GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rebuilding a 2.0 TSI after timing failure at 173k *ON A BUDGET* (less than $1k spent) - And Then Balance Shafts 2 Years Later

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
I have the open fog grille on that side...I know it's only a MK5 feature. Pumps cool air up there. Also that's away from the radiator, so really all you need is a small divider left of filter. The K&N box flows great, but the piping is actually a touch smaller than the MAF.

Yeah, I had an MK5 at one point and I do remember wishing the MK6 had the open honeycomb fog-light surrounds as an option.

I actually have a paper template & sample piece of metal bent to shape to get better air flow & be a heat shield, I just feel like I sort of wanted a fully sealed-solution that gets all its air from the outside. I still go back and forth on this.

Heat_shield - Copy.PNG

zrickety

The Fixer
It's deja vu. I've pulled the head on the Mini because of low compression. It was clearly overheated, despite what the seller told me. Melted under the valve cover, bad head gasket. It was running but had a bad water leak. Like VW, they use plastic pipes for cooling and the one to the water pump is known to fail. Overall it looks good. I'll have the machine shop fix a valve seat that's dislocated. It appears flat by my square, but I'll have them check it. I'm getting parts from all over...ARP bolts from California via ebay, exhaust from Way Motorworks in Atlanta, Facet ignition coils from Amazon, FCP Euro and ECS.
ECS has been great until now...parts 'in stock' Sunday aren't shipping until next week.
IMG_20200514_111736917.jpg

IMG_20200517_184403183.jpg

IMG_20200517_184315790.jpg

IMG_20200517_184237493.jpg

kosmaras

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah, I had an MK5 at one point and I do remember wishing the MK6 had the open honeycomb fog-light surrounds as an option.

I actually have a paper template & sample piece of metal bent to shape to get better air flow & be a heat shield, I just feel like I sort of wanted a fully sealed-solution that gets all its air from the outside. I still go back and forth on this.

View attachment 172359
Great idea! I just did this on my CC. Not sure if it's specific to the CC, but the vertical piece blocking the engine appears to be too low to actually seal anything off. What I did while I was building mine was put my phone in the engine bay with the flashlight on to see how close the hood insulation was getting. Mine had to be built way up from my initial idea. I used an office trash can for mine since the material is easy to cut. I also plan to cover the outside of mine in reflective polyethylene 1/4" insulation.

Attachments

• cc3.jpg
    cc3.jpg
    795.4 KB · Views: 184
  • cc4.jpg
    cc4.jpg
    692.5 KB · Views: 174

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Great idea! I just did this on my CC. Not sure if it's specific to the CC, but the vertical piece blocking the engine appears to be too low to actually seal anything off. What I did while I was building mine was put my phone in the engine bay with the flashlight on to see how close the hood insulation was getting. Mine had to be built way up from my initial idea. I used an office trash can for mine since the material is easy to cut. I also plan to cover the outside of mine in reflective polyethylene 1/4" insulation.

Dude, hell yeah. That looks awesome! So thats the bottom of the trash can and part of the side-wall? I like that a lot more than my mock up.

I was hoping to use plastic but I have no experience with it really, nice to see with a bit of imagination I can probably get away without having to fabricate anything.

kosmaras

Go Kart Newbie
Dude, hell yeah. That looks awesome! So thats the bottom of the trash can and part of the side-wall? I like that a lot more than my mock up.

I was hoping to use plastic but I have no experience with it really, nice to see with a bit of imagination I can probably get away without having to fabricate anything.
I actually found a guy on a FB group that did this originally and I stole his idea. My trashcan was a bit larger than his so I had to make some design changes. So the hole that the air filter goes through is the bottom of the trash can and the bottom of the heatshield is one of the wider sides of the trash can. I used this one:
https://www.officedepot.com/a/produ...ssionid=0000QQwnDDsMZFT05cDyeGOaY5x:17h4h7c4g

I've found the plastic doesn't do a great job of stopping heat transfer, so I'm going to cover the outside with something to improve that. But it sounds good and my MAF g/s went from 185g/s (stock intake) to 210 g/s...so it's working!

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Why dont you just buy an intake with a proper heat shield?

That trash can shit looks horrible 😩

kosmaras

Go Kart Newbie
Why dont you just buy an intake with a proper heat shield?

That trash can shit looks horrible 😩

Because that over priced Injen shit APPEARS to have a real heat shield (as do all aftermarket intakes)...but it does not extend high enough to touch off on the bottom of the hood, therefore not keeping the heat out. My cars have always been function over form, I don't go to car shows and pop my hood, so I don't care how it looks as long as it performs. I have less than $100 into my intake and I'm confident it performs 90% as well as any aftermarket one.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I would have left the stock air box over adding a literal trashcan and foam to my engine but you obviously like it enough so more power to you I guess

zrickety

The Fixer
Function over form, I dig it.

zrickety

The Fixer

slag

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm getting ready to do this procedure on a 2009 GTI. The previous owner never really opened his hood and its filthy under here with oil just about everywhere. My belief is that the tensioner failed and valves hit the pistons because according to him, it sounded like screwdrivers rattling around in the engine. I've never even attempted to start the car. At any rate, I pulled the intake off and all valves are open. Drained the oil and coolant last night and need to go watch a video or use ELSA to see what my next steps are. I guess its probably time to take the serpentine belt off and the crank pully and have already purchased the tools needed for the cams and crank pulley removal so maybe I'll try that later today. Wish I could pull the engine out and give it a complete washdown but its just not feasible. I'll see what I can do with the head off in terms of cleaning it up with purple power and a rag. Everywhere I touch is covered with an oily dirty coating and its just nasty.

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
I'm getting ready to do this procedure on a 2009 GTI. The previous owner never really opened his hood and its filthy under here with oil just about everywhere. My belief is that the tensioner failed and valves hit the pistons because according to him, it sounded like screwdrivers rattling around in the engine. I've never even attempted to start the car. At any rate, I pulled the intake off and all valves are open. Drained the oil and coolant last night and need to go watch a video or use ELSA to see what my next steps are. I guess its probably time to take the serpentine belt off and the crank pully and have already purchased the tools needed for the cams and crank pulley removal so maybe I'll try that later today. Wish I could pull the engine out and give it a complete washdown but its just not feasible. I'll see what I can do with the head off in terms of cleaning it up with purple power and a rag. Everywhere I touch is covered with an oily dirty coating and its just nasty.
Why not start the car first and see if it runs?