GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2010 GTI vs 2010 WRX

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
I looked at WRX/STI for years and was dead set on getting one until something hit me: I'm getting older, and I need a car LIVE with. If I was buying a car to go race, WRX hands down. If I'm buying a car to drive everyday, in everyday situations (not requiring exiting a hairpin @ 50 mph), GTI hands down. It's really the best of all worlds while the WRX is one of the best in the racing world. C'mon how often are u gonna need that AWD? And how often are you going to appreciate the quality interior, gadgets, and fuel economy of the GTI?

Decision is clear. :D

woofie2

Ready to race!
GTI:
Very refined
Higher paint quality
Much higher interior quality (I'd say it rivals my wife's '06 bmw 530!)
Smooth drive train
Much better handling
Much better stereo
No torque steer (I hate front wheel drives and torque steer in particular)
Better fuel mileage
6 spd transmission

I have noticed all of this as well, I am interested how they got rid of the torque steer on the TDI, my 2003 TDI had a little with about the same HP as the 2010 TDI. I am guessing they did something with the stability program to counter torque-steer.

If I'm buying a car to drive everyday, in everyday situations (not requiring exiting a hairpin @ 50 mph),
A GTI can do that...
I regularly turn off a 55 MPH highway onto a 55MPH highway without dropping below 55...
Granted to do a hair pin, the right tires, swaybars and suspension need to be installed. One of the local guys drives his GTI on the track regularly.

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
A GTI can do that...
I regularly turn off a 55 MPH highway onto a 55MPH highway without dropping below 55...
Granted to do a hair pin, the right tires, swaybars and suspension need to be installed. One of the local guys drives his GTI on the track regularly.

Yea I was just referring to the driving characteristics of an AWD vs FWD

MkVi_Ian

Ready to race!
the WRX is a ricer :barf: and the GTI is german engineered:w00t: ... nuff said...

PureDrive

Go Kart Champion
the WRX is a ricer :barf: and the GTI is german engineered:w00t: ... nuff said...

Wow, since when is a great boxer engine, turbo factory power, AWD, great reliability records, and sedate styling "ricer".........I'll take that over "German engineered" and their reliability ratings any day of the week.

MonthOLDpickle

Ready to race!
WRX is ugly. And he is prob saying ricer to what the general population of WRX do to the cars.

PureDrive

Go Kart Champion
^I've had three WRX's so far and in the past, most Subaru owners were into performance mods and working on their own cars. The WRX has been one of the least "rice" import vehicles out there for a while now - form follows function. Granted, things are changing a little as older used WRX prices are now much lower and more people get their hands on them, but the community and the car in general are still pretty darn far from rice. People could stereotype the VW community and the GTI as well with being mostly show and not much go, and having every car out their lowered and scraping pavement.

MonthOLDpickle

Ready to race!
lol come over here, you see a WRX its either driven by old people or has been lowered with huge spoilers and a coffee can on the muffler.

But thats just what I see =)

Honestly get a forestor..same engine..better buy.

MkVi_Ian

Ready to race!
only thing good about the WRX is the engine. other wise they are chintzy

GTI2007

Here in Belgium the WRX is no competition for the GTI cause it costs way too much here. You can even buy a Golf R here for less money then a WRX STI

spessx

Ready to race!
I ended up buying a 2010 GTI instead of the WRX. I like the WRX's and my GTI will never be even nearly as fast as a stock WRX. However, I just didn't think they were a good value. I wasn't crazy about the styling, interior, wheels, suspension, stereo, gas mileage - really the only things that it had to it's advantage was AWD and power.

Alex.

Ready to race!
lol come over here, you see a WRX its either driven by old people or has been lowered with huge spoilers and a coffee can on the muffler.

But thats just what I see =)

Honestly get a forestor..same engine..better buy.

Haha, that's true. Only high school students will respect you here if you get a WRX. Never the less, I do think it performs well, considering the price. It's defiantly not as pretty or classy as a GTI though.

PureDrive

Go Kart Champion
Haha, that's true. Only high school students will respect you here if you get a WRX. Never the less, I do think it performs well, considering the price. It's defiantly not as pretty or classy as a GTI though.

I would never buy a car because of what someone might or might not think about be because of a particular car I drive. Performance-wise, the WRX is a bargin. Features-wise, a couple of rocks and a cardboard box has more to offer. The AWD is a huge aspect of the car and what really makes the car more than what it reads out to be on any spec sheet or review. Really driving the heck out of a well sorted WRX is a wonderfully rewarding experience. There are so many times I think back about some of the drives I had with one of my past WRXs or just certain driving situations.......The amount of confidence that car inspired and the amount of outright grip was simply awesome and a special experience at times, especially for a car in its price range. There are just things that can be done in a well done AWD vehicle that can't be done with RWD or FWD. That being said, there are plenty of things my current GTI does better than my older WRXs. Either way, the WRX is a damn fun car to drive that offers a bunch of performance at a pretty good price. Which is what it is all about - going fast, safely, on everyday roads in any conditions. That is the WRX.

MonthOLDpickle

Ready to race!
Best AWD experience i had was in a 2004 (I think 2004) Jeep and any Audi.

Though they share the same AWD system..quattro.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
GTI is by far a more refined car and a great daily driver. The WRX has great power and AWD... that would be it.