GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk6 vs MK7, my simple auto show comparison

RomeToDetroit

Passed Driver's Ed
The interior as a whole, but especially the steering wheel, is a deal-breaker. What were they thinking? The MKVI steering wheel is a gem, and had VW been smart, they would have only slightly modified it.

The R is the only trim I would consider (though way out of my price range). There's just something about the new one that really differentiates it from the GTI. IMO, the difference in the MKVII R and GTI is far more significant than the difference in the MKVI R and GTI.

65Strad

Ready to race!
I think cheap is the new VW. I couldn't understand what the OEM lip was people were buying until I realized it was standard on my 2010, and then removed in 2011+ model years.

Not quite sure what the OEM lip is. I thought that 2010-2014 bodies were essentially identical. Any pictures that display this "lip"?

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Added some photos from chicago show (not me). Here is the akward oversized sunroof imo. i guess its panoramic? while the added light would be nice, see how far back it goes..almost the length of the 5 door

And here you go, this was just added 5 hours ago. Filmed at CAS

Last edited:

adolan21

Ready to race!
I don't see the big deal in plastic, who cares, do people sleep on their dashboards or something, looks good to me.
Just glad they upped the power, for the original hot hatch vw has been doing gti short where it matters for way too long.

I sleep on my superior interiors dashboard, don't you? The rubber is softer than my pillow top mattress.

nakenyon

Go Kart Champion
Added some photos from chicago show (not me). Here is the akward oversized sunroof imo. i guess its panoramic? while the added light would be nice, see how far back it goes..almost the length of the 5 door

And here you go, this was just added 5 hours ago. Filmed at CAS

That is a incredible awkward sunroof. Not a fan at all. I enjoy the panoramic sunroofs that they have in the Tiguans, but I think they could have executed it better in the GTI if that it is the route they were trying to to go.

Rascal

Ready to race!
The interior as a whole, but especially the steering wheel, is a deal-breaker. What were they thinking? The MKVI steering wheel is a gem, and had VW been smart, they would have only slightly modified it.

The R is the only trim I would consider (though way out of my price range). There's just something about the new one that really differentiates it from the GTI. IMO, the difference in the MKVII R and GTI is far more significant than the difference in the MKVI R and GTI.

Gotta agree. The steering wheel especially is kinda awful. Also, didn't realize they changed the sunroof like that. R looks better in general.

Anyway, just did the "Italian tuneup" thing on my mkVI this morning, and it is running like a top :thumbsup: So I'm personally not too concerned about the mk7 at the moment. :p

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Went to dc auto show with my family weeks ago, only mk7 there was a eurospec tdi, ie soft dash (vin # starts with W) my mom said its the same :laugh:

I personally like the regular golf and golf r better in terms of exterior looks, but i will test drive both dsg and manual when they arrive at local dealer

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I am so torn on this car still...

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Love the dash's slant towards the driver, love the panoramic sunroof. I even like the side badges, though I wish they'd have left that detail for the performance pack. I don't particularly like upbadging when it's not deserved.

About the plastic dash - it's not the shiny plastic that bothers me it's the fact that it's flat. The mk6's architecture so-to-speak is excellent. The way everything curves together, especially around the gauge cluster, is really upscale. This is a retreat backwards.

butchered by autocorrecr

KO7

Ready to race!
Really perplexed why they drastically changed the much lauded steering wheel.
Now it looks like something that belongs in a domestic muscle car.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

I don't know why the changed one of the greatest wheels in the automotive kingdom either.
It's still a nice wheel, but it's not as nice.

I do prefer that lower spoke on the MK7's wheel though.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion

Heh, it looks like the whole gauge cluster belongs in a new-age domestic muscle car.

butchered by autocorrecr

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61495

My test of the Mk7 GTi link above. Scroll to post 17 Rooster1050 put all my pics together including a close up of the dash/nav screen. I didnt in any way notice the plastic as annoying and shiny on my test. I drove it during daylight etc.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61495

My test of the Mk7 GTi link above. Scroll to post 17 Rooster1050 put all my pics together including a close up of the dash/nav screen. I didnt in any way notice the plastic as annoying and shiny on my test. I drove it during daylight etc.

Somehow that glossy material that surrounds the nav. in your fourth image has become misunderstood as the entire dash being hard plastic, and somehow symbolic of a cheapening of materials in the entire vehicle.
Go figure.

As for the other things: Console canted towards driver, "ungainly" (I thought they were panoramic :iono:) sunroof, red stripe through headlights, and fender badges.
Liking those or not liking them is no indication of quality.
All that stuff is subjective, and as for me - I like them all.