GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Ultimate "Driver's" Road Trip

torga

Autocross Champion
Between Monticello, UT and Provo, UT on 191W and 6W is absolutely breathtaking. How is it even legal for a landscape to be this beautiful!??!
Colby I hope you make it this way because, god damn. Nearly broke my neck for ~250 miles.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Cole, couldn't send pic in dm. But this is them

Attachments

• 20200522_172405.jpg
    20200522_172405.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 78

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Yeah I basically told him to just drive West until it gets really steep. That is where you want to drive.

Phur

Autocross Champion

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Day 7: the best day yet.

Today schedule is straight forward: get an alignment, visit a forum member, fuck around in the Rockies an hour or so, then start headed for Texas.
Well, I did most of that.
Started the day with a squirrel covering its titties
Snapchat-1519660231.jpg

Alignment was nearly perfect, all they couldn't adjust was caster, which I'll never in a million years notice the extra caster I have in the left.
IMG_20200522_103831.jpg

Swung by the Garden of the Gods for some wicked views.
IMG_20200522_110142.jpg
IMG_20200522_110847.jpg

Next up i checked my oil when I woke up and it was pretty low. Trip to the parts store and gas station and I'm off to meet Joe_Mama. On my way up I had a Focus RS and a newer Nissan Maxima (with a spirited driver). The RS kicked my ass up and down the street, but it also sounded modified. I can definitely usually hang with them stock, there's 3 around my town, and I've raced and barely beat one of them from a 5mph pull when I was testing my new intake sounds. I also saw, for the first time in my life, a Jeep Trackhawk - y'know, the one with a hellcat heart? Holy shit that thing is loud and fast. I blinked my eyes and it was gone. Hellcat power + heavy weight + AWD, it didn't even squeak the tires.
Unfortunately I'm a buffoon and didn't take any pics of our cars together. But he checked my code, checked my tensioner slack (-3.15°), and we just talked about GTIs for multiple hours; I love finding people as passionate as I am. He recommended I go west to the Rockies; now, it was always the plan to eventually go through the Rockies, but I planned to do the east side today and West side in a week or so after going south. Well, per his request I just "drove west" and holy shit.
IMG_20200522_173221.jpg
IMG_20200522_180001.jpg

IMG_20200522_180052.jpg

I can't post all of the pics here because of the 10 pic limit, but I uploaded an album to imgur with a ton.
And then I came upon the most beautiful view I've ever laid eyes on.
PANO_20200522_181732.vr.jpg

I was so blown away. I just sat down in the pebbles next to the road and stared for 15 minutes, at least. I was the most at peace I've ever felt.
I actually continued on my way, but I came back because I wanted more than anything to wake up seeing this. So...
IMG_20200522_193716.jpg

IMG_20200522_210249.jpg

Definitely scary. 12000 feet up, looking out over the Rockies, with bears and cats around me. But the view was worth it
More pics:
Oh also yesterday I found out that we've reopened my work, so now I'm using vacation time, and starting Tuesday I'm unpaid. Let's hope I don't run out of cash because, well, that'd suck.

Jump to next day: day eight

Last edited:

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Man, that's a great trip! Priceless to say the least. You could spend a week exploring the rockies. I like the 395, Colorado folks drive crazy af

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Glad you enjoyed the drive. It is like being on another planet once you get up to 12-13k feet. Definitely unforgettable the first time you go. Did you freeze over night? It must have gotten down to the 40s at night up there!

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Glad you enjoyed the drive. It is like being on another planet once you get up to 12-13k feet. Definitely unforgettable the first time you go. Did you freeze over night? It must have gotten down to the 40s at night up there!
Mostly because you feel like there's no longer any oxygen if you run or climb for 10 seconds.
I feel like it def got colder than that, maybe 30s, but I don't know for sure. It was chilly and I wish I hadn't forgotten my hammock underquilt, but nothing sleeping fully clothed with a sleeping bag, microfleece blanket, and insulating blanket can't solve. And my tarp over top traps heat in.
I'm over headed to Aspen right now, there's supposed to be some really nice roads here. Not that they aren't all nice

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Cool man, good luck. Any CEL back on?