GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GIAC tuned??

nygti3491

Ready to race!
I just went stage 2 and boy compared to stock is night and day. I drove in with my check engine light on and drove out without it on. The mechanic said that it WILL get rid of the 02 sensor check engine light with no spacers. So if you have a cel in stage 2 I would suggest hooking up vag com and see what codes you get. I'm no mechanic though

littleturbodub

Ready to race!
Just out of curiosity what's everyone's max boost with the old vs. new tune? According to my P3, I'm hitting 17.3bs

I'm still on the original stage 2 GIAC tune

ASquared150

Passed Driver's Ed
I've got an appointment this afternoon at Komet Motorsports in IL to go GIAC Stage 1 on my 2014 DSG. Anything I should be looking out for/forward to? Tips/tricks? The shop is a 1.5 hour drive for me so I'm happy I'll be able to have a good before-and-after session.

Jaber

Modero
I've got an appointment this afternoon at Komet Motorsports in IL to go GIAC Stage 1 on my 2014 DSG. Anything I should be looking out for/forward to? Tips/tricks? The shop is a 1.5 hour drive for me so I'm happy I'll be able to have a good before-and-after session.

Should ask for a dyno pull :D

That's the shop were us locals have dyno days, to compare tunes/boltons.

Pooley

Ready to race!
Just out of curiosity what's everyone's max boost with the old vs. new tune? According to my P3, I'm hitting 17.3bs

I'll jump in and confirm that my car runs about that same level of boost on original GIAC Stage 2 file. Have seen my boost gauge hit 18 in summer and backs down to 15-16 when very cold out in winter. Hoping to get the DSG flash and updated Stage 2 file in June when I'm not driving over 1200 miles a week like I am now.

ASquared150

Passed Driver's Ed
So I was late to my appointment at Komet (seriously the worst traffic I have ever experienced in all my time in both Chicago and Austin) but Kurt and Frank stayed after hours for me.

Guys, I drove home in a completely different car.

Literally. I drove home in the old Oldsmobile they use as a loaner:

My car just didn't want to take the flash for some reason. Apparently on the more recent Mk6s doing the flash causes a huge power draw. Basically my battery died about 75% of the way through the first attempt, and from there they tried a lot of different battery/fan/flash/etc set ups to no avail. And because I was late and they stayed late, nobody was at GIAC to answer the phones. So, the GTI is on a trickle charger overnight and they're going to try the flash fresh in the morning.

Despite all this, I'd still recommend Komet to friends. But god I hope my ECU isn't bricked.

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie

I'll jump in and confirm that my car runs about that same level of boost on original GIAC Stage 2 file. Have seen my boost gauge hit 18 in summer and backs down to 15-16 when very cold out in winter. Hoping to get the DSG flash and updated Stage 2 file in June when I'm not driving over 1200 miles a week like I am now.

I think boost PSI will be dependent on the brand/type of boost gauge, weather, and possibly altitude.
:iono:

My report:
Prior to the upgraded (Stage 2), on a good cool evening, my 3rd and 4th gear pulls, and Podi gauge my boost would spike at 20psi and hold about 17-18psi.
:)
With the new tune/upgrade (Stage 204), last few days, I did some 3rd and 4th gear pulls during the cool evening and I now spike at ~22psi and hold close to 20psi.
:thumbup:
(This has never happened in the 1 year I've had my Podi.)

Others may report similar or different results but again, variables need to be considered.

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
So I was late to my appointment at Komet (seriously the worst traffic I have ever experienced in all my time in both Chicago and Austin) but Kurt and Frank stayed after hours for me.

Guys, I drove home in a completely different car.

My car just didn't want to take the flash for some reason. Apparently on the more recent Mk6s doing the flash causes a huge power draw. Basically my battery died about 75% of the way through the first attempt, and from there they tried a lot of different battery/fan/flash/etc set ups to no avail. And because I was late and they stayed late, nobody was at GIAC to answer the phones. So, the GTI is on a trickle charger overnight and they're going to try the flash fresh in the morning.

Despite all this, I'd still recommend Komet to friends. But god I hope my ECU isn't bricked.

Bummer to hear this. I'm sure the guys a Komet will figure it out once they contact GIAC.

