GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

40,000mi service (DSG) is $800!!!??? HELP!!!

PENROSE

Go Kart Champion
I'm creeping up on 40k miles. Went to the dealership today to get a wiper blade, and asked them how much my 40k service will cost. Here's how the conversation went.

ME: "So...how much?"
THEM: "Its expensive."
ME: "Haha...how expensive?"
THEM: "For a DSG, over $800."
ME: "Yeah, right."
THEM: "I'm serious."
THEM: "I'm serious."
THEM: *shrugs shoulders*.....(as if to say...."You'll see, fuck face")

I WILL LIGHT MY CAR ON FIRE BEFORE I PAY THE DEALERSHIP $800+ TO CHANGE MY FLUIDS AND SPARK PLUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:mad0259::mad0259::mad0259::mad0259::mad0259:

Can my tuner shop do this for me??? Can they do the DSG fluid flush/drain/refill? How hard of a job is that?

All the other stuff they do at 40k is bullshit. Check your bulbs, seats, wipers, air filter, rotate tires, check brake pads.......fuck all that shit.

I just want the DSG fluid...spark plugs changed (necessary at 40k?)...and an oil change. How much would a shop (not VW dealership) charge for that? Not anywhere near $800 I hope!!

I know there are some threads about this 40k service already....but they aren't talking about DSG service/prices....and options if you don't want to go to the stealership.

What are you DSG'ers paying for this service, and where are you getting it done?

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Best thing to do is google and call around and get some quotes. The dealership is so much more convenient and friendly a lot of times and you KNOW it is being done right, but sometimes, the wallet gets an extra vote. My wife and I ran into that with our old 09 Jetta TDI. When the 40k came up it was priced at about $600 at the dealer, we couldn't afford it, but I wasn't going to skimp on the scheduled service on a German car.

Found a local garage that offered VW "Factory" service.....for about half the cost. Small shop, nice enough guys, even had them do some work on our 83 944. Was always worried if it was "as good" as the dealer, but hey, the car never had any issues and was right about at 100k when we traded it in.....so.

Now, that was a manual, so, the DSG may be a bit more specific but if it's just fluid changes, it can't be THAT hard.

PENROSE

Go Kart Champion
Well...apparently...the 40k service for a DSG is a lot different ($$$) than a MT 40k service?

What if I went to the dealership and asked them to do the DSG fluid swap.....AND DO THAT.....AND ONLY THAT?

I will take care of the rest myself (my tuner)

How much would they charge just for the DSG tyranny fluid swap?

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
Well...apparently...the 40k service for a DSG is a lot different ($$$) than a MT 40k service?

What if I went to the dealership and asked them to do the DSG fluid swap.....AND DO THAT.....AND ONLY THAT?

I will take care of the rest myself (my tuner)

How much would they charge just for the DSG tyranny fluid swap?

I was referring to the DSG cost being a few hundred. I want to say it was something like 400. Then again, this was transmission fluid, not tyranny fluid. I can only imagine tyranny must be expensive.

PENROSE

Go Kart Champion
I was referring to the DSG cost being a few hundred. I want to say it was something like 400. Then again, this was transmission fluid, not tyranny fluid. I can only imagine tyranny must be expensive.

Hahaha. This fuckin phone automatically changes your words if it think you misspelled it.

Half the time I like that feature...the other half I don't.

For ex: When I started this post, I typed "Hahaha"...and it came out "Havana"

But in this case, "tyranny" fluid kinda works.

GTIProject

Ready to race!
Honestly not suprised. Depends on labor rates. Parts and labor would make sense as the full service is probably 4 hours, plus parts. DSG fluid is not cheap and drain/refill usually takes 6-7 quarts, if not more.

I work for Audi and our 4 cyl/DSG cars get plugs/pollen/oil change/dsg filter/dsg fluid at 35k, which is equivalent to VW's 40k.

To those not familiar with the filling process of the DSG - its kinda complicated. Basically you need a special fill adapter, fill the vehicle on a lift then check the DSG fluid level at a specific fluid temp. Not to mention access to the DSG filter housing is limited and removal of the airbox is required to gain access. I've always performed a basic settings of the DSG after a fluid change on top of all that.

Love how everyone is so eager to slam dealership labor rates and labor times, and then ask around on how to do their own maintenance. It's expensive because its a dealer and the labor rate reflects how long it takes to do the actual service. And since it is a "customer pay" 40k service, a tire rotation should be included as well.

soulogic

I paid $500 for the fluid + filter change 2 weeks ago and that was it. When I looked at the receipt it was like $350 something in labor.. :(

This was at the dealership.

soulogic

I think I remember my advisor saying to do just the fluid would be about $375 before taxes. I thought it was still steep, but I like to blame all inflated prices on being a Californian.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Love how everyone is so eager to slam dealership labor rates and labor times, and then ask around on how to do their own maintenance. It's expensive because its a dealer and the labor rate reflects how long it takes to do the actual service.

^ This

Seriously, dealerships are PRICEY....in my area the average independent shop charges anywhere from $75-90 an hour labor, the dealership is I think $115-125. Not a big difference until you start getting into 3-4+ hours of labor. The dealership charges more because, technically, you get more. It's almost always more convenient with a shuttle, lots of appointment choices due to larger space, and you have the peace of mind of knowing that they KNOW how to work on your car. This is mostly important to us with German and European cars because they do things so differently sometimes.

Like I said, I found a place that I could trust enough and was a big enough price difference to make the lack of convenience (not open Sat, waiting room was two chairs in the office, appointments were 2 weeks out, ect) but they specialized in German cars and factory trained techs. I wouldn't drop my German car off at Jiffy Lube or Mieneke and be happy.

Once had to have Jiffy Lube change the oil in the 09 Jetta, I had the parts but no time. When we went in they chastised us for bringing our own parts, stating they had everything we needed there and next time to just let them do it.

They then proceeded to have the entire shop gather around the bottles of oil, you know, the very SPECIFIC oil that MUST be used by VW spec and wonder at this "weird" oil they had never seen before......:rolleyes: They also charge the full price no matter if you bring your parts or not....LOL....freaking Jiffy Lube.......

There is an old adage, you get what you pay for.

What I am trying to say, in a long-winded and rambling story is, that your dealership is most likely a lot like Gandalf the White in Two Towers. He may seem scary, expensive and mean, but he's not there to hurt you......he's there to help you. :D

PENROSE

Go Kart Champion
Before I spend $850 for a tranny fluid change, I will......

A) Light my car on fire
B) Trade my car in and take a $2,500 hit

PENROSE

Go Kart Champion
I'm serious.

Anyone want to buy my car?

There's not a ding, dent, scratch on it anywhere.

I will sell it for what I owe on it. For specs on my car....see my build thread.

I will get the payoff for whoever is interested.

Fuck this shit.

PENROSE

Go Kart Champion
Snow is starting to fly around here anyway.

I'll go buy a Rubicon and not miss this car at all.

Nazi bastards.