GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PC Gamers?

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
I play some but it goes in cycles. I'll play every night for a week then not play again for 3 months, just don't have the free time. That and my PC from 2007 has gotten to the point where it has some trouble playing modern games on nice settings.

I just installed a new (used) processor last night and did some overclocking of both it and the video card which seems to have helped tremendously but it's still pretty slow.

Before: Intel E2180 crappy vintage pentium dual core @ 2.0 GHz
Now: Intel E8400 less crappy core2duo OC'ed to 4.0GHz, $40 on ebay

Video card was a 9800GT for years but I got an AMD 7770 this summer which doesn't seem to actually run much faster sadly. The main thing it does is run more quiet and cool with less power consumption - should have gotten a GTX 560/660 but I cheaped out.

Next year sometime I'll finally build a new gaming PC with triple monitor setup.

9800GT is a solid card. I've been running mine for 3 years and it keeps up with ridiculous graphics in almost anything. Turned out my bottleneck was the processor so a new computer (i5 OC'd to 4.2, 32gb ram) did it. I've hardly reached the upper limit of the 9800GT

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
I'm still running with a 9600GT in my Q6600(quad core 2.4ghz) with 6gb of ram and it's about at the point I'm running at low settings on everything to get a good framerate.

This is what I'm looking at building. Would be scavenging some parts from my current setup and also adding a Rosewill 700watt psu that's not in their list yet.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($132.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: GeIL EVO Veloce Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($189.00 @ B&H)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($269.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

So far just picked up the i5-3750k when it was on sale for $169 at MicroCenter. Parting out the rest as my christmas wish list.

Think I'll end up picking up a couple Samsung 840s and setting up RAID0 with them.

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
I'm still running with a 9600GT in my Q6600(quad core 2.4ghz) with 6gb of ram and it's about at the point I'm running at low settings on everything to get a good framerate.

This is what I'm looking at building. Would be scavenging some parts from my current setup and also adding a Rosewill 700watt psu that's not in their list yet.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($132.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: GeIL EVO Veloce Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($189.00 @ B&H)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($269.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

So far just picked up the i5-3750k when it was on sale for $169 at MicroCenter. Parting out the rest as my christmas wish list.

Think I'll end up picking up a couple Samsung 840s and setting up RAID0 with them.

Similar setup to mine:

i5 3570k OC'd to 4.2ish
LOGISYS Computer MC3002GX 120mm Hydro CPU Cooler (Thing is AWESOME btw)
G.Skill Ripjaws
NZXT case
Apevia 680W power supply
Biostar TZ77B

^ in between $400-500 if you shop smart for that bundle. Microcenter has the best deals on processors usually, other than that Newegg is solid.

Recycled my 9800GT, "Speedplus" DVD-R, HDs, and monitor

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
9800GT is a solid card. I've been running mine for 3 years and it keeps up with ridiculous graphics in almost anything. Turned out my bottleneck was the processor so a new computer (i5 OC'd to 4.2, 32gb ram) did it. I've hardly reached the upper limit of the 9800GT

Yeah I'm thinking about swapping the 9800GT back in to see if it actually runs faster than the 7770 now that my processor is over twice as good as the old one. Then maybe eBay the 7770 if so.

JhnR

Banned
:( I used to play CS 1.6 a lot, played cal-m, cal-i. I used to play 6-8 hours a day..i was hooked on and probably had no friends back then.

Jaxper

Go Kart Champion
I only play a couple games on the PC here and there, mainly LoL if anything. I wish I could play shooters on the PC but I never got into it and it's frustrating that I can't replicate my Xbox skill level on there.

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
I like a good strategic shooter like the first Ghost Recon and some of the indie sniper games. But I'm just burned out on the glut of FPS games out there.

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
Yeah there's quite a bit of aim-assist going on with console games since they're not as precise. Have to wean yourself off that crutch.

Shini

Go Kart Champion

Good god man, 32G ram? What're you doing running 1,000 instanes of Chrome tabs and 3-4 different games at the same time?

:( I used to play CS 1.6 a lot, played cal-m, cal-i. I used to play 6-8 hours a day..i was hooked on and probably had no friends back then.

Sounds like me about 8 years ago :/ Only friends I had were CS friends over teh interwebz

Shini

Go Kart Champion
Ineteresting, didn't think anything in the world could require there to be more than 8, maybe 10 Gigs on a computer :eyebulge:

glory

Ready to race!
I currently play CS:GO the most atm. Used to play CSS, MW1,2,3, all of the prev. COD's. I have SC2 but I am terrible at it and just cant get into it lolz. Played Portal 1 & 2, and TF2. Haven't touched TF2 in about a year....wonder if I should go back to it lolz. Steam: acdc102

Rig (From memory atm): i7, 6Gb RAM, 2xGTX460, Samsing 830 Series SSD 128GB(on the way as we speak), 1TB WB Black Caviar (waiting to be installed), 2TB HDD (forget make and model), HAF-X Case, Gigabyte x58a-ud3r rev2.0.