GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2.0 TSI Timing Chain Tensioner Failure Analysis

beauy461

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 2009 MK5 GTI TSI. At 90K miles I feel every day I'm rolling the dice just starting it.
I change my Oil every 5K and for the first several years of owner ship only used Castrol 5w-40 and since being out of warranty have switched to Lubromoly.

Seems most people having Tensioners fail are following VW's 10K service interval. The design flaw to me seems to be not really dirty oil, but less oil on start up. How I drive my car if I changed if every 10K id be down to maybe 2qts of oil in the system.

So these cars have crap seals(rear Main), crap waterpumps, crap timing tensioners. All that can lead to catastrophic engine failure if not kept in check.

Mr2U

Passed Driver's Ed
I am getting ready to have my dealer do this, he wants $650, and i said
i would buy the Kit for $350, so $1000 should do it. 2012 GTI.

I have been printing out some of the pics from the diy posts, to have with me
for the day, yes i am going to take the day off and the dealer says i can watch the
fix. I want to have them do it, as it makes them part of any future issues in this area.

I love the car, can't think of anything else i want, so its $1000 to make it
good. Pay up and get it done, or sell it off, otherwise its a time bomb.

CobraKing

Ready to race!
I have a 2009 MK5 GTI TSI. At 90K miles I feel every day I'm rolling the dice just starting it.
I change my Oil every 5K and for the first several years of owner ship only used Castrol 5w-40 and since being out of warranty have switched to Lubromoly.

Seems most people having Tensioners fail are following VW's 10K service interval. The design flaw to me seems to be not really dirty oil, but less oil on start up. How I drive my car if I changed if every 10K id be down to maybe 2qts of oil in the system.

So these cars have crap seals(rear Main), crap waterpumps, crap timing tensioners. All that can lead to catastrophic engine failure if not kept in check.

I agree with you that the 10K miles (15K kilometres) interval is too long. I've been changing oil at a shorter interval and so far so good but at the back of my mind I wonder if there's no escaping this.

The waterpump should not lead to catastrophic engine failure if tackled immediately. I had mine fail and it usually is observed with a puddle of coolant under the car.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Great write-up and analysis. A friend and I will be replacing the tensioner on my gti in a few weeks. I have a 2011, but still low miles. I will feel better once its been replaced since I feel like a rolling time bomb.

steve9842015

Passed Driver's Ed
Great write-up and analysis. A friend and I will be replacing the tensioner on my gti in a few weeks. I have a 2011, but still low miles. I will feel better once its been replaced since I feel like a rolling time bomb.

Yep..more I'm reading about this the more I'm getting ready to do the same. I'm around 64,xxx on my '11. About to install a K04 either this weekend or next and might as well get this done now.

yuev87

Awesome post. It's great to see exactly what is failing on the part so other can make better informed decisions as to whether or not to get theirs replaced. Having seen your post - I'm definitely having mine replaced out of pocket as soon as my CPO warranty is over (it would be great if it decided to shit the bed while I was under warranty though).

Do we have any solid evidence that the newest revisions are significantly better though?

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
I am getting ready to have my dealer do this, he wants $650, and i said
i would buy the Kit for $350, so $1000 should do it. 2012 GTI.

I have been printing out some of the pics from the diy posts, to have with me
for the day, yes i am going to take the day off and the dealer says i can watch the
fix. I want to have them do it, as it makes them part of any future issues in this area.

I love the car, can't think of anything else i want, so its $1000 to make it
good. Pay up and get it done, or sell it off, otherwise its a time bomb.

If you are supplying your own parts & there is a problem down the road your dealer will say it is not their fault, but yours for supplying the parts that turned out to be defective. You might consider buying the parts from your dealer.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks!

I changed oil every time the light came on, My oil was dark but never in terrible condition viscosity/chemistry wise. Always used castrol full synthetic with either a mann-hummel filter or a Purolator classic, whatever advance auto would hook me up with in a monthly special.

I don't think any other service item would affect this part.

The problem with this design is that the sliding points for this ratchet piece do not have a good interface. There is no wear protection on the back of the ratchet insert, nor on the spring retention clip. I don't think oil quality would change the situation at all, though I would want to do some recreation testing to confirm this claim.
Class Action has begun,
https://defectiveconsumerproducts.wordpress.com
I believe you could be of some assistance to this case with your credentials and the work you've already posted, you are the most qualified to be the Subject Matter Expert on the failure of the part. If you contact them (tsobran@sobranlaw.com or call (781) 741-6075 8 AM to 6 PM EST) you would be helping everyone and maybe make $$ for yourself as well.

Sorry to be pushy but at least think about it.

Thanks for your contribution.

Last edited:

resilientsoma

Go Kart Champion
I too am a victim as mentioned in other threads here. My 2011 GTI did not turn-over one night and had a CEL for a camshaft position sensor. You were able to hear the car cranking but no turn-over. Once this happened, I got it towed right away to a VW dealer (Kelly VW in Scranton, PA).

Long story short:
Dealer diagnosed my car and said my timing jumped and caused damage to the valves, intake and exhaust cam. All due to a faulty tensioner (stated in diagnosis report). This cost me $4,900 for an entire upper head rebuild and still paying it off.

VWoA would not help me simply because I was out of warranty; they said if it was my tune (GIAC stage 2) the dealer would have to show it was from that; which is was not. It was stated right in the report the failure happened due to a faulty tensioner. I exhausted every option seeking help from VWoA - stating all of the problems other people have had, why they didn't communicate the 4 revisions to their customers knowing there was some kind of issue. They just play dumb, laugh in your face, say "sorry, no" and call it a day. I was 2,900 miles past the 60k warranty and it was a regular maintained car.

I keep blasting VW's media pages on Facebook and Instagram warning others what to watch out for. Raise awareness and give it back to VW for their known ticking time bomb they present to their customers. TSB but no recall; 4 revisions but no recall... Obviously I'm not the only one.

We need to get a list of names, build dates, miles on car, etc. and help build this class-action.

I have the failed tensioner from the dealer and would like to take some detailed pictures as well. Last VW I will buy...

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
Someone in my apartment complex has an older CC and he started the car up this morning I could here the timing chain rattle for about 1-2 seconds...It sounded like death and it's only a matter of time. Unreal how widespread this issue is

I have a 2013 GLI (Early)

On the motor, there is a date stamp on the side of the cam cover/girdle

Date is : 12.2012

Anyone know if revised tensioner was on or before this date?

Jaytk

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 2013 GLI (Early)

On the motor, there is a date stamp on the side of the cam cover/girdle

Date is : 12.2012

Anyone know if revised tensioner was on or before this date?
I had the pretensioner failed on me twice. I have a 2010 model, and the first time was in July 2014 (covered under warranty). Second failure happened in October of 2015.

Based on the above, I'm guessing the last update happened after July of 2014?

rightmk6gti

I had the pretensioner failed on me twice. I have a 2010 model, and the first time was in July 2014 (covered under warranty). Second failure happened in October of 2015.

Based on the above, I'm guessing the last update happened after July of 2014?

Jay, Do you happen to have the original receipt with you when the dealer first replaced the tensioner under warranty? The receipt should contain the details on the part number of the tensioner being replaced.