GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone running the HPA K04 turbo kit with APR software?

Uberryan

Banned
Just wondering, as I searched and no one has mentioned this combo. Wanted to know how it worked, and if it worked properly.

Pakman332

Ready to race!
I don't have a K04, but I think that all of the kits have basically the exact same turbo, so different software should work fine. Anyone with more experience please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Dr Dad

Drag Race Newbie
HPA recently changed their turbo to a hybrid system (I believe it's nearly identical to the F23T) so APR's software wouldn't be ideal.

Gino

Ready to race!
HPA recently changed their turbo to a hybrid system (I believe it's nearly identical to the F23T) so APR's software wouldn't be ideal.

APR K04 software seems to be doing good with the F23T. Some test has been done. Maybe it would work just as well? Who knows.

eppy

Ready to race!
I'll be running the HPA KO4 with GIAC software in the next month or so.

I talked to GIAC and HPA, the only concern is to have W.G. cracking pressure set for the software your running.

HPA sets the W.G. to crack at 5.8-8.7psi, GIAC needs it at 5-6psi. I need to have it checked and adjusted if off.

Dr Dad

Drag Race Newbie

Uberryan

Banned
My bad on that, the "NEW FOR 2016" part threw me off.

Don't blame you. It's terribly worded, but I've seen worse. Descriptions for the kit are all over the place and it doesn't break down the turbo's basic components. Just emphasizes their use of the stock location for the DV and their lack of a turbo muffler... which is great, but APR already does that. I'd rather them tell me what bell housing is used, if the map sensor is included, wastegate pressure setting, shaft and turbine... I assume it's a Borg Warner, but obviously they don't disclose any of that.

Chris659

Ready to race!
What I gathered from reading their site was that their turbo is like APR's in that stock DV location is used, but rather than having to CNC machine parts to make it work in our cars, their turbo housing is a custom casting with it already modified so it helps cut cost down.

Other than that it is a basic K04 w/o a turbo muffler. It comes with a new DV and install kit

Uberryan

Banned
I guess my only real concern is how the APR tune might function with this particular turbo. Jumping back to stock ECU settings and purchasing a new tune is out the question for me, but the price of this kit, plus the cost of K04 tune for me, an existing customer, is $500, so I can have this kit for about $2000 plus install labor which is likely $500-700

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
they are chinese knockoffs of the oem chinese borg warner k04 turbos, but with a compressor housing that has the dv section cast into it, rather than having to cnc the holes, and also with the turbo muffler turned into just a v-band flange

Chris659

Ready to race!
You say Chinese knockoffs like that's a bad thing. China will make what you pay them to make. You pay them for crap you get crap but the opposite is true as well. The biggest thing is you have to keep a close eye on quality control over the production runs... And making sure they don't give your plans to other factories to allow knockoffs of your knockoffs :)

zrickety

The Fixer
China makes good smartphones, the rest is crap.

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
they are chinese knockoffs of the oem chinese borg warner k04 turbos, but with a compressor housing that has the dv section cast into it, rather than having to cnc the holes, and also with the turbo muffler turned into just a v-band flange
This is true during the Black Friday sale Hpa had they sold a bunch of people ko4s that weren't oem borg warner ko4s they were "hybrid" ko4s that Hpa built. Also Hpa is using a earlier model of the f23t housing which Doug from Franken confirmed that in another group discussion. This shows that Hpa doesn't use Oem borg warners. Aprs software is ment to be paired with a Oem borg warner so running this on Aprs software wouldn't be ideal.