GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Possible new Stage 1 file from APR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredf

Go Kart Champion
Actually, it's the best response I could give.

It's called honesty.

Not quite honesty. You trashed me for bumping the thread daily when it's now been two weeks since the last bump.
We're just asking if this is something APR is working on.
We were told by you, Arin, months ago, that the Stage 1 file was in the works, next in line, and would be a fast update since it had already been readied.

Then you said, several weeks later that it was in line but not near the top.

Then you seemed to imply that APR is not working on it at that point and that it was not in line for an update at that time.

So all we're looking for is some indication as to whether this is going to happen or not.

That wouldn't seem to me to be such a tough question to be asking.

I know you guys are busy with multiple issues, including the new Mk7. But you must have a business plan in place. We just want to know if we are on it.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Not quite honesty. You trashed me for bumping the thread daily when it's now been two weeks since the last bump.

Well, I guess that's where there's a disconnect. I wasn't trashing you. That wasn't my intent at all. I was simply saying bumping it's not going to make it happen faster, AND, we do lose sight of what you guys really want / need because we're reading through all of the extra chatter.

I had this problem on a couple other feedback threads, and while I love the fun everyone's having, it does make it really difficult for me, and others, to weed through page after page looking for customer feedback that I can present to the engineers. I don't want to miss anything, and often that happens because I can't find what was said.

We're just asking if this is something APR is working on.
We were told by you, Arin, months ago, that the Stage 1 file was in the works, next in line, and would be a fast update since it had already been readied.

Yup, I did say that and that was what I was told at the time. To the best of my knowledge, that's still true too. Stage 1 should be the next major old file revision. But, just like before, I really can't predict when that will happen with everything we're working on at the moment.

Then you said, several weeks later that it was in line but not near the top.

As far as I know, it's still at the top of the "revision" list.

Then you seemed to imply that APR is not working on it at that point and that it was not in line for an update at that time.

We haven't started it.

So all we're looking for is some indication as to whether this is going to happen or not.

If I say yes, it may not happen for a while.

If I say no, it may happen sooner.

I just can't give you a concrete because I don't have one. Once we start working on it, I'll let everyone know.

I know you guys are busy with multiple issues, including the new Mk7. But you must have a business plan in place. We just want to know if we are on it.

Even with a plan in place, it's easy for that to change the next day. That's just how software and calibration is I suppose.

Maybe if we can hire 3 or 4 more calibrators up to the speed of our top guys, we'll be able to get to stuff like this more quickly.

fredf

Go Kart Champion
Arin: I can accept that as an answer. So it is in line but it hasn't been started. Therefore there is not even an estimated delivery time.

While that is frustrating, at least it's information.

And, to be clear, I am bumping this file every week or so just as a reminder for information. I do not expect you to respond if there is nothing to say.

I fully understand that you monitor a number of threads on several forums.

As stated previously, there are more Stage 1/2 guys than there are KO4.

PatrickGTIVI

Ready to race!
Actually, it's the best response I could give.

It's called honesty.

Thanks for proving my point on the patronizing aspect, though you've provided more than enough evidence of that in the past.

It's your job to field customer questions, you chose this and continue to choose it as a profession, try doing it without whining or talking down to others.

Nitron

Ready to race!
Arin: I can accept that as an answer. So it is in line but it hasn't been started. Therefore there is not even an estimated delivery time.

While that is frustrating, at least it's information.

And, to be clear, I am bumping this file every week or so just as a reminder for information. I do not expect you to respond if there is nothing to say.

I fully understand that you monitor a number of threads on several forums.

As stated previously, there are more Stage 1/2 guys than there are KO4.

Aren't you the winey princess that started this rumor thread? What a tool you are for bumping your own rumor and then criticizing APR for not giving you a pony.

APR doesn't have to do shit.

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
Just an FYI, usually when we start getting deep into a project, like a file update, I like to give you guys info when I have it. So, no worries there. When it's in full swing, and I have some results, I'll start feeding it to you guys. : )

On that note, is there any way for us to "tap the shoulder" so to speak of the engineers to say "Hey, we're still hoping for that sweet new update, any love?"? Rather than continue to sound like prima-donnas like most in this thread sound, I'd like us to sound more like we're just really excited about getting some of the features that the K04 guys got.

I've been thinking more and more about going K04 just so I could get the features introduced, but right now I don't have the money so I'm saving up, but it'll be a while (have to do house projects too, or wife will kill me).

What other kind of feedback would you like from us? Additional feature requests? Let us know so we can get you what you need to start pushing this forward, and see if they will give us one last hoorah before MK7 takes over for good :thumbsup:

Thanks for proving my point on the patronizing aspect, though you've provided more than enough evidence of that in the past.

It's your job to field customer questions, you chose this and continue to choose it as a profession, try doing it without whining or talking down to others.

Stop acting like spoiled rotten princesses, and maybe you'll get a better reaction? It's not just you, it's multiple people, so when it compounds and goes at one guy, he tends to get frustrated, and I can see exactly where he's coming from.

Aren't you the winey princess that started this rumor thread? What a tool you are for bumping your own rumor and then criticizing APR for not giving you a pony.

