GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
I am getting a good deal. When he said manifold I just kinda thought of intake manifold. Not exhaust manifold so my bad for making that mistake. Money isn't an issue though. I make plenty off it. The whole point of me coming on here is to find out what I can do with the GT30 to keep it around 400hp or a little lower. I'm not looking to build a monster

GT3071? Proper fueling and water/methanol 400hp would be pretty easy.

The reason money gets thrown around so much in this thread is because most people end up dumping a lot of cash into BT builds chasing more power or fixing the issues that come up with making double stock power. It's just a cautionary warning, not a ding against you. You will be putting money into this, haha. A lot of people have come in with a $3000 budget with your goals, and that won't happen. Not without getting extremely lucky on deals, tuning, etc. If you don't want to spend more than $3000 over the life of the car, stick with a K04.

Another FYI, the TSI intake manifold really doesn't need to be touched unless you are wanting to push 600hp. Flows good, holds up, etc. That's why manifold means exhaust to most people here, and you hadn't said ATP.

TMos63

GT3071? Proper fueling and water/methanol 400hp would be pretty easy.

The reason money gets thrown around so much in this thread is because most people end up dumping a lot of cash into BT builds chasing more power or fixing the issues that come up with making double stock power. It's just a cautionary warning, not a ding against you. You will be putting money into this, haha. A lot of people have come in with a $3000 budget with your goals, and that won't happen. Not without getting extremely lucky on deals, tuning, etc.

Another FYI, the TSI intake manifold really doesn't need to be touched unless you are wanting to push 600hp. Flows good, holds up, etc. That's why manifold means exhaust to most people here, and you hadn't said ATP.

Yes GT3071R. You said proper fueling and meth, what tune are you running with that?

TMos63

If it's an ATP GT3071 it's smaller than a traditional GT3071 and won't net you the same power as RJ for example

It is the ATP. I'm looking for what kind of tune and what mods will get me my goals with that turbo set up. I'm just looking for some help from people who have been here and know all about this kind of stuff. I don't know a lot, I'll admit it, but I wanna learn

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Yes GT3071R. You said proper fueling and meth, what tune are you running with that?

Haha, I'm not currently. But the question you need to ask is who is your tuner? If you are sticking with UNI, speak with them. If you have a shop that will be doing the work and they give you tuning options, discuss that with them.

There are HUGE variations on here based on peoples preference, local tuners and goals/budget. Everything from stock fueling supplemented by W/M, all the way up to upgraded LPFPs, injectors, 5th injector on the throttle pipe.

RGTI13

Go Kart Champion
i'm glad you said it, because i was about to say the same thing. the tune is not ok without a lot of stuff to back it up. yes you have to be able to log, but that won't make it work. it will only show you why it's not working, and what you need to do to make more power out of it. a big turbo tune is optimized for your setup, point blank. using a different tune is half-assing it. if you can't do it right, wait. but you will definitely need an ebc/meth to make it work and timing adjustment to make a lot more power. and another tune to run bigger injectors if you choose to go that route. RGTI i know youre adamant about the route you took but it's just not that simple.

you cannot use the stock manifold. do more research. there are inexpensive ways of going big turbo, but you can't just swap turbos and go if that's what you're trying to do.

How is it "not that simple"? Please explain how putting a big turbo on my car in one day, an OTS tune the next day and making 380 WHP that same day is not simple?

To make 420 I added methanol. To make 450 I added injectors, plug and play controller and pump. To make 470 I added timing and swapped my manifold. Literally... That's all. In a six month span.

You guys all over complicate it. It's crazy... I mean, absolutely insane.

TMos63

Haha, I'm not currently. But the question you need to ask is who is your tuner? If you are sticking with UNI, speak with them. If you have a shop that will be doing the work and they give you tuning options, discuss that with them.

There are HUGE variations on here based on peoples preference, local tuners and goals/budget. Everything from stock fueling supplemented by W/M, all the way up to upgraded LPFPs, injectors, 5th injector on the throttle pipe.

Okay. I'll give UNI a shot and see what they have to offer. Thank you for your help and input. It is very much appreciated

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Simple effective but setup IMO, ATP Gtx2967 with a uni tune

Hes got a line on a GT3071R, UNI would still tune that. I agree a GTX turbo would be more ideal but if hes getting a smoking deal, go with it.

Also, why a 2967 over a 2971? Aren't you just putting a bigger less efficient GT30 turbine wheel with a 67mm compressor at that point? That turbo never made sense to me over a 2867 or either of the 71mm GTX28/29 turbos.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
How is it "not that simple"? Please explain how putting a big turbo on my car in one day, an OTS tune the next day and making 380 WHP that same day is not simple?

To make 420 I added methanol. To make 450 I added injectors, plug and play controller and pump. To make 470 I added timing and swapped my manifold. Literally... That's all. In a six month span.

You guys all over complicate it. It's crazy... I mean, absolutely insane.

I think if others are complicating things, you are potentially oversimplifying things. I think kern and others perspectives on your setup has to do with a mindset of efficiency/effectiveness versus just "making" a peak number.

RGTI13

Go Kart Champion
I think if others are complicating things, you are potentially oversimplifying things. I think kern and others perspectives on your setup has to do with a mindset of efficiency/effectiveness versus just "making" a peak number.

I don't know. I seem to be the only one who actually uses their car and races aside from Derek and Andre. So... I would think my setup is pretty effective. That peak number has a lot of kills.

I guess it was just super simple to me, so I really only know how to explain it that way. Sorry.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
I am getting a good deal. When he said manifold I just kinda thought of intake manifold. Not exhaust manifold so my bad for making that mistake. Money isn't an issue though. I make plenty off it. The whole point of me coming on here is to find out what I can do with the GT30 to keep it around 400hp or a little lower. I'm not looking to build a monster

The only downside to Uni is you have to use their grossly over priced fueling solutions. Being that you don't seem all the knowledgeable. Go with United Motorsports. Give Jeff a call he loves the gt3071 for the TSI. You can use any hardware you want and any fueling upgrades. He can tune it all. Even give you adjustable LC you set with a simple tap of the brake pedal and NLS.

If money is no issue why not go with a custom tubular manifold, EFR twinscroll, ZZP injectors, Torquebyte low pressure system with aux injector, HFS4 direct port WMI system. You would have the ability for around 600hp but turn the boost down if you want less?

james9120

Go Kart Champion
The only downside to Uni is you have to use their grossly over priced fueling solutions. Being that you don't seem all the knowledgeable. Go with United Motorsports. Give Jeff a call he loves the gt3071 for the TSI. You can use any hardware you want and any fueling upgrades. He can tune it all. Even give you adjustable LC you set with a simple tap of the brake pedal and NLS.

If money is no issue why not go with a custom tubular manifold, EFR twinscroll, ZZP injectors, Torquebyte low pressure system with aux injector, HFS4 direct port WMI system. You would have the ability for around 600hp but turn the boost down if you want less?

I spoke with UM awhile ago and they require a TTRS pump. Just food for thought. Also they were at least a month backed up so.