GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

22k mi. Today car wouldn't start...ARRRGH!

OILPowered

Update

i got a call this afternoon and warranty will cover the cost of the whole new fuel pump. That's a load off my mind, but still pissed off this happened. The cool thing is the dealership didn't give me any crap and said it like it's not a big deal. This is the Mckenna VW in Cerritos California, service rep is Robert.

Time to rant a lil:
I've did my research and read countless people giving their story about this issue before buying the car and have seen other members say they probably put gas in their tank and it's only happens to a very few TDI's. I do drive a lot with 22k in one year and i'm a stickler for taking care of my car. I 100% didn't put gas or any additives in the fuel tank and this still happened to me. There is something wrong with this car and it's now a HUGE liability o-O... end of rant

Additives may actually HELP with lubricity problems. This issue has been beaten to death over on Fred's TDI forum. Not to say your issue was caused by poor lubricity of fuel.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
New to the TDIs here; so can I get a summary of the HPFP and specifically the Shell issues?

I filled up Saturday with Shell and then started reading threads like this... :eek: Not giving me any peace of mind right now...

Anyone have a good additive to suggest while I search for another diesel station?

seeuarndjimmy

Ready to race!
I dunno specifically if SHELL is to blame, but the last two fill-ups was with SHELL, So for the remainder of the time i own this car i will stricktly only fill up with CHEVRON. I agree with ICK it doesn't matter where i get the fuel from, the car shouldn't have this issue. I wouldn't use additives if you still have your warranty. i've read others that have added additives and thus being denied to have the warranty kick in. Just enjoy your car til the warranty's up then buy AAA. The great thing about TDI's is their resell value is good, but god forbid this HPFP happening after the warranty period, then kiss that Resell value out the window.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
OP. Please file a complaint with the NHTSA, if you haven't already, there is an ongoing investigation of these pumps.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=299854

Spend some time in this thread please...

Year: 2012
Build Date: Don't know - purchased new Nov. 2011 at Hiley VW in Arlington, TX
Make/Model: Volkswagen Jetta TDI
Tranny: 6-speed manual
Mileage: 11,092
Diesel Fuel Source: Shell
Additives: No
Problem: Car shut down after driving about a mile away from our house. There was no warning, except slight sluggishness right before it shut down. The Check Engine and Glow Plug lights came on. The engine would turn over, but the car wouldn't start. Was towed to dealer. When I reported the problem, our service advisor said he was 90% sure that it was the HPFP, and that the entire fuel system would have to be replaced (just from my description of what happened and the dash lights).
Dealer: Hiley VW, Arlington, TX
Status: Dealer fixed everything under warranty. Repairs took about 2 1/2 weeks. They were familiar with the issue, and did not hassle us at all. Their notes were:
11098 FUEL SYSTEM CONTAMINATED WITH METAL PARTICLES
PERFORMED GUIDED FAULT FINDING. FOUND THE FOLLOWING MALFUNCTION CODES:
P0087 FUEL RAIL/SYSTEM PRESSURE TOO LOW; P0090 FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR 1 CONTROL CIRCUIT; P0191 FUEL RAIL PRESSURE CIRCUIT RANGE/PERFORMANCE. INSPECTED FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR AND FOUND METAL PARTICLES IN FUEL. REPLACED FUEL SUPPLY SYSTEM AND FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM.
$5886.30 IN PARTS TOTAL

Year:2011
Build Date: n/a
Make/Model:Golf TDI
Tranny: DSG
Mileage: 25000
Diesel Fuel Source: Last used Shell
Problem: HPFP failed, scraps of metal everywhere apparently.. waiting to hear back from dealer with official information/diagnosis
Dealer: Serramonte VW
Year: 2011 Build Date: Unknown, but purchased in late April 2011 Make/Model: Golf TDI Tranny: DSG, 6M 6M Mileage: (actual miles at time of problem or when problem began) 16K Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, etc.) Mostly Shell. New tank of Shell 100 miles before failure - not my regular station but one I'd used before. Additives: (Yes/No) No Problem: (HPFP failed, fuel canister rusted, etc. Give as much factual data as you can.) HPFP failed. Fuel system needs replacing. Most of my miles are HWY, but a lot of short trips this day. About 1/4 of a mile from home, a fairly violent jerk, then a steady glow plug light and reduced power. Made it home. Went in to make a service appointment. Car wouldn't start, and no glow plug light on attempted starts. Towed to dealer. Dealer: (ex. SmokeAndMirrors VW or VW of Fallacy Idaho) South Motors in Miami. Service is being done at Deel cuz it was closer. Status: (still pending, dealer fixed everything, resolved, dealer refused, paid out of pocket) Just ordered the parts (special order). Dealer seems to have seen it before. Asked half-heartedly "You didn't fill it with gas, did you?" (No, of course) - didn't seem serious. Have a credit card record of purchase anyway, but I don't envision an issue.
Year: 2011
Build Date:
Make/Model: JSW TDI
Tranny: DSG
Mileage: 18881
Diesel Fuel Source: Mostly Shell, some Exxon
Problem: (HPFP failed, metal in fuel system
Dealer: Metro VW Irving, TX

Saabstory

New to the TDIs here; so can I get a summary of the HPFP and specifically the Shell issues?

