!
I had the same problem with my far left R tail lights. BKS offered to send me some replacement ones given i sent the faulty one back.

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
Well, I tried to dry the inside out by putting a hair dryer on cool/high and blowing air inside the housing. Unfortunately, it's leaving water streaks and spots. This housing is junk and will need to be replaced. I'll let you guys know how well BKS handles the swap. I feel stuff like this is a strong reflection on a supplier/vendor so it's important to know how difficult or easy they make returns/replacements.

Lodi

Go Kart Champion
Well, I tried to dry the inside out by putting a hair dryer on cool/high and blowing air inside the housing. Unfortunately, it's leaving water streaks and spots. This housing is junk and will need to be replaced. I'll let you guys know how well BKS handles the swap. I feel stuff like this is a strong reflection on a supplier/vendor so it's important to know how difficult or easy they make returns/replacements.

Easiest solution would probably just be to go after BKS for a replacement, but while you're waiting there is something else you could try. It sounds like the water that originally got into the housing was probably pretty dirty if it's leaving streaks and spots. When i did my 8's tails, which are clear plastic lenses, it dried to a perfectly clean/clear finish. Only thing i can think of would be to purposely flood and empty the housing a few times with nice clean water to try and flush out any dirt that originally got in. Then do the hairdryer deal again and see how it turns out. A pain in the ass i know, but if BKS is slow getting back to you with an answer, and you've got some time to kill, it can't hurt to try...

Stevec717

Ready to race!
Ideally, they shouldn't just be dried, they should be dried and nitrogen filled.

Steve

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
Easiest solution would probably just be to go after BKS for a replacement, but while you're waiting there is something else you could try. It sounds like the water that originally got into the housing was probably pretty dirty if it's leaving streaks and spots. When i did my 8's tails, which are clear plastic lenses, it dried to a perfectly clean/clear finish. Only thing i can think of would be to purposely flood and empty the housing a few times with nice clean water to try and flush out any dirt that originally got in. Then do the hairdryer deal again and see how it turns out. A pain in the ass i know, but if BKS is slow getting back to you with an answer, and you've got some time to kill, it can't hurt to try...

Yeah...I was thinking of flushing them entirely. I'm afraid that might damage the LEDs, though. BKS actually got back to me today and wants me to send them the defective housing before sending me a replacement. The obvious issues I have with that are 1) that means I've got to cover shipping, which is bullshit & 2) I'll be missing an entire brake light housing while I'm waiting what will amount to 4 weeks for shipping to and from BKS