GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3D Printer & C.A.D. Thread

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Added an additional part to smooth out the area.

IMG_0826.jpeg

1.png

2.png

Last edited:

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Been a while since we've talked filament.

What's everyone using?

For PLA I've been using the Micro Center (Inland brand) PLA+ with pretty good results. I also have a few rolls of the creality branded filament that has been good to me, but the creality PLA will get brittle on you quickly if it's not properly stored. I had two PLA rolls sitting out for the last couple months, the Creality one got brittle on me even after multiple attempts at drying it, the Inland one is still fine.

For PETG I tried the Inland PETG but I kept having all sorts issues with it. I've been using Hatchbox PETG and it's been amazing.
https://www.hatchbox3d.com/collections/petg-1-75mm

I don't use ABS /ABA/Nylon/CF filled/etc

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I try to strictly use Jessie filament because they are local to me, a good price and print excellent. Awesome filament for both PLA and PETG. I probably have 15+ brands and they are all pretty decent. Ones that stand out are Proto Pasta, Atomic and Prusament besides the Jessie. I have been pleased with Hatchbox I have a roll or 2.

I keep all my filament out and unless I do ABS don’t typically need to dry it. The PETG might need it but it stays pretty dry in the basement.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
I try to strictly use Jessie filament because they are local to me, a good price and print excellent. Awesome filament for both PLA and PETG. I probably have 15+ brands and they are all pretty decent. Ones that stand out are Proto Pasta, Atomic and Prusament besides the Jessie. I have been pleased with Hatchbox I have a roll or 2.

I keep all my filament out and unless I do ABS don’t typically need to dry it. The PETG might need it but it stays pretty dry in the basement.
I have a waterproof storage bin that I got from target for like $12 that's been holding most of filament. I printed a couple desiccant containers for it and have been keeping it in there. I also have those cereal box storage bins filled with desiccant but I have noticed since they're not air tight they seem to let more moisture in.

I did some shitty science with my storage bin. I threw in one printed desiccant box and two hygrometers, then wrote the humidity that the hygrometers were reading inside the box over time. I then repeated the experiment with two filled desiccant boxes. To save you all the trouble of trying to decipher my handwriting, both will get the box to 10% humidity however two desiccant boxes will achieve 10% within 7 hours while one box took almost 2 days to get there.

For a comparison my cereal box storage was 15% humidity for one and ambient for the other (the lid seems closed but I obviously have a problem with the second)

Shitty notes attached. You can see where I figured out I should bring in a third hygrometer to measure the ambient humidity in my house.

Attachments

• 20240229_165558.jpg
    20240229_165558.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:

GolNat

Autocross Champion
That is some good data!

I have PLA thats 1-2 years or older, I don’t have troubles printing it typically.

Ambient humidity in my basement is around 50%. I have seen it around 35% when it’s cold out.

IMG_1915.jpeg

I did put my other printer in an enclosure because I was having bed adhesion issues with PLA when the ambient temp would get into the low 60’s high 50’s. Started getting much better prints and the corners stopped peeling up.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
That is some good data!

I have PLA thats 1-2 years or older, I don’t have troubles printing it typically.

Ambient humidity in my basement is around 50%. I have seen it around 35% when it’s cold out.

View attachment 300179

I did put my other printer in an enclosure because I was having bed adhesion issues with PLA when the ambient temp would get into the low 60’s high 50’s. Started getting much better prints and the corners stopped peeling up.

I’ve had good success with doing two 6hr dryer cycles with PLA that I bought when this thread was started.

Ended up bumping my nozzle temp 15* which smoothed out. Layers and improved adhesion. Still printing at 120-250mm/sec.

Making a test stand for G-scale model train locomotives tonight. image.jpg

Last edited:

yakboyslim

Go Kart Champion
Been a while since we've talked filament.

What's everyone using?

For PLA I've been using the Micro Center (Inland brand) PLA+ with pretty good results. I also have a few rolls of the creality branded filament that has been good to me, but the creality PLA will get brittle on you quickly if it's not properly stored. I had two PLA rolls sitting out for the last couple months, the Creality one got brittle on me even after multiple attempts at drying it, the Inland one is still fine.

For PETG I tried the Inland PETG but I kept having all sorts issues with it. I've been using Hatchbox PETG and it's been amazing.
https://www.hatchbox3d.com/collections/petg-1-75mm

I don't use ABS /ABA/Nylon/CF filled/etc
For PLA I tend to just use whatever is cheap (The 3d printing deals group on FB is actually awesome for this)

For PETG I have had really good luck with Inland PETG+, but I also have a few rolls of ACEADDITY PETG that seems to print fine too.

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
I primarily stick with Hatchbox unless there's a color I really like/need in another brand. These are other ones I've had success with.
  • Overture
  • Polymaker
  • Mika3D
  • CC3D
  • Flashforge
  • Sunlu
  • Kodak
  • 3D Solutech
I re-calibrate every time I switch brands or colors, and run a calibration cube and temp tower. I currently have my open filaments sitting in jumbo Ziploc bags with several packets of desiccant in there but I do need to come up with a better system. If the filament is not fresh out of the box, I will dry it for 24-48hrs depending on how long it has sat unused.

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
Nice! That'll be one of my goals this year, probably after the rest of the garage is organized though. 😑

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Anyone print with ASA? Need to make some high temp/uv stable things and it looks like a better option over ABS.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Anyone print with ASA? Need to make some high temp/uv stable things and it looks like a better option over ABS.

Yeah it printed easy for me with an enclosure. I forget what brand I ended up with but bought it over ABS for its UV stability.

I bought Polymaker ASA.

Last edited:

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Thanks Jay for getting rid of the spam in the thread (y)

We ordered 3 motors from Germany. They all came with broken fan shrouds. My boss was pissed. He is trying to get new ones and get some money back but I told him while you are doing that I'll make us some better ones.

Printing a test fit half model in PETG now. Final product will probably be in ABS.

Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 9.33.21 AM.png

The Dude

Autocross Champion
I was literally having this discussion with the new CAD dude over at rampage, he was saying ASA would be preferable for engine bay applications.