GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk6 vs MK7, my simple auto show comparison

Not quite sure what the OEM lip is. I thought that 2010-2014 bodies were essentially identical. Any pictures that display this "lip"?

I had a 2010. Mine din't have this lip you speak of, although a few people ordered it and stuck it on. It was a popular option is Europe.

It did not come stock in the US and I think it looks rather Home Depot IMHO.

Last edited:
The Golf R is HOT, the mk7 GTI not so much.

If I needed a car in 2015 I would put that on the top of my list.

Winoman

Ready to race!
Really perplexed why they drastically changed the much lauded steering wheel.
Now it looks like something that belongs in a domestic muscle car.

agree

I don't know why the changed one of the greatest wheels in the automotive kingdom either.
It's still a nice wheel, but it's not as nice.

Agree

dwgolf

Ready to race!
Would take the 7R. My wife says it looks like a turtle.

I think the GTI lower grill look exaggerated

speedster

Go Kart Champion
I had a 2010. Mine din't have this lip you speak of, although a few people ordered it and stuck it on. It was a popular option is Europe.

It did not come stock in the US and I think it looks rather Home Depot IMHO.

It came stock on my 2010. The car looks weird without it, there's a big gap in the front where the lip is supposed to go.

That's why people pay $170 to buy after market something that should come standard.

With

Without

Last edited:

speedster

Go Kart Champion

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
One thing that I dont like is how where the side mirrors are there is a small triangular window now? Looks very Honda Civic like. Dont like that.

I do like how the R is now coming to the USA with a DSG but pushing $40g's? mmmmm Right around that price range opens up allot of doors to allot of nice cars.

Tough to say, will have to see one in person myself. Im holding onto my MK6 for a bit, plan on giving it to my Daughter in a few years. Then I will look for something else.

Jeff

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
It's standard in Germany - the front spoiler.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
It came stock on my 2010. The car looks weird without it, there's a big gap in the front where the lip is supposed to go.

That's why people pay $170 to buy after market something that should come standard.

With

Without

One bad thing about the lower lip is you cant use a bra on the front of the car. For road trips I like to put the bra on and it helps with nicks form rocks and such.

If that lower spoiler actually was functional?? I would consider it. I think its just for aesthetics. Unless someone can prove otherwise?

Jeff

speedster

Go Kart Champion
One bad thing about the lower lip is you cant use a bra on the front of the car. For road trips I like to put the bra on and it helps with nicks form rocks and such.

If that lower spoiler actually was functional?? I would consider it. I think its just for aesthetics. Unless someone can prove otherwise?

Jeff

It prevents lift and sends more air through the radiator. Basically the air traveling under the car has a higher speed so it has a lower pressure, leading to more down force. The effect starts to be considerable around 60 mph, so worthwhile if you track you car, otherwise not so much.

Speedster: Did you buy your car brand-new in 2010?

I bought mine in 2010 and all the cars a I saw on the lot came WITHOUT that little parking stop curb scraper...erm Lip spoiler.

If indeed you got that stock on yer brand-new GTI, that is lovely and you got lucky..I suppose I would flaunt it too if I had it./

As for aerodynamics, an underengine/ front underside tray is way better for pushing air to the radiator and shaping air underneath the car than a small plastic trip piece ahead of the radiator and in the middle of the front nose. Your 2010 prolly has an underengine tray so you're good there too and you prolly have much more downforce and radiator cooling at the front than most of us above 70 mph.

It's not about air going under the car, cos air will go under such a "tall" car regardless of a little lip spoiler, it's the shape and direction of that air that is much more important in terms of stability and downforce. A set of AUdi S3/ TT undercar trays and control arm air diverters are the most effective pieces for downforce'/ air shaping and yes, they fit the mk6 Golf. (since you're deep into downforce and all)

Last edited:

speedster

Go Kart Champion
Speedster: Did you buy your car brand-new in 2010?

I bought mine in 2010 and all the cars a I saw on the lot came WITHOUT that little parking stop curb scraper...erm Lip spoiler.

If indeed you got that stock on yer brand-new GTI, that is lovely and you got lucky..I suppose I would flaunt it too if I had it./

As for aerodynamics, an underengine/ front underside tray is way better for pushing air to the radiator and shaping air underneath the car than a small plastic trip piece ahead of the radiator and in the middle of the front nose. Your 2010 prolly has an underengine tray so you're good there too and you prolly have much more downforce and radiator cooling at the front than most of us above 70 mph.

It's not about air going under the car, cos air will go under such a "tall" car regardless of a little lip spoiler, it's the shape and direction of that air that is much more important in terms of stability and downforce. A set of AUdi S3/ TT undercar trays and control arm air diverters are the most effective pieces for downforce'/ air shaping and yes, they fit the mk6 Golf. (since you're deep into downforce and all)

Yeah. I bought it new. I couldn't understand all the talk about OEM lip spoilers. I assumed it was standard.

Anyway, to get back on topic, it does seem to me that many things that were standard in 2010 like the leather wrapped steering wheel and stereo with the large touch screen display became optional in 2011 once they went with the standardized configurations.

Plus I paid 23k new with dynaudio, sun roof and summer tires.

I have the impression prices have gone up and you get less as the model years have rolled by. Plus its not even made in Germany anymore. Oh well, I guess the VW shareholders are happy.

usually first year imports will be stuffed full of niceties. We've seen this from vw in the past wher'e they'll start leaving off items as the model becomes a bit older.. (headlamp washers on mk5/ larger but slower Nav from 2010 to 2011/ underbody aero parts/ smaller brake discs in rear/ standard xenons now optional etc)

Gatanes

Ready to race!
In my opinion mk6 looks better but the new mk7 is a better car , more power , better chassis , more lighter...

formul8

My GLI farts
usually first year imports will be stuffed full of niceties. We've seen this from vw in the past wher'e they'll start leaving off items as the model becomes a bit older.. (headlamp washers on mk5/ larger but slower Nav from 2010 to 2011/ underbody aero parts/ smaller brake discs in rear/ standard xenons now optional etc)

Most companies do the opposite. They add stuff as the model gets older to get them to sell.