GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

RGTI13

Go Kart Champion
Maybe I should just switch to an e85 blend without switching the tune :D

My thought was try a couple gallons first, see if timing pull changes. That'll tell you what's going on. And, you're already running rich, so it should compensate alright.

drepai

Go Kart Champion
Lol just called my tuner. Doing that instead of a race gas tune. Beauty of that is there's a pump not too far from me so I can run it all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RGTI13

Go Kart Champion
I thought we cant do E85 bc it eats our fuel system for w.e. reason. What makes you think you can run it all of a sudden?

Just have to have the correct injectors. Even with oem injectors, people have been running an E35-E40 blend without issue for a long while.

drepai

Go Kart Champion
E85 runs about 30% richer than gasoline. The main issue is having enough headroom in the fuel system. Since I have tons of headroom I figure I can get away with running a blend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
So what, OEM get clogged or something? What do you mean headroom? it sounds like if it runs richer than you need less to achieve a higher level so you would think head room is the least of worries.

You've got that exactly opposite. E85 requires on average ~30% more fuel by volume than gasoline for the same power levels. Upshot is E85 is stupid knock resistant.

The main worry about E85 it its corrosiveness. HPFP seals and injectors get strained quite a bit more. I personally wouldn't try E85 alone, but blending is ok as the gas is there for lubricating. Just adding a level of variability to the equation.