GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

22k mi. Today car wouldn't start...ARRRGH!

seeuarndjimmy

Ready to race!
So went to take my dog to the vet 40mi. away. After the appointment tried to start the car and it sputtered... i waiting 2 mins and tried again... it still sputtered then it said TAKE to WORKSHOP! WTF! so called VW roadside and at least they were helpful and had my car towed to the nearest vw dealership. i hope i don't become a statistic and have the fuel pump issue BS. They gave me a Jetta loaner, although it's the color of how i feel(brown) haha..
Anyone here have personal experience with this, especially those of you that had the fuel pump issue and what happened?

:...(

and here's the loaner

Last edited:

AudiTTim

Ready to race!
hmm, weird.. did it crank at all? How many times did you try it? Did you fuel up recently and it could be bad fuel? It sounds to me like its a computer issue or a fuel issue.

And I believe that color of the loaner to be quite rare.

seeuarndjimmy

Ready to race!
Yeah, it was cranking and i eventually got it to start, but after a couple seconds it would sputter and stall. I filled the tank up last week and have about half a tank left. I have installed after market HID's earlier this year.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
1. What brand of diesel did you use?
2. Do you use an additive?
3. What type of check lights were on?

seeuarndjimmy

Ready to race!
1. Chevron diesel#2, but the last two fill ups Shell diesel#2.
2. NO additives
3. didn't really pay attention, but after i saw 'take car to WORKSHOP' i kinda zoned out.

i will find out tomorrow what the issue is.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
1. Chevron diesel#2, but the last two fill ups Shell diesel#2.
2. NO additives
3. didn't really pay attention, but after i saw 'take car to WORKSHOP' i kinda zoned out.

i will find out tomorrow what the issue is.

Shell :(

There was an alarming # of TDIs that failed after shell. I am not sure why, but most that had issues were after Shell and No name stations.

I am sticking to Chevron and 76...

Keep us posted weather it is the HPFP or not.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Any updates?

seeuarndjimmy

Ready to race!
whelp just called and got the bad news HPFP! Now they are awaiting VW corporate to go ahead on the warranty. Hopefully this goes smooth and i don't have to defend myself for operating this car normally.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
You'll be fine :( ugh that's troublesome, another recent shell fillup also.

What is the build date of your car... also what date is on your HPFP.

Its a $8000-10000 repair :( diesel tank, fuel pumps, injector lines, injectors etc have to be replaced.

seeuarndjimmy

Ready to race!
not sure the build date or HPFP date. this issue occured on sat. i've been reading around and about 50% looks like they have warranty cover this. Yeah, not so happy with VW/SHELL right now haha..ugghh the tough part to swallow is i only went there cause i needed fuel and the chevron was being remodeled.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
not sure the build date or HPFP date. this issue occured on sat. i've been reading around and about 50% looks like they have warranty cover this. Yeah, not so happy with VW/SHELL right now haha..ugghh the tough part to swallow is i only went there cause i needed fuel and the chevron was being remodeled.

You could go to the station and take a sample of the diesel... It may be worth while if they try to blame you for putting bad diesel in.

The sooner you do it the better.

I have yet to hear of VW not covering it. So far it only didn't cover Canadian cars that have a far worse warranty and one guy that filled it up with his own self made biodiesel.

ick

Ready to race!
VW cannot hold you responsible for the quality of the fuel provided at those stations. There are standards that all fuel stations and refineries are supposed to meet. You bought it in good faith and have no control over even whether or not the station or the trucking company that delivered the fuel didn't somehow contaminate the fuel. A failure of the HPFP in a car so new is a design flaw or a manufacturing flaw. The percentage of vehicles that have experienced this has not been high but according to these forums this shit must be happening all over the place.

seeuarndjimmy

Ready to race!
Update

i got a call this afternoon and warranty will cover the cost of the whole new fuel pump. That's a load off my mind, but still pissed off this happened. The cool thing is the dealership didn't give me any crap and said it like it's not a big deal. This is the Mckenna VW in Cerritos California, service rep is Robert.

Time to rant a lil:
I've did my research and read countless people giving their story about this issue before buying the car and have seen other members say they probably put gas in their tank and it's only happens to a very few TDI's. I do drive a lot with 22k in one year and i'm a stickler for taking care of my car. I 100% didn't put gas or any additives in the fuel tank and this still happened to me. There is something wrong with this car and it's now a HUGE liability o-O... end of rant

OILPowered

Shell :(

There was an alarming # of TDIs that failed after shell. I am not sure why, but most that had issues were after Shell and No name stations.

I am sticking to Chevron and 76...

Keep us posted weather it is the HPFP or not.

The Shell related failures you're talking about were isolated to a small region in the East and different refineries supply different regions with different formulas, so I wouldn't jump to conclusions here.

Also, any station, regardless of brand can have a bad tank of fuel- ground, water contamination, etc.