I don't know if this applies to GIAC only or possibly other tuner vendors who now "port" flash but Emmanuele Design (place where I got my upgrade) had to connect a high amp battery charger to my battery during the entire "port" flash process. (Which took approximately 30 minutes for the actual flash itself.) This is due to the fact that mid-way during the flash, the radiator cooling fans kick in at high speed for a long period of time. He stated this is normal for "port" flashing but he had seen initial MK6's batteries die due to this. (Possibly for some or all MK6 models and others.) Option to pull the fan fuse or disconnect the fans is another alternative, however, they prefer to use the high amp battery charger.

Hope it goes well for you tomorrow! :thumbsup:

Pooley

Ready to race!
A tuning shop I follow on Instagram that deals APR recently had a photo of a customers car on a charger and they stated they always do that when flashing a car. Said they felt it was safest method even though many shops don't do it. Sounds like they're doing the right thing.

ASquared150

Passed Driver's Ed
Heard back from Kurt at Komet just now - the battery charged fully overnight and the flash went through this morning!

Now there's just the trouble of returning the Oldsmobile and getting my car back... AKA another 2+ hour drive (1 way) in rush-hour traffic...

Marcopolo2438

Passed Driver's Ed
Heard back from Kurt at Komet just now - the battery charged fully overnight and the flash went through this morning!

Now there's just the trouble of returning the Oldsmobile and getting my car back... AKA another 2+ hour drive (1 way) in rush-hour traffic...

Best of luck man, you're going to love it! I just had my 2010 DSG flashed stage 1 at Komet last week and it's just flat out awesome. Luckily my battery is somewhat new and was able to handle the flash the first time around. What Kurt will tell you (and what I noticed) is that it takes about 4 full engine cycles to have the tune fully kick in. Basically, you'll have to let the engine warm up fully and cool down completely ~4 times before the full tune is engaged. That said, you'll definitely feel the difference on the way home. The turbo is much more responsive and noticeable. I've also noticed that my MPGs have gone up which I was hoping for. Have gotten ~33-34 MPGs on my commute the past week when it was usually 31-32 before. That said, lead foot syndrome is hard to avoid now :23:

ASquared150

Passed Driver's Ed
Best of luck man, you're going to love it! I just had my 2010 DSG flashed stage 1 at Komet last week and it's just flat out awesome. Luckily my battery is somewhat new and was able to handle the flash the first time around. What Kurt will tell you (and what I noticed) is that it takes about 4 full engine cycles to have the tune fully kick in. Basically, you'll have to let the engine warm up fully and cool down completely ~4 times before the full tune is engaged. That said, you'll definitely feel the difference on the way home. The turbo is much more responsive and noticeable. I've also noticed that my MPGs have gone up which I was hoping for. Have gotten ~33-34 MPGs on my commute the past week when it was usually 31-32 before. That said, lead foot syndrome is hard to avoid now :23:

Good to know on the 4 cycles thing. Kurt didn't tell me but that's just because I didn't get my car back until 10 PM last night! They left it unlocked for me to swap with their Oldsmobile:

Now I'll have something else to look forward to with the 4 cycles because I honestly don't drive all that often - I commute on the L. BUT I definitely noticed a difference on my drive home. I was a little bummed I didn't get the before/after like I had hoped. Instead I had gotten used to driving a 1998 Oldsmobile so switching back to my light and nimble GTI was even more of a shock.

I was worried that maybe I wasn't noticing the tune and just getting used to being in a GTI again.

But then I hit the highway. Holy hell. On-ramps in sport mode. The throttle and turbo are definitely more responsive. Pulling from 60-80 mph was grin-inducing. I am definitely a fan of this tune.

pioneercrazed

Passed Driver's Ed
Last week I got the APR Stage 1 tune and I am not impressed. I will be 'returning' it this week and trying out the GIAC. I've heard good things about them especially coming from the n54 bimmer world. The e85 tune is what really has me interested as that made a huge difference in my 335i running a 40/60 blend.

As a bonus the shop is right around the corner from my work and it's Forge Motorsports.

Anybody ever returned an APR tune?

zrickety

The Fixer
I'm surprised you don't like it. Do you have it in the right program? Maybe it was already tuned? The change to my car was dramatic, and the clutch slipped almost immediately.