GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another CBFA Downpipe Post

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

Alpinee30

Go Kart Newbie
So best is No spacer on second and one on the third. I plan on trying it out racing dynamics catted spacers with a CTS high flow DP. From how it sounds with an AccessPort and Stratified tune the CEL won't be disabled anymore. So, what does the second senor do exactly monitor pre cat? It doesn't monitor the primary cat?

the_horak

Ready to race!
So best is No spacer on second and one on the third. I plan on trying it out racing dynamics catted spacers with a CTS high flow DP. From how it sounds with an AccessPort and Stratified tune the CEL won't be disabled anymore. So, what does the second senor do exactly monitor pre cat? It doesn't monitor the primary cat?
I was thinking that too, but #2 may just monitor pre-second cat to compare to #3. That's my guess. I feel like that is ultimately where the reading is most important. If the final reading is good for emissions, that's what matters.

Edit: This is just what makes sense in my mind at this point

Alpinee30

Go Kart Newbie
I was thinking that too, but #2 may just monitor pre-second cat to compare to #3. That's my guess. I feel like that is ultimately where the reading is most important. If the final reading is good for emissions, that's what matters.

Edit: This is just what makes sense in my mind at this point
Seems to be the best explanation.
I will more than likely install it Saturday I'll report back if it throws a CEL If you're interested. The racing dynamics spacers seem to be well made. They advertise a 400-cell cat, hopefully they don't trigger a cel .

the_horak

Ready to race!
Seems to be the best explanation.
I will more than likely install it Saturday I'll report back if it throws a CEL If you're interested. The racing dynamics spacers seem to be well made. They advertise a 400-cell cat, hopefully they don't trigger a cel .
Yeah I'd love to hear what happens.

the_horak

Ready to race!
So I think I am going to go DIY. Get a straight DP that has a flange for CBFA (maybe I'll mod a CCTA) and then add in my own 200 Cell cat and bungs if needed. Partly to save money, but also to see what it's like to DIY a downpipe. See if it's worth it.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
So I think I am going to go DIY. Get a straight DP that has a flange for CBFA (maybe I'll mod a CCTA) and then add in my own 200 Cell cat and bungs if needed. Partly to save money, but also to see what it's like to DIY a downpipe. See if it's worth it.
Godspeed

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I would have imagined that the cat would go between the turbo and the #2 sensor, but looks like that's not how it is.

The factory runs 2 cats, 1 sensor after turbo before cat#1, sensor #2 after cat#1 but BEFORE cat#2, and sensor #3 after cat#2. So to use crappy text diagram LOL

TURBO > SENSOR1 > CAT1 > SENSOR2 > CAT2 > SENSOR3

The aftermarket runs a single cat in factory CAT2 location which means sensor#2 that normally would be getting air cleaned by a cat is getting raw uncleaned air normally throwing the code.

The factory cats are both much higher than a 200 high flow so even fabricating a pipe with a second 200cell in the factory location would not work because it is still programed for a full cat. No idea how anyone is getting rid of the code without running a spacer of any kind on sensor#2. I tried several combos of spacers of all types (straight, angled, mini catalyst spacers) and never worked. I gave up, decided to just swap to OEM for testing and then before doing that realized moving to a free state was the real solution. :D Also, the tune is going to be designed for the flow of a single cat adding a second cat restriction would affect it.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
For those in Cali don't forget the visual inspection component of the smog test. (if they do it right) You'll fail automatically for the aftermarket downpipe or even just O2 spacers. Another reason to just toss on the OEM downpipe and flash back to stage 1 or stock every 2 years. One reason I went with Eurodyne right off that bat then have to deal with getting flashed at APR dealers

Alpinee30

Go Kart Newbie
It threw a cell right away about 60 miles. still have to get it reflashed for the dp. If the cell stays active safter the stratified tune. Ill switch to EuroDyne
Update hopfuly the tune will be flashed this weekend and I'm going to add a second spacer to the second 02.
For those in Cali don't forget the visual inspection component of the smog test. (if they do it right) You'll fail automatically for the aftermarket downpipe or even just O2 spacers. Another reason to just toss on the OEM downpipe and flash back to stage 1 or stock every 2 years. One reason I went with Eurodyne right off that bat then have to deal with getting flashed at APR dealers

This really sucks about COBB it was the better option imo . COBB going green sticks us with CELs.

Talking with Stratified and this is how it is now
"Hi

The only change is that now whenever you have a non-compliant emissions device (example is an aftermarket downpipe, runner flap delete, etc.) the CEL associated with this will be lit on your dash. The functionality otherwise stays completely the same. This is not a big change as prior to this the code would still be active, but it would not light the dash CEL. So functionally, there are no changes to the tuning capabilities we can provide via the COBB Accessport."

The only option now is Eurodyne ,. How many pro tuners support EuroDyne?

the_horak

Ready to race!
Update hopfuly the tune will be flashed this weekend and I'm going to add a second spacer to the second 02.
Hey thanks for the updates. So you're going the route of using a tune to remove the CEL? Did you also try those spacers with the cat?

the_horak

Ready to race!
Those are more difficult to come by these days, but there are definitely other options out there. I found one for around $180, only to find the same one on AliExpress for around $115. I'm assuming the price drop is because it cuts out the middleman.

Also, I miss the AI face...

Alpinee30

Go Kart Newbie
Hey thanks for the updates. So you're going the route of using a tune to remove the CEL? Did you also try those spacers with the cat?
The tune from stratified will no longer be able to disable CEL. I have it flashed as of yesterday. CEL came back right away.
It needs two 02 spacers, But I won't have time to get in on a lift till sat to try that.
Has anyone tried FabSpeed 02spacers?