GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So, I got a GTI...

czirrfb

Banned
I noticed the power doesn't really kick in until like 3k+ RPM's thats when I really start to feel it, I imagine that's turbo lag?

1-3k RPM's is kinda weak.

And yeah the lil light came on on the spedo I think it's the traction light? When in 2nd gear.

jbetts1790

Ready to race!
Yes turbo lag, but once you get Stage 1, that lag will be less noticeable and closer to 2k rpm. Since your car is new to you, I'd recommend to drive around a while and get a feel for it, then get the Stage 1 when the tuning companies have sales around Spring time! I had my GTI for at least 6 months and then got Unitronic Stage 1+ while on sale.

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using Tapatalk

mikeleemk6

Go Kart Champion
Great. So now i'm all paranoid over my water pump breaking. Why can't VW build cars that go at least 100k miles without major issues? It's 2015!

I have had 2 pumps in the last year replaced, going in for the third next week.

littleturbodub

Ready to race!
Welcome to the forum man and congrats on your new car. Sucks you were in an accident, but thankfully you're alive.

Unfortunately with VWs you must pay to play meaning you gotta dish out a pretty coin to enjoy your car. If you don't, keep your car stock and enjoy it.

Water pumps are notorious for going bad, it was a huge flaw, but don't worry your warranty covers it for now. My friend has an early 2012 gti and has gone through 4 water pumps. He bought the car brand new and his first year and went through 3 water pumps. Shit happens.

The R8 coilpacks are more preventative care maintenance than anything else if you want to be tuned. Trust me, you don't want to go into limp mode with the stock coilpacks dying on you. Worst feeling ever.
Aside from shitty waterpumps, if you own a manual transmission you also have a crappy clutch. Stock clutches have died around 30K miles on these cars. Tuning your car kills it faster. Unfortunately, you don't know when it'll happen, but it will (especially when tuned)

Other than that, keep up with your maintenance, take care of your car and you'll be set.
I'm on my 4th VW and I love them, aside from some headaches you may encounter, the juice was worth the squeeze, and will continue to do so time after time.

Good luck with your car, and read up on here if you get lost or have questions. Owning a VW can be a horrible experience if you don't know some basic information

czirrfb

Banned
Great. I already regret getting a VW, I should have gotten something else. Now i'm stuck. Dammit....

About how much is a water pump plus labor? And I have 50k miles on the car,'m not sure how much warranty I have left.

czirrfb

Banned
U cant go wrong w stage 1
Accept for the fact my clutch will break and i'll need new coil packs and multiple water pumps. But other than that...

I should just add an addition $5k on top of this car that i'll need to put into repairs over the next 50k miles.

mikeleemk6

Go Kart Champion
Accept for the fact my clutch will break and i'll need new coil packs and multiple water pumps. But other than that...

I should just add an addition $5k on top of this car that i'll need to put into repairs over the next 50k miles.

Coil packs are like 78$ shipped for the set if you need them, water pumps are covered till 60k, but if you want power you will have to pay to play.

Rellikx

Passed Driver's Ed
Coil packs are like 78$ shipped for the set if you need them, water pumps are covered till 60k, but if you want power you will have to pay to play.

Not to mention that some people don't even need a new clutch/coils when going Stage 1.

czirrfb

Banned
I dont like the "pay to play" saying.

I honestly just think German cars are poorly built. There really is no excuse for it.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
How much is a water pump for OUT of warranty?

iirc $300.

Theres also a DIY thread on here on how to replace yourself.

Buying a VW is like Russian roulette, when you get a good one, you get a really good one, otherwise you'll deal with some issues from time to time, probably a once or twice a year.

Wykdtron

Ready to race!

Ok I have 45,000 miles on my car and have yet to replace a water pump. I do know at 60,000 I most likely will have to do carbon cleaning but thats not a huge issue. Stage 1 does help, but it might be worth waiting and driving the car around stock for a while (I drove my car for 1.5 yrs stock until I started to get bored a bit then went stage 1 and its been great ever since). I also noticed that someone said you had clear side-markers on your car. There is a good chance that this car could be tuned already and just placed in stock mode. If its a manual there is a chance that the clutch could have been upgraded.

Also I bought my R8 coils online for 25 bucks a piece so total was 100 for all 4. Which is not as expensive as you think. Just make sure to do your research before you buy and you can get an excellent deal on coils. One other thing is this car has actually been extremely easy to work on check out the DIY section of this forum and there are so many videos of how to do your own maintenance and mods.

And to make you feel even better, my 2011 GTI has been more reliable then my 2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Wagon.

Also go on any car forum and your gonna notice that every car seems like its unreliable. Car forums are where people go to bitch about their issues with their cars so take what you read with a grain of salt.

czirrfb

Banned
How can I check if it has already been tuned? Will I need to go to the APR shop?

And can a local mechanic do a quick jack up of the car and inspect the clutch and tell me if it looks good without taking anything apart?