GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

REVO Stage I

GTI-2011NC

Greetings!

This is my first thread, and I am new to this forum, but I am no stranger Volkswagens, as they are the only cars I've ever owned.

I am interested to hear your opinions, the good/bad, and any other information you may have in reference to REVO stage I ECU tuning for the MK6 GTI. I have only heard and read good reviews for this product.

Here is what do I know (please, correct me if I am wrong):

I understand this flash program to be one of the best on the market, as it is not a one-size fits all option and does not require the ECU to be physically modified in any way. Also, once the parameters are unlocked, the settings can be adjusted to fit your cars unique settings to most efficient balance of power, driveability, and fuel economy. I'm told that REVO programming rarely, if ever, throws an error code and this quality is attributed to the programs ability to adapt to the ECU's/cars unique character, and in the event a problem occurs, the ECU can be cloned and sent off to REVO for analysis and correction.

These engines are derated from the factory and I seek for mine to operate a bit more within the tolerances of the engine without losing my daily-driver efficiency and driveability. Mine is scheduled for this Tuesday -- wish me luck and I will be sure to share my thoughts!

carsfeverguy

Go Kart Champion
does not require the ECU to be physically modified in any way.

Sorry to inform you bud, but the ecus on 2010 and up GTIs need to be taken out of the car physically, opened up, and a qualified installer needs to flash it.
This was not the case for 2009 and 208 and bellow years.

As far as the tunes go, everyone pretty much agrees that you should get the one that your tunning shop trusts and is familliar with, be it APR, GIAC, Revo, Unitronic (listed in alphabetical order :p)

jackgti1

Go Kart Champion
APR is the most trusted, and you can even activate and deactivate it from inside the car with a special code if you want. Revo is more aggressive, but APR is the most popular..

just my 2c

I would trust APR.

And won't surprise me if they do a update soon to their stage 1 and 2 so people can stop talking bullshit... :laugh:

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
I just got APR Stage I ECU tune last week along with APR Stage I intake. All I can say is DAMN this car screems....

I opted for APR over REVO because the local shop here informed me the Revo works on a credit system for shops and once the shop is out of credits they have to wait for more credits from Revo. According to the shop Revo isn't quick on making sure shops have credits to do the tunes. Not sure what this credit system is but I didn't want to have to deal with it since the shop had been waiting two weeks for more credits to reflash an ECU the VW dealership had accidentaly flashed back to stock.

Not to mention APR has EMCS which was a big selling feature for me.

GTI-2011NC

I just got APR Stage I ECU tune last week along with APR Stage I intake. All I can say is DAMN this car screems....

I opted for APR over REVO because the local shop here informed me the Revo works on a credit system for shops and once the shop is out of credits they have to wait for more credits from Revo. According to the shop Revo isn't quick on making sure shops have credits to do the tunes. Not sure what this credit system is but I didn't want to have to deal with it since the shop had been waiting two weeks for more credits to reflash an ECU the VW dealership had accidentaly flashed back to stock.

Not to mention APR has EMCS which was a big selling feature for me.
Great stuff all! I appreciate the feedback and the corrections. I think I'll give the REVO a go and see how it does. Does anyone have anything bad to say about REVO, except that it is not APR? I'm seeking objectivity, which is always a tall order, but I am genuinely interested to know more about ECU tuning. Also, what is the EMCS that APR offers?

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion

This has nothing to do with the topic but I will address it anyway as it is false.

Yes our system is credit based. Yes your dealer has to buy credits just as they have credit available with APR, GIAC, Unitronic, and everyone else whether it is a credit in their system or room on their credit card to purchase more flashes. This is no different then a local tire store needing to buy tires before they can sell them to you or your grocery store having to buy apples.

That being said our system is instant. You go online you buy credits you get an email a second later and you have them. There is no delay and no wait in this process. We have more dealers globally than any other tuner who all use this system all day everyday without problems.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
As some have already clarified all 2010+ ecus for this application in North America require unlocking. There is no modification required to the ecu physical but it does require the ecu to be removed from the car and opened. This is the same for all tuners.

Switching for the later med17 engine management used in these cars does not offer individual boost timing and fuel adjustment like some of our other applications. Adjustment is just between stock, 91, 93, and 100 octane modes. This is still done with our SPS or by your local Revo dealer the same as the previous applications however these ecus don't allow for the adjustable software.

mitsuplexnyc

Ready to race!
Thumbs up for Revo :thumbup:

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
This has nothing to do with the topic but I will address it anyway as it is false.

Yes our system is credit based. Yes your dealer has to buy credits just as they have credit available with APR, GIAC, Unitronic, and everyone else whether it is a credit in their system or room on their credit card to purchase more flashes. This is no different then a local tire store needing to buy tires before they can sell them to you or your grocery store having to buy apples.

That being said our system is instant. You go online you buy credits you get an email a second later and you have them. There is no delay and no wait in this process. We have more dealers globally than any other tuner who all use this system all day everyday without problems.

Perhaps you should contact 5252 motor sports here in Victoria B.C since they are your REVO centre and it was them who explained the credit system to me and the fact that I would need to wait a week or tow before I could have my ECY flashed.....

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Great stuff all! I appreciate the feedback and the corrections. I think I'll give the REVO a go and see how it does. Does anyone have anything bad to say about REVO, except that it is not APR? I'm seeking objectivity, which is always a tall order, but I am genuinely interested to know more about ECU tuning. Also, what is the EMCS that APR offers?

EMCS works much the 'same' as the COBB AP for Subaru's. APR offers Stage I 91, Stage I 93 and Stage I 100. As does REVO, GIAC etc. Each of these Stages is a different program. In other words unless you purchase all three programs, 91, 93, or 100 (octane) you will run either or. With APR and EMCS you can purchase all three programs and toggle between the three. So if your running the Stage I program on 93 octane and you run into a situation where you can only find 91 octane fuel, you can toggle to that program and toggle back to 93 when you find a station that sells 93 octane again. APR also offer various other programs like Stock, Valet, anti theft, fault code erase and lockout. All of which can be accessed using the cruise control stock in your car. I got Stock, 91 and fault code erase (whatever it's called) that way when I need to go to the dealership I can put it back to stock mode and unless they look for it, won't know I have had my ECU flashed.

Check out their website:

http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tsi_trans.html

As far as who the best company is goes, who knows? Someone running Unitronic will say Unitronic and someone running GIAC will say GIAC is the best. I don't think you'll find anyone here that has been disappointed with ANY of the ECU tuning companies, usually if there is a problem it's caused by the shop flashing the ECU.

Good luck.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
Perhaps you should contact 5252 motor sports here in Victoria B.C since they are your REVO centre and it was them who explained the credit system to me and the fact that I would need to wait a week or tow before I could have my ECY flashed.....

You were misinformed end of story. This is an issue with your dealer and not Revo. I have explained how it works and it is no different then other tuners, it does not belong in this thread.