GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Allergy sufferer's, question!

Shini

Go Kart Champion
I've exxxxxxxxxxxxxtremely allergic to dust and grass (basically the outside world right?) and I've been holding off on going to the doc and doing the allergy shots because where I work it's like pulling teeth to get our FMLA to approve it (I'd have to take off early atleast 1 day a week starting out, and I can't use appointment time everytime for it!).

I've been trying to "deal" with it by doing the honey thing, but it's not doing much, and I think it's because that's more for pollen allergies which I don't have? I could be wrong.

Anyway, anyone else share similar allergies and know a good OTC to use? Or any home remedies for me to try? An OTC Steroid nasal spray?

Edit: Also, to deal with it, I've been using oxymetazoline products (Afrin), and I think anyone that's used that stuff before knows how bad it is for you once you're addicted to it. Sometimes I think that my allergies have cleared up but it's the rebound congestion from the Afrin that keeps me stopped up, who knows though!

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion
Allegra or Claratin. Zero side effects (for me). Add nose spray if these don't work. If Allegra + nose spray doesn't work, you've got problems that need a doctor.

dragon69185

Go Kart Champion
I would say start with a basic allergy med like Zyrtec or Benadryl depending on your type of symptoms (would suggest asking the pharmacist which they would suggest more so). If that doesn't really help, then time to go to the doctor to see what can be done.

Just be aware, a lot of the meds out there are more preventative than reactive, so if you know you are going to be outside most of the day, you may want to take one in the morning when you wake up.

Just my 0.02.

KurtP1

Go Kart Champion
Most allergies come as a result of ph imbalance. There is a particular kind of calcium tablet you can take to help balance your ph. Ive used it before and reduced my symptoms to almost nothing and I didnt take any meds....I dont remember what its called but ill try to remwmber to call my nutritionist tomorrow and ask.

Id start with that before you lose your mind with pharmaceuticals.

Shini

Go Kart Champion
Allegra or Claratin. Zero side effects (for me). Add nose spray if these don't work. If Allegra + nose spray doesn't work, you've got problems that need a doctor.

What kind of nose spray are we talkin' bout here? Anything like Afrin, I'm already one, and shouldn't be on..>_<

Most allergies come as a result of ph imbalance. There is a particular kind of calcium tablet you can take to help balance your ph. Ive used it before and reduced my symptoms to almost nothing and I didnt take any meds....I dont remember what its called but ill try to remwmber to call my nutritionist tomorrow and ask.

Id start with that before you lose your mind with pharmaceuticals.

Thanks Kurt, please update me with that! How long did it take before you saw a difference in symptoms?

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
I have bad allergies too. Claritin, zyrtec, etc don't work for me very well. The best thing is a hot shower.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Flonase
Zyrtec

has helped me a lot.

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
Stay away from Benedryl and some of the older allergy medications. They will make you drowsy as hell.

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
Generic for Allegra works well for me but mine is definitely seasonal pollen/mold.

Those netti pots are an...interesting experience but they do work to flush you out before bed and such.

dust allergy is only fixed 95% when you have hardwood floors everywhere. no carpet. well for me it was. With carpet; I would wake up to 50 sneezes back to back.. Now its very very very minimal. maybe once or two times a week , I sneeze 3-4 times.

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
I'm in the second year of allergy shots and it takes 20min and your out of there. My Dr stays late one night a week as well. You can't work something out with the doc? It's the best thing I ever did.

Nasonex worked very well for me on my indoor allergies combined with Zyrtec.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Tylenol Severe Allergy......works for me. I've tried Claritin but didn't do anything but wasted money.

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
Allergy shots eventually helped my little girl's allergies work down to nothing. Still waiting to see if they work for my son.

As noted, benadryl can make you super drowsy, so try it but don't plan on driving anywhere after. I took Claritin for a few years and it worked at first, but eventually didn't help much. Good thing it's over the counter and you can buy generics in bulk at Costco if it seems to work for you.

Several years ago I started taking Singulair because my allergies started making my asthma flare up. Singulair has worked AWESOME for me. I rarely have any allergy flare ups and haven't experienced any side effects.