GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Air Ride Suspension Thread

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
So much negativity...come on man. He isn't bragging about himself or anything. He just talked about visiting the shop.

Negativity? Not at all, just my criticism of whats happening in the air world today. The market seems to be going backwards with technology and quality, and that sucks. :thumbdown:

I miss being on air and having a VW, so sometimes I lurk these threads. I don't necessarily like what I see, and I'm entitled to speak up and voice my opinion the same as you are. Its not a personal jab at anyone. Well, maybe the guy talking about his 10 person 'team' of guys on air I was having a little fun with.

TheOctane

Ready to race!
There are always stagnant sections of technology growth in any market. The iLevel system was released in November at SEMA. So that's what? 8-9 months ago?

Yes you are entitled to your opinion as we all are. This is still a community of people with a common bond and hobby. It's pretty common for people to have "teams" or "clubs" for their group of car enthusiasts to go by. No one is trying to be "holier-than-thou" here...just talking out ideas and opinions.

Anyway. Back to the topic. Yes iLevel has some minor issues but its still the best wireless way to raise and lower your car, in my opinion ;)

Last edited:

boosted27

Go Kart Champion
I know, it really sucks. Maybe one day some one else will get into the market with high end custom made struts. Air-Rex could have been a nice addition, but their struts are designed poorly. Always a trade off, either great customer service and crappy products, or horrible customer service and great products. Always seems to be the give and take. From tuners, to air strut bulders I guess it doesn't matter.

Oh, and please tell me more about your team :rolleyes: Not you Paul

Sorry , maybe i rubbed you the wrong way. I should of said friends.

boosted27

Go Kart Champion
There are always stagnant sections of technology growth in any market. The iLevel system was released in November at SEMA. So that's what? 8-9 months ago?

Yes you are entitled to your opinion as we all are. This is still a community of people with a common bond and hobby. It's pretty common for people to have "teams" or "clubs" for their group of car enthusiasts to go by. No one is trying to be "holier-than-thou" here...just talking out ideas and opinions.

Anyway. Back to the topic. Yes iLevel has some minor issues but its still the best wireless way to raise and lower your car, in my opinion ;)

Its true.. ilevel is pretty sweet!!

swfloridamk6

Go Kart Champion
Mark

I still regret not taking Air-Rex up on their offer. I think they could have been a good option, but they seem to have lost interest in VW now. At the time, the first set they did on a MK5 didnt go very low, so I ditched at last minute. But I heard good things about the later sets. But then they seemed to have dropped off the VW scene and focus on JDM etc.

spiker369

on air, don't care
Negativity? Not at all, just my criticism of whats happening in the air world today. The market seems to be going backwards with technology and quality, and that sucks. :thumbdown:

I haven't been around here for very long and airlift is the only company I've dealt with so far for air management/parts and all I have to say is I agree with you..
You'd think if people are dropping the amount of money on a product they'd at least get it working properly and not attempt to "fix" a problem on brand new units. I mean I'm happy with my setup right now since it's at least working. But I've read so many issues with airlift management and had a replacement manifold for my v2 sent out that had even more problems than my current unit that I sent it right back.
If I could do it again, I'd probably go with accuair. I just got a good deal from bagriders site.

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
Sorry , maybe i rubbed you the wrong way. I should of said friends.
Nah, I think you're just taking me a LITTLE too seriously. I'm not that serious of a guy, and my comment was slightly sarcastic. You got to admit, a 'team' of guy on air sounds a little funny. Its nothing personal.

Mark

I still regret not taking Air-Rex up on their offer. I think they could have been a good option, but they seem to have lost interest in VW now. At the time, the first set they did on a MK5 didnt go very low, so I ditched at last minute. But I heard good things about the later sets. But then they seemed to have dropped off the VW scene and focus on JDM etc.

