GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Next Car Swap

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Drove the forester to get gas tonight. Everytime I drive it I wish I had it instead of the gti. It is way lighter on its feet and more responsive handling. Tank range is 350 miles. Average mpg is now between 23-24. I love the cvt, it is the smoothest thing in the world.

Nice! Im up to 18mpg around town in the STi. Halfway through the break-in.

Wykdtron

Ready to race!
Drove the forester to get gas tonight. Everytime I drive it I wish I had it instead of the gti. It is way lighter on its feet and more responsive handling. Tank range is 350 miles. Average mpg is now between 23-24. I love the cvt, it is the smoothest thing in the world.

Wrx time maybe..... :). Considering you like the forester you could just get a wrx which has the same engine and trans setup!

That being said have you thought that maybe the GTI is slower because you are now occasionally driving around an awd turbo vehicle. Its very possible that driving the forester makes you think the GTI is slower.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
i dont want a wrx style car. i like the higher up SUV with the same power. unfortunately, my wife got my dream car before i did. so mine will be a SRT Charger some day, if i ever start making more money.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
I think the Forester drives so much better than my GTI, it made me think my GTI is slower.

Gotchya, that makes sense I guess. But on the GTI front there could be something wrong with it but, I really do believe it feels slower due to driving the Forester XT around. That awd even on a slow car can make you think your fwd car is slow.

ya the GTI is pretty good right now, after the changes i made yesterday.

- 93 tune downgraded to 91 tune to better match my true gas octane
- DV+ removed, back to stock DV, whistle gone
- Apexi-Flo intake removed, stock intake reinstalled

I was actually getting the traction control flashing a lot this morning on hammered runs. Was pretty cool. But the Forester is a better car in every way.

Wykdtron

Ready to race!
Well its good that the GTI is running better after tweaking it.
Don't let the Forester make you feel like the GTI is inadequate because if you can keep driving the GTI for a while I would bet you be able to afford the SRT Charger. Another positive note is it would seem that the MK6 GTI is holding value slightly better than it has been due to the MK7 having some turbo issues. I don't know if that helps you feel better about the GTI or not but I know it helps me out!

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Well its good that the GTI is running better after tweaking it.
Don't let the Forester make you feel like the GTI is inadequate because if you can keep driving the GTI for a while I would bet you be able to afford the SRT Charger. Another positive note is it would seem that the MK6 GTI is holding value slightly better than it has been due to the MK7 having some turbo issues. I don't know if that helps you feel better about the GTI or not but I know it helps me out!

i am even on my GTI payoff right now actually. Remember that tentative offer a few days ago was $18,500. I owe $18,800. I want to be above water $3000 before I move. At this rate thats another year.

MK7 Turbo issues? hehe... you know that will make every MK6 owner happy deep inside.

My wife had a job interview a couple days ago. (for a diff position at her same place.)

I have a phone screening interview this afternoon for a different job. Probably pays less, but at least I wouldnt hate coming to work every day.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Damn, my last offer was $15k. Ask me how happy I was about that!

you must have a lot more miles than my 22k?

all about finding the right dealer. and all my best dealer contacts came from putting my car on craigslist. so don't consider all those dealers spam when they bug you, sometimes they will have legitimate offers.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
you must have a lot more miles than my 22k?

all about finding the right dealer. and all my best dealer contacts came from putting my car on craigslist. so don't consider all those dealers spam when they bug you, sometimes they will have legitimate offers.

My mileage is 18,000 on a 2013 driver's edition. I tried other dealerships and the most I was offered on trade was $15,500. Not going to happen on a car that I had less than 1.5 years.

Edit: I knew depreciation was bad on European cars but I didn't know it was THIS bad.

Last edited:

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
My mileage is 18,000 on a 2013 driver's edition.

oh DANG... ya that is a pretty bad offer. if you lived in sf bay area you could sell to my same connection for at least $18k.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
I am stuck in my R forever it seems. If I am lucky, I will still be break-even when the MT mk7 R comes out.

well ya.. you took maybe a bigger hit than me on that thing. but you been enjoying it a long time at least.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
I did take a hit for sure. Water under the bridge at this point. Now it is about what makes sense going forward both financially and practically. That is a hard thing to balance.

you're still not broke even on private sale value yet?