GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ChiChat17: Boosted Learns How To Cook

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
Community college is where it’s at. I worked as an automotive technician when I got out of high school. Got like 3 degrees and all my automotive certs. Then decided (because my body sucks) I didn’t want to crawl under cars for the rest of my life. By then I was like 23 and no longer a dependent. Considered poor by the federal government. Applied to ASU and a couple other colleges. Applied for grants. Basically got my business degree for free. #thanksobama

Funny - I wanted to be a mechanic as my first choice. My dad was a mechanic for years. He refused to let me do it, specifically because he knew it was hard on the body. Most of his mechanic friends were pretty beat up by middle age with tons of ailments. Knee problems, back problems, etc. from crawling around cars.

Now.... I'm fairly certain I'd have only been a tech for a period before likely moving into my own shop or something but... no way to know that for sure.

right on, Jim - all good points, esp on the housing and living your life, etc, and if your paying for shit , at least make it fun shit, I agree! same here on friends and connections here.

COL adjustments - wow, no - we have not heard about that for our group/company, so dang, micoballs being tough there. f that.

agreed on community college too, guise. I did the same, before doing nights school program to finish up at a 4 year. Good stuff.

Yeah Microsoft was weird on that. They paid well, and if you were located back at one of the Washington campuses, it was a great place to work with tons of extra benefits and perks. If you weren't in WA, it was a lot tougher.

I did some growing up with CC. I was an honors and AP student all through HS, put all my eggs in one basket when it came to college choice (wanted U of I Engineering... well, and Northwestern, but tuition costs made that impossible) and found myself waitlisted. Too many middle class white kids. U of I offered to keep me on the waitlist or give me admission to UIC instead. I took UIC as I didn't want to wind up without school and have to (lord help me) go to CC where all the "dumb kids" went.

I did one semester at UIC, slacked off BIG time, actually failed my first class ever. Hated going there... and found myself at CC the next semester. There were some idiot students but since I was in most of the harder classes anyways, it overall was a good experience. The teachers were also WAY better. I took a lot of night classes so I could work during the day and found that most of the professors taught classes (no TA's) and a lot of the night class prof's were teaching as a side gig because they enjoyed teaching.

I've since been a fan. Both the cost savings, and the fact that 100 and 200 level courses are taught by prof's vs. ESL TA's is a huge selling point to me.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
nissan 370z makes 350 hp in a 3300 lb car with 6 cylinders as well.....congrats toyota youre only a few years late to the game. Cant wait to see the over inflated price tag on these.

Visions of the latest NSX flop are appearing

I think partnering with bmw on this one was its downfall. Last time toyota/scion partnered with someone (subaru)...they delivered a decent car (brz) but with far too little power as well.

Like i said..this better be easy to tune. I hope youre right.

Brah, it’ll be under 5sec 0-60 and under 13 sec 1/4 mile and have proper dynamics. It’s gonna be the shit.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
Lol what? The mustang is a pig. It weighs 3700+. Dynamics brah. It’s not all about paper racing. Not like it’s hard to make power with the bmw straight six turbo. Shits gonna be bomb AF!

Few cars are as fun to drive as the current Mustang GT 5.0. A little sloppy but good power, torque, still likes to rev. Interior not terrible.

I hooned a bit with Rennhole's when he had his 6sp 5.0 and it was really a ton of fun. I'd own one.

Given the choice between a stock 5.0 and a K04 GTI with all the trimmings... I'd still opt for the 5.0. As you said, it's not all about paper racing. ;)

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
nissan 370z makes 350 hp in a 3300 lb car with 6 cylinders as well.....congrats toyota youre only a few years late to the game. Cant wait to see the over inflated price tag on these.

Visions of the latest NSX flop are appearing

I think partnering with bmw on this one was its downfall. Last time toyota/scion partnered with someone (subaru)...they delivered a decent car (brz) but with far too little power as well.

Like i said..this better be easy to tune. I hope youre right.

Mk4 TT FTW.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Few cars are as fun to drive as the current Mustang GT 5.0. A little sloppy but good power, torque, still likes to rev. Interior not terrible.

I hooned a bit with Rennhole's when he had his 6sp 5.0 and it was really a ton of fun. I'd own one.

Given the choice between a stock 5.0 and a K04 GTI with all the trimmings... I'd still opt for the 5.0. As you said, it's not all about paper racing. ;)

SS 1LE Camaro all day if it must be american muscle. Ford needs to step it up.

Jaber

Modero
Funny - I wanted to be a mechanic as my first choice. My dad was a mechanic for years. He refused to let me do it, specifically because he knew it was hard on the body. Most of his mechanic friends were pretty beat up by middle age with tons of ailments. Knee problems, back problems, etc. from crawling around cars.

Now.... I'm fairly certain I'd have only been a tech for a period before likely moving into my own shop or something but... no way to know that for sure.

My dad was a diesel mechanic for many years, he worked for Ryder. He worked 3rd shift for as long as I can remember, until he got injured on the job and was forced to early retirement. He worked nightshift for 15 years and pretty much outdoor weather. In the winter, his hands would be dry and cracks all over the place. He got me to wrench around 15 years old and he bought me my first car for $1k and he budgeted $600 or so to make it reliable. That car never let me down, mostly because my dad is very anal about routine maintenance. Even if it's not broken, he'll replace it. I didn't enjoy working on cars constantly after a while, maybe for simple stuff, but as time went on, i enjoyed doing stuff on the computers more and figuring shit out. He was a bit bummed, but in the end (few years later) happy with my choice.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
I ran a buddy’s stripped FBO 350Z a few days ago and I was at full weight k04; both of us with a passenger. We rolled at 40 in 3rd and I wasn’t in boost. He yanked on me hard in 3rd till I built - maybe his rear bumper to my front end. Once I hit however he got left behind. 3-4 car lengths gone almost instantly. I’d upload video but not really sure where to put it.
A stock modern mustang GT has no chance either. A lightly modded one also gets put down hard. Run from a dig or a roll either way they are too slow to move once boost is built. The older gen mustang GTs are even easier. Turbo and super chargers don’t matter - I know from personal experience. All this in a little k04. Sometimes on 110 race gas.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, but a bolted 5.0 probably run away from you pretty hard tbh?

Mk4 TT FTW.
agreed 100%
SS 1LE Camaro all day if it must be american muscle. Ford needs to step it up.
ive heard good things about the newer camaros, but the used price tag vs a 5.0 is the deal breaker.
I really want to see what kind of price its going to have. I do really want one..
you and everyone else. expect big numbers.

id like to see mitusbishi bring back a sports car.
Nah driven enough new Camaros. Impossible to see out of.
:lol:

When you say impossible to see out of it, do you mean your opinion on camaros or do you mean physically seeing out the camaros terrible blind spots? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.