Yeah no doubt. The market just isn't there for them. The market is in the sub <$1000 for struts. That sucks, because you really can't build a high quality product for that money with out sourcing parts from China. Also, the Air-rex design, and the design of the new airlift 'performance' struts with the adjustable bag height is out dated. Theres no need/advantage to changing the orientation of the bag on the strut. Its not as if you can adjust the preload. What good is changing the orientation when the bag has to stay above the tire? Its silly. The only advantage is camber plates. The XL strut would be perfect to just shorten 1/2" and add a pillowball camber plate top mount, if thats what the market demands. Adjustable orientation however is a step backwards IMO.

I haven't been around here for very long and airlift is the only company I've dealt with so far for air management/parts and all I have to say is I agree with you..
You'd think if people are dropping the amount of money on a product they'd at least get it working properly and not attempt to "fix" a problem on brand new units. I mean I'm happy with my setup right now since it's at least working. But I've read so many issues with airlift management and had a replacement manifold for my v2 sent out that had even more problems than my current unit that I sent it right back.
If I could do it again, I'd probably go with accuair. I just got a good deal from bagriders site.

Yes, exactly. End users shouldn't be the one doing beta testing. Sure they worked out a lot of bugs with the pre-release units but the units that are on the market are still buggy and have problems. I'm not saying that accuair is any better because I've heard from multiple people and their stories how they went through 2-3 e-level ECU's to get one to work. + I had my own problems when I had switchspeed and then e-level.

My point is, I just think it sucks to go backwards. The struts of today are being built to a specific price point. Its not engineering the best possible product and then offering it to consumers. Its just a re-engineered product they already have, then cut a corner here cut a corner there, use some partsbin parts here so that we can list these @ $750. It bums me out to see consumers just bend over and take it. I wish/hope some one steps in and starts making well built struts again.

Anyway, carry on. Didn't mean to stir up controversy or disturb the thread. I often lurk but reading back today I had to comment.

:wub: One day, I'll be back though.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
How is accuair customer service? Since nothing about my e-level and i-level works properly, plus after installing the i-level the rocker switch DOESN'T FUNCTION AT ALL, no matter what i try. i'm going to call and request a new ECU, has anyone dealt with them before over something like this? (my setup is like maybe 6 months old and nothing has ever worked properly)

Eneubauer

Go Kart Champion
I have a single 400c compressor going to a 5 gallon skinny tank manual management. Today I emptied my water trap and added a quick release female port onto my tank so I can hook a hose up if I need. While I was working on it the sun was definitely beating down on my setup I plugged my compressor back into the relay to start it up and it took even longer than usual to Fill up.Now basically if I air up from let's say 20 psi to let's say 40/50 compressor kicks in no matter what even if I do it right after the compressor had already filled. Could my pressure switch/ relay/ or even compressor gotten messed up cause of the heat? Also my compressor sounds like it is really struggling

HSBREVERSEDSUKS

Go Kart Champion
I have a single 400c compressor going to a 5 gallon skinny tank manual management. Today I emptied my water trap and added a quick release female port onto my tank so I can hook a hose up if I need. While I was working on it the sun was definitely beating down on my setup I plugged my compressor back into the relay to start it up and it took even longer than usual to Fill up.Now basically if I air up from let's say 20 psi to let's say 40/50 compressor kicks in no matter what even if I do it right after the compressor had already filled. Could my pressure switch/ relay/ or even compressor gotten messed up cause of the heat? Also my compressor sounds like it is really struggling

Hey Eric, we will take care of it this weds night :thumbsup: Benefit of having a local dealer in new york :thumbsup:

HSBREVERSEDSUKS

Go Kart Champion
How is accuair customer service? Since nothing about my e-level and i-level works properly, plus after installing the i-level the rocker switch DOESN'T FUNCTION AT ALL, no matter what i try. i'm going to call and request a new ECU, has anyone dealt with them before over something like this? (my setup is like maybe 6 months old and nothing has ever worked properly)

Hi Crid, I'm a dealer for Accuair and there customer service is excellent! Did you contact the shop/distributor who sold you the unit? Sometimes it's quicker to resolve any issues that way.

If you have any trouble, let me know if we can help.

Kevin - www.underwrapsautomotive.com