GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any old fogeys like me with a GTI - I'm 43

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
OP: I had this worry once, when I was looking at the Mazda Speed3. However, on the GTI it didn't cross my mind since it doesn't have the boy racer look of the Speed3.

Hell, in my C6 I get so many looks of lust and hate depending on the crowd that I couldn't care less anymore and almost never pay attention beyond my initial profile of the people around me.

just turned 37. At first, some friends gave me hard time about buying a speed racer for teenagers. I din't give a shit what they said. After 4 years of GTI ownership (3 gtis in total)... they love the car and understand that the GTI is, indeed, the more mature man's Hot Hatch and can easily be bought over silly cars with trunks and oversized SUVs.

oh, and at 43 you should be comfortable enough to buy anything you can afford.

McQueen77

Banned
If you feel old at 43, you need to go down to the bar later tonight and get yourself knee deep in 20 something year old poon, brah. That'll make you feel like a million bucks.

I'm only 27, so the fountain of youth effects are minimal. Call yourself old when you're 90, and then buy a Maserati, and drive it into someone's store front.

nice one.

OP, people who say a guy is having a mid-life crisis because he is in his 40s and drives anything other than a big cushy sedan, minivan or some other version of multi-kid hauler, are boring mouth breathers who believe that being 'practical' and depriving themselves of some enjoyment in life is the 'mature choice'. BALLS I say. BALLS!

And anyway, the GTI isn't really that impractical. Its a hatch, gets good mileage, etc. A Z4 roadster, MX5, a porshe, etc: while all are impractical, I don't believe in the term mid-life crisis. The thought that you should stop enjoying your life and think only of practicality and family once you pass a certain age is massively depressing and I don't subscribe to any of that shit. Buy the GTI brah! I'm 35 btw.

CFG9000

Ready to race!
The GTI is such a strange car to consider a mid-life crisis purchase.

Yes, it's so impractical to have the same interior space as an average mid-size sedan that's 400-500lbs heavier. And with a larger rear opening as well! What a stupid buy! :laugh:

67Scarelane

Ready to race!
44 here! I luves my GTI! I have a old muscle car too. Fun!! :happyanim:

Keizerjohn

67Scarelane...
Looks like we're brothers from another mother.
I also went with the Carbon Steel Gray and found that it takes 2 cars to hit all the right spots.

obleedo

Ready to race!
Im 26 going on 27 this July and I must say when I was car shopping I had a fair amount of luxury or "not 18 year old" cars that I test drove and did a lot of research on... make a long story short I felt most comfortable in the GTI. Not to mention it really is a fun car to drive, its practical, and I think its style is awesome. If you had to think enough to write a post on a forum for a car you dont own Id say give it a test drive.

Relic2

53 here...and just bought my first GTI. Wanted something to drive everyday that was fun...with AC. Truthfully, the 450+ HP Chevelle would maul the GTI, but I haven't driven that car since I bought the VW...although I did start it today...:D

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
66 Bro, you are amongst friends of all ages who appreciate the GTI. Enjoy the ride.

Spike Warrior

Passed Driver's Ed
I would not consider you an "old fogey" as I am your age.

If the car appeals to your soul........ it's the one.

Have no reservation and no worry.

Last edited:

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
I am 39, love my gti. Always wanted one figured there was no reason to wait any longer. Mid life crisis... maybe... but if all my mid life issues have the same great result as the GTI, I wouldn't call it a crisis. An older Porsche as my summer weekend car is the next step.