GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What constitutes "Bulletproof"?

TOE_FAST

www.TonyScavo.com
I plan on getting the APR stage 3 with all supporting APR mods - my philosophy is that by using all APR- everything will work together better than mixing & matching. I'd like to take it one step further & "bulletproof" the engine & driveline so I can enjoy the package for a long time (my goal is 200,000 miles +)

Obviously engines break down but assuming I change oil every 5k and keep everything in order, what would it take to bulletproof an APR stage 3?

For the record I live in Vegas so 91 octane is all I can run regularly except for track days (which I do plan for it's future) both drag & road course.

Mods will be
APR - ECU, RSC TBE, IC, Stage 3 components.

Additional
KW V3
BBS
LSD

Car is DSG - what else must be added for maximum reliability in all scenarios?

Thanks for the insight.

TOE_FAST

www.TonyScavo.com
This

Gonna want to install a catch can and run a water/meth system to keep oil deposits down. Build the head, and bottom. Rods, pistons, the whole 9 yards.

Get a big brake kit. The shitty stock brakes barely stop a stg2 car on stock turbo.

What's a reasonable life expectancy? Before needing a rebuild?

TOE_FAST

www.TonyScavo.com
^ I got 189,000 miles out of a jeep wrangler (inline 6) and it's entire life was spent pulling a 6x12 trailer loaded over 3,000 lbs (which is well over it's max towing rate.

I don't see why getting 200k out of this car seems so far fetched. I have to assume you think this because of how it's most often driven by the younger crowd??

At any rate, sure it's a 4 cylinder turbo but if care is given (& especially if it's built) why couldn't mileage in the 200k range be attained over a 5 year period?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
^ I got 189,000 miles out of a jeep wrangler (inline 6) and it's entire life was spent pulling a 6x12 trailer loaded over 3,000 lbs (which is well over it's max towing rate.

I don't see why getting 200k out of this car seems so far fetched. I have to assume you think this because of how it's most often driven by the younger crowd??

At any rate, sure it's a 4 cylinder turbo but if care is given (& especially if it's built) why couldn't mileage in the 200k range be attained over a 5 year period?

Are you kidding? That was one of the most reliable engines ever made. You could go 200k miles even if you changed your oil with donkey piss and used horse manure in the transmission.

The GTI has a turbo and tons of electronics that will certainly last a whole less time than that jeep.

I think 100k miles should be achievable while only dumping a water pump and an intake manifold.

By 200k you'll probably be looking at a new turbo, catalytic converter etc.

Uberryan

Banned
Are you kidding? That was one of the most reliable engines ever made. You could go 200k miles even if you changed your oil with donkey piss and used horse manure in the transmission.

The GTI has a turbo and tons of electronics that will certainly last a whole less time than that jeep.

I think 100k miles should be achievable while only dumping a water pump and an intake manifold.

Lol, what's that?

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion

turbos are actually incredibly reliable for long life...look at every single turbo diesel motor...at work i drive a kw with over 450k miles on the same turbo it was built with and that truck runs perfect still making 550hp...we also have a 1980 peterbuilt with over a million miles on the same turbo:fighting0030:

oh and if you want to say that they have easier lives thats wrong as well diesels boost much higher numbers than gasoline motors...stock super duties boost around 40psi, and big trucks build even more:thumbsup:

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
I'm trying to decide the same thing as well for my ko4'd car that is heavily tracked. Likely running in our hot socal weather caused my headgasket to leak... And likely the remainder of the engine is fine.

Both APR and GIAC/AWE say the car is fine with just stock internals. Most of the shops around here in SoCal recommend just fixing the headgasket.

Otoh on a heavily tracked car that I want to keep awhile my mechanic recommends I do it since fixing the headgasket is halfway there.

I'm leaning towards the fact that a highly tuned GTI + hot SoCal weather can benefit lots from a mishimoto radiator and fabricated external oil cooler rather than bullet proofing the engine.

So since I'm halfway there I'm considering bulletproofing the bottom end... Or saving the money... I dunno cause I'm confused and now my wife is saying a challenger srt8 fits my personality more lolz

Wether I bulletproof the bottom end or not... Cooling measures in our hot weather is more important IMHO.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Panda - what IC are you running?

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
Panda - what IC are you running?

S3 intercooler... But intercooler doesn't do anything for engine temps...

If possible I'd delete the stock intercooler location and run a FMIC like ATP or BSH... Pulling the intercooler away from the radiator keeps the two from heat soaking each other and the FMIC does a better job at cooling intake temps.

However I want to run an external oilcooler which would go into the same spot as the fmic.

TOE_FAST

www.TonyScavo.com

Yes that engine is/was fantastic, however like I said it's ENTIRE life was spent hauling more weight than it was supposed to, also many hours idling in park. I used to drive back & forth cross country for my photography and many times would pull over in rest areas to sleep & let it idle - it was making what sounded like lifter knock in New Mexico & a mechanic ran a diagnostic & thought a rod was gonna let go soon. So I just traded it in - had I not abused that jeep by overhauling it's max weight limits I have no doubt it's capable of 300k easily.

Thanks for chiming in Arin, I think I'm going to take your advice, when it's time I'm gonna do the stage 3 & internals all at once.

What about the DSG? How exactly does a HPA DSG reflash help? Or does it even? Anyone?