GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ask Detailer's Domain. Have a question ask us?

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
He uses it on leather seats, so I would assume its fine for the steering wheel as well. I tried cleaning my mom's SUV steering wheel w/ just 1Z Cockpit and it didn't do a good enough job.

It actually the steering wheel with a sticky feeling afterwards. I need to buy some Plastic Cleaner for a deeper clean.

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
He uses it on leather seats, so I would assume its fine for the steering wheel as well. I tried cleaning my mom's SUV steering wheel w/ just 1Z Cockpit and it didn't do a good enough job.

It actually the steering wheel with a sticky feeling afterwards. I need to buy some Plastic Cleaner for a deeper clean.

I wasn't sure if he used the deep plastic cleaner on actual leather seats or the fake leather. But I'm going to try it out because the 1Z deep plastic cleaner works wonders on plastic trim in the interior but I don't know how it compares to the 1Z cockpit.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Plastic cleaner is a stronger detergent than cockpit. If you need cleaning power, I'd go that route. That's what I plan on doing w/ the steering wheel. Do you have cockpit? You should try that first.

I clean my leather seats w/ plastic cleaner and a 3" Griots orbital + brush attachment. Never would have thought cleaning leather could be so easy.

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
+1 for trying cockpit cleaner first. I've used that on my steering wheel and love the result. I have the deep plastic cleaner in the arsenal as my go to when the cockpit just isn't enough.

Unless you're eating Cheetos while driving the cockpit premium should be enough to clean up your steering wheel.

hippiesrock03

Go Kart Champion
+1 for trying cockpit cleaner first. I've used that on my steering wheel and love the result. I have the deep plastic cleaner in the arsenal as my go to when the cockpit just isn't enough.

Unless you're eating Cheetos while driving the cockpit premium should be enough to clean up your steering wheel.

Now I see cheese stuck in the holes of the perforated leather wheel. Gross.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

godsspeed

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey everyone!

I recently acquired a black jsw. This is my nicest car to date and want keep it nice!! Are there specific products that tons recommend for black cars? Need to get a shopping list together now that winter is finally over here in Indiana.*yuck oh, let's assume that I don't have anything yet (no machine, no polishes...a clean slate as they say)

Thanks everyone!

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Heard about the paint "sealants" recently. I understand they're not exactly the white unicorn they make themselves out to be, that a good synthetic sealant and carnauba wax would be better and look better. But coming out of winter and the season of automatic touchless washes, there's nothing left protecting my paint. Would one of these sealants hold up better against the hyperactive automatic car wash soaps? I'd just need it to last as long as winter before I get a synthetic sealant on there.

butchered by autocorrecr

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Hey everyone!

I recently acquired a black jsw. This is my nicest car to date and want keep it nice!! Are there specific products that tons recommend for black cars? Need to get a shopping list together now that winter is finally over here in Indiana.*yuck oh, let's assume that I don't have anything yet (no machine, no polishes...a clean slate as they say)

Thanks everyone!

IMO - paint is paint. Color doesn't matter much in regard to products unless there is some sort of dye/tint in it.

DD has some starter kits that would work nice for you. My best advice to you would be to check out some detailing forums and blogs to read up on detailing. There is A LOT to learn.

detailedimage.com has a very good blog on how to's.
chemical guys has an excellent youtube channel
other youtube channels: junkman, autogeek, ammonyc

dd's forum: detailingbliss.com

godsspeed

Passed Driver's Ed
IMO - paint is paint. Color doesn't matter much in regard to products unless there is some sort of dye/tint in it.

DD has some starter kits that would work nice for you. My best advice to you would be to check out some detailing forums and blogs to read up on detailing. There is A LOT to learn.

detailedimage.com has a very good blog on how to's.
chemical guys has an excellent youtube channel
other youtube channels: junkman, autogeek, ammonyc

dd's forum: detailingbliss.com

I also came across this that seemed to have some useful info -

http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html

Thanks guys!!

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Heard about the paint "sealants" recently. I understand they're not exactly the white unicorn they make themselves out to be, that a good synthetic sealant and carnauba wax would be better and look better. But coming out of winter and the season of automatic touchless washes, there's nothing left protecting my paint. Would one of these sealants hold up better against the hyperactive automatic car wash soaps? I'd just need it to last as long as winter before I get a synthetic sealant on there.

butchered by autocorrecr

Bump

butchered by autocorrecr

hippiesrock03

Go Kart Champion
Bump

butchered by autocorrecr

IMO the car wash soap at touchless places is really harsh and will strip sealants and waxes quicker than normal. My 2 coats of menzerna power lock and 2 coats of Autoglym HD lasted me 4 months with those car washes. And NC doesn't really have a rough winter.

You could look into nano coatings such as Gtechniq, Cquartz, opticoat, etc. those will hold up better than normal sealants and waxes. If you have a heated garage, ONR might be a good idea for the colder days.

Also check out collinite 845, ppl have had good luck with that and a sealant holding up through the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Yeah those soaps are strong as hell. I would try 845. Can't hurt, that stuff is really tough.

I'd use a sealant + 845. Opticoat would surely repel that stuff. It's chemical resistant.

NoSpark

Go Kart Champion
Going to try my first detail on my deep black pearl GTI. I got a Porter Cable 7424XP over the winter for $150 new and am looking for tips and compounds to use. It came with lots of pads and pad conditioner/cleaner, but no compounds.

Any advice would be most appreciated!