GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket Wastegate?

the_horak

Ready to race!
Hey All. I've found it difficult to find a replacement wastegate actuator for my stock turbo, and I came across bits of info here and there about the benefit of an aftermarket one with a different spring rate (like Forge or TiAL). Someone said that it helps turbos keep higher boost in the upper RPMs. Is that true? Just curious if it's worth my time to pursue or not. Do most think of them as worth it?

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
Good chance to go K04 honestly. Or a hybrid K04 (wish I had this).
Can't comment on aftermarket actuators for these internal wg turbos.

the_horak

Ready to race!
Good chance to go K04 honestly. Or a hybrid K04 (wish I had this).
Can't comment on aftermarket actuators for these internal wg turbos.
I appreciate that. I'm not interested in a turbo upgrade though. So I am just curious about these aftermarket wastegate actuators on the stock turbo.

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
You've got plenty of upgrades though. It'd be a shame not to experience the fun of a K04 since you've got all the supporting mods.

the_horak

Ready to race!
You've got plenty of upgrades though. It'd be a shame not to experience the fun of a K04 since you've got all the supporting mods.
My thought is that if I keep the stock turbo, it keeps a fence around the rabbit that I will surely fall down into. There are plenty of other mods that are a waste with the stock turbo. I won't be able to say no to them with a turbo that supports them. Plus, after the cost of the turbo, the second thing to happen is that my wife will leave me hahaha.

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
My thought is that if I keep the stock turbo, it keeps a fence around the rabbit that I will surely fall down into. There are plenty of other mods that are a waste with the stock turbo. I won't be able to say no to them with a turbo that supports them. Plus, after the cost of the turbo, the second thing to happen is that my wife will leave me hahaha.
If a wastegate is a few hundred dollars, you might as well go the full K04, which typically sells for about 1300-1500 new, and you can find brand new used ones for 1000 or less. Add dp and tune, yeah it's easily over 2k, but seeing the mods you've listed, I don't find it unusual.
How are the veltsport mounts? I'm still on stock mounts. Considering the BFI ones.

the_horak

Ready to race!
How are the veltsport mounts? I'm still on stock mounts. Considering the BFI ones.
I really like their quality and expect them to last a while. As far as performance goes, they're a mild upgrade. I feel an improvement and the cabin vibration is mild, but they're not performance mounts. As long as you're not looking for hardcore mounts, they're good.

Alpinee30

Go Kart Newbie
Stay away from Forge it’s a shitty piston design . It will stick .

Turbosmart makes an aftermarket wastefate that is diaphragm based . I am currently using a turbosmart WG for my TTE with a 10lb spring .

The turbosmart comes with a 5lb spring to match up closely to the stock wastegate spring .
It should give you more linear boost control. But I doubt you’d notice much if at all performance wise .

If you need to replace a faulty W/G I’d go that route . But for performance gains I’d skip it . Unless you do supporting mods .

Last edited:

the_horak

Ready to race!
Stay away from Forge it’s a shitty piston design . It will stick .

Turbosmart makes an aftermarket wastefate that is diaphragm based . I am currently using a turbosmart WG for my TTE with a 10lb spring .

The turbosmart comes with a 5lb spring to match up closely to the stock wastegate spring .
It should give you more linear boost control. But I doubt you’d notice much if at all performance wise .

If you need to replace a faulty W/G I’d go that route . But for performance gains I’d skip it . Unless you do supporting mods .
Thanks for the info and opinions.

Alpinee30

Go Kart Newbie
Here is the PN from Turbosmart TS-0645-5052.
If you increase spring rates/ boost pressure, you're going to have to tune for it as well.

Last edited: