GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Steering Noise

Powling

Ready to race!
4 weeks ago I purchased my GTI from my brother (original owner) and since noticed this sound/problem. He had never noticed it before. It's never been abused and was well taken care of and has 48,000km's. If I were to take this in to be looked at would it still be under warranty? I know the warranty is up to 80,000km's but have read some people saying this problem isn't under full warranty.

Also, it's running on H&R Super Sports, would this have caused steering noise and will it being modified void the warranty (they were installed by Pfaff, a certified Audi and VW dealer/tuning shop).

Bump, any help with this would be appreciated. I've been searching for over a week and haven't found anything to help me with this yet...

Has anyone come up with a solution for this? Its been raining in ct and I've only had my car for two months (just hit 1900mi) and am now hearing this noise... I can crank my steering wheel from lock to lock and it makes no noise unless i start to drive... It sounds like a creeking/rubbing.whining noise as the car starts to move.

I read somewhere else that its the CV boots making noise as the car moves when the wheels are close to steering lock. It was remedied by lubricating the CV boots with 3M 100% silicone lube. Does this make sense to anyone?

This makes complete sense to me and I'm curious to try this myself. It DOES sound like rubber rubbing against itself.

Same noise here, 12k miles, only in rain.

Powling

Ready to race!
This makes complete sense to me and I'm curious to try this myself. It DOES sound like rubber rubbing against itself.

Same noise here, 12k miles, only in rain.

I tried this last week, sprayed some silicone lubricant on my CV boots and it did nothing, the sound is still there.

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
bumping old thread. ive had this since new on my 2013. dealer greased up cv boots and it went away for a few weeks then it returned. yesterday we had first rain of the season and it was LOUD. loud enough that it sounded like something was wrong. need to take it in. my 2010 NEVER did this. greasing seems like a half ass remedy.

ChrisChen1990

Ready to race!
When I'm parking my car at slow speeds (< 6 mph) in the rain and I have my wheel turned all the way to the left I'm hearing a creaking sound coming from the front left wheel or steering column. I've only noticed it when it's raining, but I'll try to replicate it once the car/road dries. If the car stops moving the sound stops right away. It sounds like a door creaking :confused:

Has anyone else heard this before?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxlkP1ATS3s

Got a same issue as well. I didn't notice it until one time my friend was driving my car slowly, and I was outside of my car. Then I heard it when it turned all the way to the left. So I went to my dealership and let it fixed. But as I drive over time, it comes back when I turn all the way left. Mine sounds like the rotor is making a contact with the brake petal. :iono:

ChrisChen1990

Ready to race!
When I'm parking my car at slow speeds (< 6 mph) in the rain and I have my wheel turned all the way to the left I'm hearing a creaking sound coming from the front left wheel or steering column. I've only noticed it when it's raining, but I'll try to replicate it once the car/road dries. If the car stops moving the sound stops right away. It sounds like a door creaking :confused:

Has anyone else heard this before?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxlkP1ATS3s

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67568
^This helps.

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN

ChrisChen1990

Ready to race!
this lasts a few weeks and then goes away. this isnt a fix, more of a bandaid. my 2010 NEVER once did this. My 2013 does this on any slow turn when almost nearing full lock. I had mine greased and it was fine for a month. Then the noise returns. When it rains its horribly loud.

What kind of grease did you use? I use the Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease. And it just lasts for a long time.

Mats

Hi,

I have a mk5 golf and some times I noticed a weird sound from front side when I am in very slow speed and turning the wheel to park. This noise is not produced when stationary and with high speeds. I have change suspensions, top mounts and silent block recently. However, this didn't fix the issue. The sound is recorded in this video ( occuring on 0:09-0:15)
Any idea what is causing this noise?
noise steering vw golf