GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TSI K04 Upgrade, Uprated Actuator? Which One?

Gaz-M

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi guys, im a new member on here from Scotland and seeing as K04ing a TSI is rare over here and rather common for you guys, i thought id best join up after reading quite a lot on here!

Ive already got full BCS decat exhaust and Revo intake fitted.

Ive bought an Airtek stage 2 intercooler and K04 turbo.

Im awaiting a Unitronic DV relocation kit from KMDTuning.com who are kindly willing to post to me in UK.

My question is, a guy who has done the conversion in the UK and made 413bhp (flywheel power over here) told me to fit a 16PSI actuator. Is this the norm?

If so wheres best to get an actuator and best way to set it up before mapping since it aint easy to access?

Any other K04 TSI advice would be appreciated! :thumbup:

Gaz-M

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for rapid reply!

Ok that saves me another job/ expense.

I read that the extra exhaust gasses cause the wastegate to creep and reduce boost build up with standard actuator?

Also, whats my best method of cutting/ welding the K04 outlet to be sure of it fitting?

Is it a 2.5" 45 degree elbow i then need to fit between new turbo outlet and the plastic pancake pipe?

Do people upgrade the pancake pipe to the bigger S3 alloy pipe?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I get that your going k04 but why didnt you just buy a kit from APR, Unitronic, AWE, or CTS? Seems like it would be a lot easier buying a kit than doing all this DIY shit.

Gaz-M

Passed Driver's Ed
Thats not really answering my question?

I have plenty reasons, thats not what this is to discuss.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Thats not really answering my question?

I have plenty reasons, thats not what this is to discuss.

Okay, Im just saying you're asking all this technical cutting and welding information. to make a k04 fit. Why wouldnt you just buy a k04 kit that was built for our car with the proper outlets and shit.

And now i feel like trolling your threads until i am banned.

Gaz-M

Passed Driver's Ed
Because an APR kit costs me £2600. I can do the same thing with little effort for half the price, with the same outcome, and i'll feel better for it once its done too.

Im not a credit card tuner. I do as much as i can myself.

Im new to the forum, you arent being a great first impression.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
That's why i asked what your motivation was to DIY and you just blasted me for not answering your question and that you had "Reasons".

Should have just said you were trying to piece a kit together as cheap as possible and maybe you would have gotten a better reception.

Cherrio.

Gaz-M

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for that. Ive read it already, but its for the bolt on kits, not the DIY so doesnt have any info im needing.

Gaz-M

Passed Driver's Ed
Im not trying to do it as cheap as possible, im just not paying £2600 for something i can have for £1200.... Plus i'll have a custom map not generic.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Who is gonna do your tuning? Getting Eurodyne Mastero so it can be tuned as you like?(Thats basiaclly the easiest way for the individual person to tune/get tuned someplace here in the States) Is there a tuner that will make custom maps in the UK or provide a software for you to tweak/map yourself?

Also replacing the pancake pipe will help with spooling and airflow, if you're going for the most power that will give you a few hp to the wheels.

Gaz-M

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks ive read that link too.

Yeh theres a few good guys on the VW front about 5hrs away in England, where it gets mapped on the rolling road.

Thanks. I will order myself a S3 boost pipe too then, the pancake one looks restrictive!

What about the pipe from intercooler to inlet, is that restrictive too? Is there an OE upgrade or aftermarket solution?

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Okay, Im just saying you're asking all this technical cutting and welding information. to make a k04 fit. Why wouldnt you just buy a k04 kit that was built for our car with the proper outlets and shit.

And now i feel like trolling your threads until i am banned.

I payed $795 for my K04, installed, complete with everything and even better than kits because it has a high flow outlet pipe and turbo muffler delete. Chances are the guys that bought kits are paying $2600+ installed. Why you are questioning a guy who's trying to save money is beyond me. I understand some people are okay with paying companies exuberant amounts of money but it only takes a little bit of knowledge to do some research and piece a kit that works for you. F*&K off with that negative attitude. We don't need more of that on the forums.

OP That should be the throttle pipe and there are aftermarket solutions. The nice thing about most aftermarket pipes is they have bungs for meth injection. I haven't heard about any real gains in HP but I've heard of gains in response. As far as nuts and bolts they can be purchased for cheap here: http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/Engine/Turbocharger/Installation_Kit/ES2702503/ I'm fairly sure that they would ship overseas.

Last edited: