GOLFMKV

The Petition To Reinstate Jeremy Clarkson

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Clarkson is Top Gear.
There is no Top Gear without him.

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
I went through most of the comments here but couldn't see anyone mentioning why he got suspended this time. Well, the gist of it is this:

They were on a location shoot, and Clarkson took a swing at one of the producers because there wasn't any catering arranged for them on location.

So basically, Clarkson felt it was fine to smack someone because they didn't provide him with the lavish food/drink that they're used to when shooting for the show.

Sorry, I am a huge Clarkson fan, and I'm sure there is another side to this story - but from what has come to light so far, it does seem like he's gone all "diva" on himself and that crap isn't going to fly any more. He's said in the past that all three of them actually have this idea of living "rockstar" lives, and maybe because of their extensive travelling and live shows that they do they've got this idea in their minds that they are actually rockstars.

Unfortunately, as popular as they may be, they still work for the BBC. And where I work, punching a colleague will get your ass fired. End of story.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I went through most of the comments here but couldn't see anyone mentioning why he got suspended this time. Well, the gist of it is this:

They were on a location shoot, and Clarkson took a swing at one of the producers because there wasn't any catering arranged for them on location.

So basically, Clarkson felt it was fine to smack someone because they didn't provide him with the lavish food/drink that they're used to when shooting for the show.

Sorry, I am a huge Clarkson fan, and I'm sure there is another side to this story - but from what has come to light so far, it does seem like he's gone all "diva" on himself and that crap isn't going to fly any more. He's said in the past that all three of them actually have this idea of living "rockstar" lives, and maybe because of their extensive travelling and live shows that they do they've got this idea in their minds that they are actually rockstars.

Unfortunately, as popular as they may be, they still work for the BBC. And where I work, punching a colleague will get your ass fired. End of story.

I have only seen that he took a swing at a producer. Didn't see anything about food? Also we dont know what happened yet as there is no video/audio available.
However i dont see why they will pull the last 3 episodes from air if its still under investigation what does him off air have to do with the show airing?

Kyle Butler

Ready to race!
Clarkson is Top Gear.
There is no Top Gear without him.

This is it really. Hammond and May are great of course, but without Clarkson the show is flat.

It is the most popular automotive themed show in the world. But if you're watching it for the reviews, you're watching the wrong show.

I watch Top Gear mostly for the fun, but when i want a review, i watch Chris Harris. Although hes not the most serious either...

If you think these online petitions carry any weight, i have a bridge to sell you

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
who cares? Petition to reinstate? I have bigger fish to fry than to petition for a TV show.

haha but not too busy to comment about being too busy to do an online petition.

SyDiko

Ready to race!
I dont think this is the end of Top Gear. This occurrence will likely end Top Gear on the BBC though. I wouldn't be surprised to see a company like Netflix obtain the full broadcasting rights to Top Gear.

dmarsh15

Ready to race!
I signed and shared on FB. I love the show, and hate how the American version has butchered it.

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
I dont think this is the end of Top Gear. This occurrence will likely end Top Gear on the BBC though. I wouldn't be surprised to see a company like Netflix obtain the full broadcasting rights to Top Gear.

Errr...The BBC owns the rights to Top Gear as a brand. They bought it in 2012 and will not be selling it to someone like NetFlix any time soon. They're in a very difficult position. If they dump Clarkson, they potentially dump a brand which they paid millions of GBP for. On the other hand, if they keep Clarkson, they risk living with an old, fat and grey Diva on their hands who can pretty much get away with anything.

The outcome to this is going to be VERY interesting.

What makes it even more precarious is that Hammond, May and Clarkson's contracts end at the end of March. They were right in the middle of negotiating very lucrative new contracts when news of this broke.

Hold on to your seats guys. It's about to get interesting.

Still. Punching someone because of a lack of catering on set? Asshole of the year award right there.

Problem would be that other channel may have some restrictions on budget but also on contents as some car brands are heavily sponsoring on ADs..BBC is paid by taxpayers... Although the show makes over $200 millions a year

zrickety

The Fixer
Don't watch then. The ratings seem to disagree with you. I don't agree with all his comments, but I'm for preserving free speech. Not this wussy, new coddled generation.
Best answer ever.

zrickety

The Fixer
No way. American Top Gear barely passes as a substitute. They are just now developing some chemistry.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
No way. American Top Gear barely passes as a substitute. They are just now developing some chemistry.

He is saying of all the other Top gears. The top gear USA in his opinion is the best franchised Top Gear. He wasnt stating it was better than Top Gear just that its the best of the worst.

SyDiko

Ready to race!
Errr...The BBC owns the rights to Top Gear as a brand. They bought it in 2012 and will not be selling it to someone like NetFlix any time soon. They're in a very difficult position. If they dump Clarkson, they potentially dump a brand which they paid millions of GBP for. On the other hand, if they keep Clarkson, they risk living with an old, fat and grey Diva on their hands who can pretty much get away with anything.

The outcome to this is going to be VERY interesting.

What makes it even more precarious is that Hammond, May and Clarkson's contracts end at the end of March. They were right in the middle of negotiating very lucrative new contracts when news of this broke.

Hold on to your seats guys. It's about to get interesting.

Still. Punching someone because of a lack of catering on set? Asshole of the year award right there.

Either the BBC will come around or Top Gear will die and the BBC will stand to lose millions.

If BBC decides that they wont reinstate Jeremy, he'd just get Hammond and May to start a new show (on Netflix lol) with 3-way ownership.