GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Out with the old, in with the new. Neither side is plugged in yet, as one side has a corroded plug and the other is lit and dangling in front of the intercooler like a wonky Rudolph nose lmao

PXL_20230422_121926391.jpg

Replaced my rear bulbs, too, and loaded the tank up with dry gas and fresh 93.

Cleaned the trash and belongings out of the interior and took it to a (touchless) car wash. A lot of the grime that built up whilst sitting is still on the hood and passenger door, as I expected, so I'll have to pick up a scrubbing mitt and put some work in. Not too worried about the paint though, I haven't taken good care of it in my 4 years so it needs at least a correction, if not a full repaint. Also pdr on my roofline. And I still need to properly vacuum and clean the interior.

PXL_20230421_221049494.jpg

Pictured: wonky side marker bulb behind lower grille, missing lower grille trim, mismatched upper grille stripes, and missing VW emblem.

Placing an order for the dieselgeek super pin and associated bushings this weekend, and I'll probably order some 1' wrap swatches to figure out what color I'm going with.

Also, my car screams at me that the oil is empty but my mechanic assured me it's a broken connector on the oil level sensor. Let's hope so because it's going to Boston for a concert tonight

zrickety

The Fixer
Fabbed?

My issue with bolt-on flares for MK5 and 6 is that particularly in the rear I think they clash too much with the curviness of the body shape, and then the car is left looking "cheap." They're too abrupt, I guess.
They were plastic or fiberglass, I think. Probably for another application.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
IMG_0115.jpeg
IMG_0117.jpeg
IMG_1039.jpeg
IMG_1044.jpeg
IMG_1047.jpeg

Had Flow Designs splitters and rear diffuser put on. Changed out my black BFI knob with the magma BFI.

The splitter kit looks amazing and pics do not do it justice.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
why did you place the gauges there? it should be in line of sight as you are driving looking out the front windshield
I wanted an oil temp gauge, which I literally glance at for a split second to make sure I'm at a nice operating temp before having fun. I put a boost gauge in there to balance out the pod, but use my P3 vent mount gauge to monitor boost. Thanks for your concern.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Also, my car screams at me that the oil is empty but my mechanic assured me it's a broken connector on the oil level sensor. Let's hope so because it's going to Boston for a concert tonight

You should pull the dipstick to check the oil level. Don't rely on what a sensor tells you or Mr. Mechanic. Glad your car is back on its wheels, enjoy.

jedred1

jedred1
I brought the car in to have an oil leak looked at. and they said: TECH REPORT: ENGINE HAS MULTIPLE OIL LEAKS. - BRAKE VACUUM PUMP LEAKING EXCESSIVELY. - UPPER TIMING COVER ACTIVELY LEAKING. - CAMSHAFT LADDER ACTIVELY LEAKING. - CRANKCASE VENTILATION VALVE SEAL LEAKING. - PRIMARY TIMING CHAIN TENSIONER IS AT 8 OUT OF 10 POSSIBLE LOCKABLE POSITIONS. So they did 1) BRAKE VACUUM PUMP REPLACEMENT. 2) CAMSHAFT LADDER RESEAL AND UPPER TIMING COVER REPLACEMENT 3) TIMING CHAIN COMPONENT REPLACEMENT. This all included a steam cleaning and oil change. So going to work a few extra shifts to pay for it all but glad it's done now. My car is at 101,850 mi now so I knew it was only a matter of time.

Andrew429

Ready to race!
Pulled the intake manifold off to finally tackle the carbon cleaning. Started getting the cold start misfires at 108000 miles 75k of those was stage 2. Excited to get it clean and back together. Haven't driven it in a year as I have a truck now for the kind of work I do. While it is off I am going to replace the fuel injectors for peace of mind.
IMG_9793.JPG

jedred1

jedred1
The break wear warning light came on a week ago. I did a scan with Ross tech cable and it showed that I had an ABS speed sensor code in left front and also front passenger airbag fault. Went to the auto parts store got a new ABS sensor for left front and installed it. Super easy. Torqued to 7 newton meters and done. Airbag and speed sensor codes are gone now. I also noticed my break wear sensor wires were sheared so I skinned and twisted the two wires together. Then crimped a cap on them and then covered it all with some shrink wrap and the codes went away. I of course checked all my brake pads and they have most of the meat on them because I replaced them last September.

Last edited:

Thumper

Autocross Champion
GUYS
View attachment 279035
It lives!!

It also rubs a fair bit in the front, only on bumps. Having done nothing to the fenders, what should I do first to clearance them?

What size you running on what wheel?

As mentioned if it's just fronts rubbing fender screw mod is step 1. Then either rolling them or better option is camber plates.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Summer wheels are on. Need to get her washed.

As much as the Watkins Glen wheels are classic on the Mk6, I like my TS10s much better.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Pulled the intake manifold off to finally tackle the carbon cleaning. Started getting the cold start misfires at 108000 miles 75k of those was stage 2. Excited to get it clean and back together. Haven't driven it in a year as I have a truck now for the kind of work I do. While it is off I am going to replace the fuel injectors for peace of mind. View attachment 279105
smart of you to do the fuel injectors. I did the same, car feels brand new, I also replaced the fuel pumps (HPFP + LPFP), 10 months later.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
What size you running on what wheel?

As mentioned if it's just fronts rubbing fender screw mod is step 1. Then either rolling them or better option is camber plates.
235/40 on 18x8.5et43. Fender screw eliminated most of it. I only get rubs (both front and back) on harsh bumps but I'm going to monitor the tires and see how they look. The rear camber hasn't been adjusted yet so that should take care of the rear, and worst case I raise the front a quarter inch. I want to avoid modifying the body until my rust warranty expires; there's a few spots starting to appear and I want to make sure there's nothing VW can say that will void the warranty.

Last edited:

ACHILLES R32

Drag Racing Champion
Washed the car and recharged the ceramic with Avalon king armor shield lite

Attachments

• PXL_20230424_000221746.jpg
    PXL_20230424_000221746.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 43
  • PXL_20230424_000240877.jpg
    PXL_20230424_000240877.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 46
  • PXL_20230424_000202660~2.jpg