GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rebuilding a 2.0 TSI after timing failure at 173k *ON A BUDGET* (less than $1k spent) - And Then Balance Shafts 2 Years Later

slag

Passed Driver's Ed
Why not start the car first and see if it runs?

Don't want to do any more damage. Besides, I'm past that point. The previous owner said it sounded horrible and I can see valves stuck open. The more it turns over, the more chance of catastrophic damage. I picked it up for $900 and hope to do this on the cheap like the OP.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
So your idea is to do an engine rebuild without removing the engine? Lol good luck with that

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
If all the valves are open and the previous owner told you the valves hit pistons I would just assume you have some damage on those piston heads or cylinder walls.

slag

Passed Driver's Ed
If all the valves are open and the previous owner told you the valves hit pistons I would just assume you have some damage on those piston heads or cylinder walls.

Quite possibly. We'll see here soon. Maybe today, maybe this weekend, depends on when I have time to take it apart. He said when he parked it there was no noise. Went out to start it the next morning and when turning it over, it sounded horrible and he immediately turned the key off so hopefully, hopefully, he caught it before too much damage was done.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Oh ok makes sense. Yeah you might be lucky !

93 GSX TURBO

Quite possibly. We'll see here soon. Maybe today, maybe this weekend, depends on when I have time to take it apart. He said when he parked it there was no noise. Went out to start it the next morning and when turning it over, it sounded horrible and he immediately turned the key off so hopefully, hopefully, he caught it before too much damage was done.

I purchased an MK6 exactly the same way you did. One tip that I can give you is when you take the cam bridge off and spool valve make sure to clean them both out very well. I put my car back together with out doing this and it was misfiring and throwing bad timing codes. Double checked all my marks and all looked dead on. So decided to take the cam bridge off again and clean it out and the spool valve was taken apart and also cleaned and now the car is idles perfectly and no more misfires. The only thing I’m battling right now is a leaking crankshaft seal on the new timing cover.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
I purchased an MK6 exactly the same way you did. One tip that I can give you is when you take the cam bridge off and spool valve make sure to clean them both out very well. I put my car back together with out doing this and it was misfiring and throwing bad timing codes. Double checked all my marks and all looked dead on. So decided to take the cam bridge off again and clean it out and the spool valve was taken apart and also cleaned and now the car is idles perfectly and no more misfires. The only thing I’m battling right now is a leaking crankshaft seal on the new timing cover.
I had the exact same experience after a timing system replacement. Had a ton of idle issues and the car would stall. Chased it down forever without any results. Finally pulled the cam bridge and spool valve, cleaned them up, and the car ran perfect 🤷‍♂️

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
Just to throw this out there....The OEM rebuilt CBFA heads are about $800 after core charge of $350. Extremely reasonable in my opinion. And they are supposedly rebuilt but almost every machined surface on the one I got was redone making it look brand new. If the pistons are in good shape I'd slap one of these on there with a $30ish OEM head gasket. These come with everything in the head except cams and only 8 of the 16 lifters oddly enough but you could reuse yours. Also comes with head bolts and cam cover bolts. Got mine from 1stVWParts.com

slag

Passed Driver's Ed
I'll have the head off today. Didn't work on it much this weekend as we were at the lake enjoying the hot August temps.
On a side note, I did get my 2007 GTI (IAAI car), inspected today and it now has a rebuilt title and so I'll send the paperwork off to get a tag for it. Still needs a bit of body work, but its this 2009 car's twin but with the FSI engine, not the TSI in this 2009 I'm working on in this thread. On a side note, it looks liike the clutch hub on my AC compressor has broken off. Does the broken hub spin off counter clockwise while I hold the 8 mm nut on the end?

Attachments

• IMG_20200824_120742.jpg
    IMG_20200824_120742.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 111

slag

Passed Driver's Ed
Nearly all the intake valves need replaced. There's light scuffing on the pistons but nothing bad. I'm going to remove the valves tonight or tomorrow to get an idea of how many I need to order and to get an overall better picture of the head itself. So, gasket kit, timing kit, lower timing cover, and my water pump housing is cracked on top where it mates to the block(from before I got to the engine), so I might as well replace that also.

Attachments

• IMG_20200824_170836.jpg
    13 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20200824_163004.jpg
    IMG_20200824_163004.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20200824_170145.jpg
    IMG_20200824_170145.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 119

zrickety

The Fixer
My valves hit pistons, but no damage to piston or cylinder walls. It's a case by case basis, you don't know until you pull the head.

zrickety

The Fixer
Nearly all the intake valves need replaced. There's light scuffing on the pistons but nothing bad
Looks real similar to what I found. Now is a good time for that water pump, mine was replaced previously.

slag

Passed Driver's Ed
Got the valves out. Things look pretty good. I placed an order for the parts I think I'll need, including the water pump, lower timing cover, valves, gasket kits, etc. What is the black round thing in the right of the photo? It was sitting in the top of my head and must have fallen out of somewhere.
IMG_20200829_165717.jpg