GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So, I got a GTI...

Irishbri

Go Kart Champion
OP, believe me, I too went through "forum shock" when I first bought my 2012 Base Model 6MT. I was like, Oh no, what did I get myself into.....water pumps and clutches and coil packs, oh my

Then I said eff it and had it stage 1 tuned and I completely fell in love with the car....I mean head over heels.....not withstanding the fact that my clutch started slipping intermittently almost immediately after the tune, and all the attendant obsessive reading on my options, I STILL love the car. (evem more since I dropped $900 on a drop in disk and Throw out bearing that is holding everything I can throw at it with Stage 1 power.

The car has 55000, 16000 of it tuned and that has been my only issue. That is truly a "pay to play" scenario and as was so eloquently stated earlier....

.... the juice was worth the squeeze, ...

PS: FWIW Many people have Stage 1 tunes (and more) with no stock clutch slippage...

heres hoping you become one of them....

don't fret....
farfegnugen.jpg

Irishbri

Go Kart Champion
I don't think I understand the pay to play thing. You can get a japanese car thats equally as nice or nicer interior wise and much faster and more reliable. Like a Lexus. I think that German cars are just not made very well, or with cheap parts. Why else would things constantly be breaking?

At least that's the conclusion I have came to.

You can drive a civic to 200,000 miles with only changing the oil and having 0 issues the entire time.

Yeah...but its a Civic.....apples and oranges my friend

Signed.

Guy who traded a Civic in on A GTI

phuccer1

Ready to race!
I am the second owner of my 2012 GTI. Bought it at 15k miles and now I am at 57K. Only issues I ran into were, waterpump failing at around 38k and got that replaced under warranty.

Second, a month after purchase I noticed my window seals were cracked on the inside and made a horrible screech when rolling the windows up or down. Got that replaced under warranty.

Third, if you don't turn your AC off a minute or two before turning the car off, it will develop a funky smell in the air conditioning. Kinda weird because I never had this problem in my 3 previous vehicles. But I just end up replacing the cabin filter every 10-12k miles and use the ozone spray into the vent system.

Other than that, awesome car. You'll really enjoy it :D

kern417

Go Kart Champion
my water pump didn't leak until 80k but still. just something to be aware of.

the car isn't for broke people but it's not that bad either. if anything i'd say the cost of aftermarket parts is what's absurd, not maintenance.

czirrfb

Banned
Just called the local APR shop.

$50 to check if it has been modded
$675 to add stage 1 (including install)

Now the question is. Should I do it? I JUST got the car this weekend.

mikeleemk6

Go Kart Champion
Just called the local APR shop.

$50 to check if it has been modded
$675 to add stage 1 (including install)

Now the question is. Should I do it? I JUST got the car this weekend.

Not sure if your trolling. One sec you hate the car, and german engineering is shitty, the next you are asking whether to get it tuned?!:dnftt:

czirrfb

Banned
I am not "trolling" I am just wondering if I should get the stage 1 so quickly after buying the car. I would hate for my clutch to break in the first month of getting the car.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
call the big ones and give them your vin.

apr
unitronic
giac

depending on where you are and what dealers are around, that should help you pick which ones are most likely it. don't pay to have it checked.