GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Next Car Swap

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Why tune it? Do you feel like it doesn't have enough power ? 40-50 hp... would being that tiny 2.0 to over 300hp... can the rest of the car handle it? Transmission/clutch?

the better question is, why NOT tune it.. its fun as-is, but it could approach superbee speeds real quick.

this is a highway car, not an around town car. because of that damn stickshift. you just can't smash it to hell trying to get a huge launch from a dig. the car drives best in 3rd gear on, where you have more time to plan and execute your shifts. the 1-2 shift is brutal, there isnt really any way to do it fast without crunching it or missing the powerband.

another mod (accessory) should be arriving today.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
the better question is, why NOT tune it.. its fun as-is, but it could approach superbee speeds real quick.

this is a highway car, not an around town car. because of that damn stickshift. you just can't smash it to hell trying to get a huge launch from a dig. the car drives best in 3rd gear on, where you have more time to plan and execute your shifts. the 1-2 shift is brutal, there isnt really any way to do it fast without crunching it or missing the powerband.

another mod (accessory) should be arriving today.

Why not? OK lets start there.
1. Subaru is anal about warranty coverage, plenty of cars were denied warranty claims because of tunes.
2. Some dude bro came up with the tune in his garage and it hasn't been tested/proven anywhere near stock subaru levels
3. Your car has 150 miles on it.. not even broken in etc, i'd wait a few months before throwing the ECU tune out the window
4. How is the reliability with this tune? Does anyone even have enough miles to see what happens with it on the car? It is too much of an unknown.

shdwblugti

Go Kart Champion
1. Subaru is anal about warranty coverage, plenty of cars were denied warranty claims because of tunes.
2. Some dude bro came up with the tune in his garage and it hasn't been tested/proven anywhere near stock subaru levels
3. Your car has 150 miles on it.. not even broken in etc, i'd wait a few months before throwing the ECU tune out the window
4. How is the reliability with this tune? Does anyone even have enough miles to see what happens with it on the car? It is too much of an unknown.

I was going to say this engine is still fairly new, anything can break or go wrong
Clutch? How reliable is the new clutch post tuning

2013R

Drag Race Newbie

i have probably researched all of that 10X more than anyone here, and im not about to waste time posting it here. you want those answers, go hang on the Subaru forums and read about it.

im not talking about tuning before 1000 miles or anything, i dont even want to spend the money right now.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
looks same to me

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
this might be the best handling *stock* car i have ever owned. It is way more confidence inspring than my 2008 135i was. That car tended to want to lose its back end all the time. I'll have to make a few hill drive videos sometime and expand on that. it just stays FLAT.. totally different than the GTI in turns. i might have had better handling cars in my days, but that was all aftermarket sways and springs, and much rougher rides than this thing. for the comfort this ride provides, the handling is amazing. starting to think the bumpy ride might be about equal to my MK6 GTI, not really better. about the same road feel.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
this might be the best handling *stock* car i have ever owned. It is way more confidence inspring than my 2008 135i was. That car tended to want to lose its back end all the time. I'll have to make a few hill drive videos sometime and expand on that. it just stays FLAT.. totally different than the GTI in turns. i might have had better handling cars in my days, but that was all aftermarket sways and springs, and much rougher rides than this thing. for the comfort this ride provides, the handling is amazing. starting to think the bumpy ride might be about equal to my MK6 GTI, not really better. about the same road feel.

Glad you are enjoying it man! I have the manual in the STi and the auto in the BMW. Its good to have one of each for the different driving experience. Dont sweat it just keep pressing!

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
apparently they were toking more than me... said I'd get anywhere between 14k and 16.5k:laugh:

Yea I don't see more than 20k trade on a R with over 70k miles... sorry brah. Private party is your best bet. I think you can probably get 21-22 that way.

JT641

Banned
Don't know if it's been said, But the best way to truly get rid of rev hang is to ditch the heavy ass stock dual mass flywheel for a light weight single mass flywheel, Much easier to rev match on down shifts. Made a big difference on my GTI