GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

215 tires on a GTI

Jason3D

Go Kart Champion
A couple months ago when buying tires I told a tire shop I wanted 215's to go on a set of 18x8 wheels that I have to help reduce some rubbing I had at the time. The shop basically refused to sell them saying they weren't load rated high enough for our cars. Any truth to what they're saying? Or was the guy just going off what his stores computer told him? Or maybe he only had 225's in stock. Seems plenty of folks on this forum run 215's. Is it really a safety concern? Do you have to go to certain tire shops to have them mounted?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Well in theory a 215 tire is slightly too narrow for an 8" Wide wheel the load rating sounds fishy because the gti is pretty light. What model of tire is it?

Jason3D

Go Kart Champion
Was looking at Hankook v12's at the time. According to tire rack an 8" wheel was within the range. It's not like it would be an aggressive stretch. I see 215 tires on 8.5" wheels in lots of pics.

DarkCloak

Banned
Was looking at Hankook v12's at the time. According to tire rack an 8" wheel was within the range. It's not like it would be an aggressive stretch. I see 215 tires on 8.5" wheels in lots of pics.

Geta 22540R18. It is the proper size tire for the that size wheel. Why upgrade the wheel and put smaller tires on?

Yes, people put 215s on 8.5' wide wheel but that does not mean it is smart. think a lot of people sniff glue and that does not make it smart.

Geta 22540R18. It is the proper size tire for the that size wheel. Why upgrade the wheel and put smaller tires on?

Yes, people put 215s on 8.5' wide wheel but that does not mean it is smart. think a lot of people sniff glue and that does not make it smart.

it basically gets rid of rubbing. thats why. i don't know what you are talking about with the sniffing glue part..

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
Though it is not one of our recommended sizes, the V12 in 215/45R18 (assuming this is what you are using) is fine for an 8" wide wheel and has a load capacity of 1433 lbs. The GAWR front on the MK6 is 2315 lbs. Load capacity is good.

Jason3D

Go Kart Champion
Though it is not one of our recommended sizes, the V12 in 215/45R18 (assuming this is what you are using) is fine for an 8" wide wheel and has a load capacity of 1433 lbs. The GAWR front on the MK6 is 2315 lbs. Load capacity is good.

Thanks Sonny. It would have been 215/40 that I was looking at to fit the 18x8.

mkvince

Go Kart Champion
I currently have 215 tires on 18x8 as well. Most shops don't really care. Some shops don't want to take the responsibility by mounting smaller than recommended tires, and they refuse to do so. The shop my friend went to made him sign a waiver before they mounted stretched tires on his wheels, but he wanted a lot of stretch. 215 is barely a stretch on 8" wheels.

One thing we need to put in consideration is the ACTUAL WIDTH of the tires that varies by manufacturer. The stock 225/40/18 Pirelli has the actual width of 8.5". The 225/40/18 Hankook Ventus V12 has the actual width of 9.1". The 215/40/18 Hankook Ventus V12 has the actual width of 8.6" :eek:. So in comparison, 215 of Hankook is 0.1" wider than 225 of Pirelli.

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
i run 215s on my 18x8 and 18x9s and was told i could do 205's from the shop i go too for better clearance

Its a little harsh but helps having a stretch and lower pro with rubbing issues