GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tail Light Issues

itssunnyb

I have a 2011 Gti and got an error in the dash to replace rear right and left sidelights, so I went out and purchased a new set and installed them. I had a friend turn the lights on the lights come on for about 10 seconds then turn off and the error showed up again. (every time I turn my lights on they do turn on for about 10 seconds then turn off). I'm just a little baffled any help would greatly be appreciated.
PIC6_1024x1024_24d4b974-6735-4071-82e5-78d70d084022_grande.jpg

torga

Autocross Champion
A new set of bulbs? LED or Halogen bulbs? What error are you getting?

itssunnyb

Higher wattage can sometimes cause the computer to kill the lights because they are drawing too much power. They will power on for a few seconds, then flicker and turn off. Same thing happened on my old headlights from Spyder. I'd suggest trying a lower wattage bulb just in case.
Just ordered 16 watts to see if that resolves it..

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
That's not the problem.... I just pulled mine out. It says 12v W16W and also 12V18W.. It's a Toshiba Japan 921 bulb. 921 is the bulb type or size. These are standardized for all cars. Check the outer tail light bulbs. Some cars use a replacement lamp function. It could be purposely turning the inner ones off so that drivers behind you are not confused as to what the hell is going on. Or it could use a different bulb for brake lamp function etc.

itssunnyb

That's not the problem.... I just pulled mine out. It says 12v W16W and also 12V18W.. It's a Toshiba Japan 921 bulb. 921 is the bulb type or size. These are standardized for all cars. Check the outer tail light bulbs. Some cars use a replacement lamp function. It could be purposely turning the inner ones off so that drivers behind you are not confused as to what the hell is going on. Or it could use a different bulb for brake lamp function etc.
then it should throw a brake light error right? all lights are working brake, reverse turn signals.