GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2021 Formula 1 Season

torga

Autocross Champion
What a shake-up. Alonso's first lap was a return to form for him.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Jeez.

Well
near immediate crash for Verstappen
happened.

😐

Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
Jeez.

Well
near immediate crash for Verstappen
happened.

😐
Yep, incredibly unfortunate. As much as I didn't want
Hamilton to win
, he really worked for it. I was afraid he wouldn't get a penalty... glad the stewards didn't have their heads in their asses.
For a hot minute there, I thought Norris had a genuine chance to win.
For a looong minute there, I was really hoping that Leclerc would win. Italy would've snagged the Euro Cup from England AND won England's own GP. Delicious.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Great race today. Sorry for Charles, but there was no stopping the fellow who did win. A well driven race. Good racing everywhere you looked front to back. How about Vettel? :LOL:

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Italy would've snagged the Euro Cup from England AND won England's own GP. Delicious.
I hadn't even thought about that double-win lol. If only.

I don't know how much more spoilers we need but Max must be pissed out of his mind. Hamilton's penalty was kind of a joke. 10 seconds? Really? I mean, I still can argue both ways on whether or not he left Max enough room but I think for the severity of the crash and considering the fact that they're almost neck in neck for WC Title it was a little light. But then again, penalties rarely make everyone happy :/

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Racing deal plain & simple. Two driver's not willing to give an inch to each other. In a way I'm very surprised we haven't seen this happen before this. Very glad both can fight another day.

Jantriis02

Ready to race!
Racing deal plain & simple. Two driver's not willing to give an inch to each other. In a way I'm very surprised we haven't seen this happen before this. Very glad both can fight another day.
I watched this quite a few times today, and I am unsure of how to feel about the incident itself. On one hand, Hamilton was nowhere near the apex and never was in front of Max, so he was out of position trying to stick a wheel in there on a 150 mph corner, but on the other hand they were so incredibly close and things happen in racing. My biggest gripe about the GP was the way the mercedes team and the FIA comported themselves after the incident. The FIA deemed Hamilton responsible for the incident, but gave him a meaningless penalty, and after he won the race the Merc team was celebrating like they had done something spectacular when they punted their main rival into a wall and sent him into the hospital, classless.

codypka

Go Kart Champion
Verstappen was ahead + he gave Lewis plenty of room to take the inside line of the corner. That was 100% Lewis' fault. The fact that they gave him a light enough penalty that he was still able to win that race was an absolute joke

hans611

Lost
He got the same penalty Tsunoda got a few weeks ago for driving over the pitlane entry line..... should have been a drive through penalty.
Poor Charles, at least that piece of shit Ferrari didn't actually break and he at least made it to the end.

gprace

Hamilton received a meaningless penalty for a dangerous action. He was not on the apex. I feel like he did this because he thought he could intimidate Max. Not surprised about minimal penalty as this was his home race. Penalty definitely should have been more severe for a dangerous action.

torga

Autocross Champion
On one hand, Hamilton was nowhere near the apex and never was in front of Max, so he was out of position trying to stick a wheel in there on a 150 mph corner, but on the other hand they were so incredibly close and things happen in racing.
Verstappen was ahead + he gave Lewis plenty of room to take the inside line of the corner. That was 100% Lewis' fault.
He was not on the apex.
The FIA defines being "significantly alongside" as having your front wheel at the very least lined up with the rear wheel of the car in front, in the braking zone, as both cars are committing to their lines. In this purely regulatory sense, Hamilton did nothing wrong. It doesn't matter that he wasn't fully ahead of Max before the apex -- not every overtake is accomplished under braking before the apex.
However, situationally, Hamilton really should have known better. That's a super dangerous corner to do what he did. In fact, nearly all the veteran racers on the broadcast immediately said "oh no, oh dear no, you don't do that going into Copse... you could seriously hurt someone". Hamilton let desperation take over for a split second and he punted Max off the track.
Y'all are right, it should have been a drive-through penalty to be served within three laps. If that had been the case, Hamilton would've immediately slipped to P7 or P8 and winning the race would've been much more difficult for him and the team. But instead, we all saw the joke that happened.

bentin

Autocross Champion
I hate Max and his constant swings across the front of other drivers. There's defending your line and then there's Max, they don't really intersect. Toto and Lewis appear to have taken advantage of that. Horner whining about it makes it even more amusing though.