I filled up Saturday with Shell and then started reading threads like this... :eek: Not giving me any peace of mind right now...

Anyone have a good additive to suggest while I search for another diesel station?

Nice link and post MaxTDI; thanks. I've been on that site for most of the last week, but there is just so much info you can find/process at a time :thumbsup:

@seeuarndjimmy: I went to my dealer today to swap mats (when I bought, I missed the fact that my TDI came with "Golf" monster mats, and I wanted "TDI" ones so they ordered them for me to swap out) and talked to the parts guys and the service guys about this. It seems they've seena few of these as well, and that the dealership stocks and recommends Stanadyne Performance Formula for the Diesel cars.

They specifically stated that it would not completely stop the issue if it develops, but it would definitely help. They also recommended I find a few truck stops as my only refueling locations rather than "local" stations where the Diesel may not turnover very often.

I got 2 bottles of the Stanadyne; as long as they are recommending it I'll go ahead and use it for some added protection (I hope...)

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
You can also try and use Diesel Kleen... its widely available and cheap. I know there are reports out there that claim this one brand to amazing (optilube) but it is only one report and given the extensive research I did on this issue, its very inconclusive.

Diesel varies station by station, day by day. According to most of what I read any additive is better than none, and diesel Kleen happens to be the cheapest/widest available and a lot of diesel guys swear by it.

I refuse to spend an extra $2 per tank getting Opti lube. That's just snake oil marketing IMO.

Saabstory

I dunno specifically if SHELL is to blame, but the last two fill-ups was with SHELL, So for the remainder of the time i own this car i will stricktly only fill up with CHEVRON. I agree with ICK it doesn't matter where i get the fuel from, the car shouldn't have this issue.
Completely agree. US Diesel should not be an issue for the car period, however, I was just wondering so as to avoid any added issues if I needed to :thumbsup:

I wouldn't use additives if you still have your warranty. i've read others that have added additives and thus being denied to have the warranty kick in. Just enjoy your car til the warranty's up then buy AAA.

Do you have a source for that? Just wondering, want to read up as much as I can. From a quick scan of that link MaxTDI posted; all but about 3 of the failures in that thread are vehicles that never used additives, and the 3 that did all had the issues fully resolved under warranty. :thumbsup:

MaxTDI, more good info, thanks! I'll use the Stanadyne for now and keep an eye out for Diesel Kleen. If the cost difference is marginal I'll just stick with the dealer recommendation, but if it is a lot different I'll give it a try. The Stanadyne was only $4 a bottle, and should treat 3 tanks per so I can live with that :D

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Completely agree. US Diesel should not be an issue for the car period, however, I was just wondering so as to avoid any added issues if I needed to :thumbsup:

Do you have a source for that? Just wondering, want to read up as much as I can. From a quick scan of that link MaxTDI posted; all but about 3 of the failures in that thread are vehicles that never used additives, and the 3 that did all had the issues fully resolved under warranty. :thumbsup:

MaxTDI, more good info, thanks! I'll use the Stanadyne for now and keep an eye out for Diesel Kleen. If the cost difference is marginal I'll just stick with the dealer recommendation, but if it is a lot different I'll give it a try. The Stanadyne was only $4 a bottle, and should treat 3 tanks per so I can live with that :D
According to the manual VW states that additives are useless. But it doesn't say it will void it. They can't detect them in the diesel once it is all said and done, if you wanted to be sure just toss the bottle out of your trunk in the trash when/if your pump fails.

Additives are safe if used correctly.

Quick FYI on diesel kleen, I bought a 128oz bottle. It is about $16 at wal-mart. You need about 4oz per tank. So that would be 32 fill ups. 50 cents a fill-up. I can live with that and its cheap enough for a piece of mind.
given 500/tank that is $16 every 16,000 miles :D

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Did you end up selling your car?

Thumper

Autocross Champion
22k on our Jetta TDI and no issues yet. We found a semi-local station selling B5 and have been filling up with that at least once a month.

Glad we got an extended warranty on it. :D

seeuarndjimmy

Ready to race!
ah and here's a new pic of my new car... I've kissed the good millage goodbye

Yeah, i loved the TDI's Comfort/ torquey engine/overall ride quality. But this issue was my wake up call to GTFO!

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Oh nice you got a WRX right? Whats the MPG you're getting on that? Compared to the TDI?