APR doesn't have to do shit.

Well, to be honest, it's not really a rumor since it was confirmed, but still, way too many babies in this thread.

Clean it up and act mature, start gearing this more towards the tune update and questions/features in regards to that. Let's move this in the right direction, rather than pissing APR employees off and making them not want to do our tune...

aimalick

Ready to race!
love you arin, keep kicking ass. let us know when we can go faster :)

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
So what features would everyone like to see incorporated into the next version of APR Stage 1 and Stage 2 software?

Some have mentioned they would like to see K04 V3 features, but.....

I believe that the boost threshold is already being pushed to the max on the IHI turbo so there’s not much room there. Horsepower and torque numbers are respectable for an ECU mod that ONLY requires a downpipe. I like to think that if APR was able to safely add a few more ponies or a bump in torque then we would already be enjoying it.

Currently, I don’t experience any wheel hop or tire roasting off the line so please don’t incorporate any torque by gear features. I DON’T want a loss of low-end torque and/or boost just so some people can mash the pedal off the line and expect miracles to happen.

The day-to-day versatility of my current APR tune is perfect. One minute I can be putting along getting great fuel economy, the next minute playing racecar driver going all out and yet a moment later take my wife out to a nice restaurant without breaking her neck from whiplash because of massive torque spikes. The nice linear curve of Stage 2 is just right in my opinion.

Honestly, I think that both stages are going to be pretty hard to perfect on what is already a very good tune. Course this is just my .02.

rpandresen

Ready to race!
I agree completely with GoodTimesIndeed. Extra power would always be nice, but I don't want to risk my turbo any more. And I definitely don't want them to limit torque anywhere. I love the ability to break loose in second and third gear.

The only feature I really want them to incorporate is reducing rev hang for us manual drivers. With my new clutch it is extremely bothersome and I'm contemplating moving to DM and spending all that money just to rid myself of rev hang.

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
So I'll try to keep a list of feature requests together for the stage 1 and 2 guys - I get busy, so I may not be able keep all the way up to date on this though.
Arin, do you want a separate list for stage 1 and 2 guys, or just a general list?

I've added a couple features that I would like to see, as well as added the ones mentioned above. I'll go through this thread and try to skim for other features as well, and add them to the list.

Feature Requests

* Optional Torque management.
- Maybe an option or addition to the file, but only if specifically requested by the user at the time of the update; Otherwise maybe a way to enable/disable the feature via the mobile app for those that really want it.
* Rev Hang delete.
* 2nd/3rd and/or 3rd/4th Boost/Shifting issue
- Throttle body doesn't fully open right away, causing boost to sit at less than 3 psi after shifting, until foot is lifted and gas reapplied, or until waiting for the TB to finally open.
* Custom/Pro tune
- Not sure if this is already available or not (haven't heard about it if it is), but maybe the option to have a "pro" tune as other tuners (in other markets usually) call it. The ability to go in and get a tune specific to the mods on your car. This way someone who has multiple mods above and beyond the requirement for stage 1 / 2 can get more power (if the power is safely available). If this is something that could be made available (probably for an additional cost) I could definitely see myself being very interested.
* Additional Power
- This goes hand in hand with the custom/pro tune. If additional power can be safely squeezed out of the car, I'm sure there would be no complaints. If the turbo is maxed out, obviously no one is going to want to risk a turbo failure, but if more can be had, I'm all for it.
*E85 Tune
- This is being worked on by another tuner, and I believe there is some desire for this by APR users as well.
*DSG Throttle delay
*DSG Pedal Control

- See post #156 by DSGVW for details on that one. His quote, "For instance, us DSG folks take off from a stop and the car is just bogging along in D, zero power to be had. Move your foot 1/4 inch on the throttle and BOOM, downshift and full boost and tire slippage and hoonery ensues. This is insanity in daily driving. Sounds like APRs new tune will allow for more pedal control so you won't lose anything down low, you will just have ot push more throttle to get more throttle, the way it should be."
*Smoother power delivery, less surge from low speeds/stopped
- Post #175
*No Lift Shifting
- Not sure what this would entail, or if it's really desired by anyone, but it seems like it would be an interesting feature to have.

Stage 1 Specific

*Jerkiness
- No idea on the specifics of this, can someone explain to me? Just something I came across. (Post #36 by dcpppf)

If you have additional features you would like to see, post them, I'll add them to the list, and continue to modify it as needed. Any input from Arin would be much appreciated; if something will never be a possibility, let me know and I can remove it from the list.

Last edited:

spessx

Ready to race!
Hi Arin

I have a feature or refinement request for the next version of the Stage 1 software. My car's driveability get's pretty bad in the summer heat (I'm in Texas). There's more lag and the power works like a light switch, then surges during acceleration when the heat gets above 90 degrees. I usually end up having to switch back to the stock image for smooth driveability in the summer months - otherwise the car is frustrating to drive.

It's been this way since my car had 3k miles on it (now at 50k) and on both iterations of the Mk6 Stage 1 software.

Anything you guys can do to help with that would be amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.