GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

18 inch rims!

BusinessAsUsual

Go Kart Champion
Whats up guys!

I've been looking for a new set of tires+18 inch rims to replace the stock ones I have on my 2.5 Sportline. They're 17 inch diameter.

RIms I have atm:

I know I like the GTI Detroit Rims alot, but the Khartoum Black rims are cool too.

khartoum:

I dont know crap about specific car mechanics or tuning goodies so, basically I'm looking for suggestions, past experiences with certain rims, etc. I've heard that the Khartoum are quite heavy wheels, is that true?

I live in Ottawa so the rims have to be available in Canada! And my Golf is Candy White

thanks!

BusinessAsUsual

Go Kart Champion
Actually no, I'm only exploring whats available out there.. they dont have to be VW rims. Like I said I have no idea what brand is good/worth buying vs. what isn't.

But the Goals are sweet too, will check 'em out.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Personally I gotta vote for the 18" detroits! ;)

Detroit is such a "GTI" wheel though that on 2.5 it might seem kinda pretentious...not that you should really care about it if it makes you happy....

Besides as an replacement there are reasons against going to Detroit considering how heavy they are....

OZ, VMR, HRE, BBS, Volk, Work, TSW, all depends on your budget haha.
I went with OZ Energys. Commence car-whoring!

BusinessAsUsual

Go Kart Champion
thanks for the ideas guys! People with non-vw wheels, where do you get yours? I'm not too fan of ordering 1000$+ worth of wheels online... plus its not everyone that ships to canada.

@racingmaniac

does it make that huge of a difference to have 'heavy' wheels such as Detroits? if so how exactly? ;/

nature boy

Ready to race!
heavy wheels are just that: heavy. so if you're ok with lugging around extra weight, then go for it. some people think that heavy = stronger but that's not always the case.

i'm from canada too, and i finally got my new rims (19" vmr v710) at a smoking deal off craigslist. if you're not into paying top dollar for brand new rims, keep an eye out on vortex, here and craigslist and you're bound to find something that you'll fall in love with (it took me two months to finally decide and find the v710's at a price i was willing to pay).

take your time man, i know it's a rush to get new stuff for your ride, but it sucks to pay a grand on something that you end up regretting. surf the forums, look at other people's cars, decide on the look that works for you and go for it.

good luck.

nature boy

Ready to race!
oh, and for the karthoums that you posted up there, i found that the black ones in person seem to smudge a lot. not sure why but when i saw them in person i wasn't really digging them.

the goals are pretty hot, especially in anthracite (but i think that colour is only available in 17").

if you live near the border, there are a lot better deals to be had in the states. just sayin.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
@racingmaniac

does it make that huge of a difference to have 'heavy' wheels such as Detroits? if so how exactly? ;/

There was a thread on wheel weight and its effect from a few days ago....the gist is this. Wheel being a unsprung and rotating component, it'll effect more than just lugging around extra weight. Heavier rotational mass means more rotational inertia. It is harder to accelerate and stop. Slower acceleration, and longer braking distance, worse mileage. It also burdens the suspension and makes it harder to follow road undulation and provide proper wheel control, resulting handling deficiency and worse ride quality. Not to mention more wear and tear on suspension, braking and driveline components. Now VW is selling the car with the wheel, so you can imagine it was durability tested for the car(in GTI at least), and for an OEM, its easier to use a heavy, and durable wheel(cheaper than light and durable wheel, and better than light and flimsy wheel). For their price though(I think from dealer they are like 3-400 per wheel, probably a lot cheaper on the forum to buy from GTI owners), you can buy lighter wheel at their size....As mentioned by many VMR or Avant Garde are probably cheaper and in more style....

I'd buy something to replace my Detroit if I have the money, and it'll definitely be in the direction of something much lighter. But it won't happen anytime soon....

BusinessAsUsual

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, I certainly won't be rushing into this since well 1. I have to keep money for the payments 2. My tires are almost brand-new so I don't really want to replace them quite yet.

Thanks for the info, really appreciated ;D

edit:mad:racingmaniac Makes sense. You make it sound like Detroits are bad now though :p hahaha Plus, they might be harmful to the 'Sportline' suspension since they weren't made for handling Detroits, unlike the GTI's suspension which I guess can handle heavy wheels better... Thx for the input

Last edited:

lalalaprise

Ready to race!
Yeah, I certainly won't be rushing into this since well 1. I have to keep money for the payments 2. My tires are almost brand-new so I don't really want to replace them quite yet.

Thanks for the info, really appreciated ;D

edit:mad:racingmaniac Makes sense. You make it sound like Detroits are bad now though :p hahaha Plus, they might be harmful to the 'Sportline' suspension since they weren't made for handling Detroits, unlike the GTI's suspension which I guess can handle heavy wheels better... Thx for the input
If you are going to sell your rims than u can sell it with the rubber too, on Kijiji or on here ...