GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any Track Rats Still Active?

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion

Time for some new tires mk6 fam... I got some Falken RT660's waiting to be mounted.

My Hawk HPS 5.0 rear brake pads have lasted 5 years somehow - but it's finally time to replace em.. Will probably see what the lead time on some Carbotech XP8 for rears are as I've been running XP10 on the fronts for the past few years.

Jesus, yeah I'd say it's time for new tires. My recommendation would be zero toe in the front and slightly positive toe in the rear (.125) just to keep the back end from coming around more than you want. You'd be amazed how little the rear brakes actually do on track, so it's not surprising you got so much life out of the old pads. I run the G-loc equivalent of Carbotech XP12 in the front and XP8 in the rear, with good results.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Currently on AST 4100 coilovers (350lb front/250lb rear - prob too soft but that's what they came with), and a whiteline rear sway bar on medium. My ride height is probably a bit too low because I'm rubbing quite a bit on the fronts on hard corners. For alignment I ran zero toe in the rear for a year or two but now I'm back to factory spec alignment (I believe it's +0.1 front and rear). Car has existed at this level for a few years.. the next step would be camber plates and such but I haven't felt like spending more money on mods.. rather just have more seat time and keep playing around with different tire compound
A bit more front bar should help with the tire rub, reduce camber loss, and might also take some of the bite out of the rotation and let you bump up the rear spring rates.

TheMaOdy66

Drag Racing Champion
MK 7 track rats asked as well? ;)

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
You know.... it’s kind of weird that the track forums haven’t been combined like the off topic forums. I’d love the extra activity here.
They are, but if they don't have an mk6 account they won't see posts started in the mk6 forum. It's the same with all the sections not just off topic

TheMaOdy66

Drag Racing Champion
You know.... it’s kind of weird that the track forums haven’t been combined like the off topic forums. I’d love the extra activity here.
Ok, let's try and wait what other members might say.
I was a more or less active member in the MK7 forum until 2016 with my MK 7 R which I tracked regularly. Then I bought a TTRS 8J (MK II) and since middle of 2020 I am back whith a MK 7 Golf, MK 7.5 GTi TCR like seen in the signature. The car is for track use only and I use it more than 90% on Nordschleife. Tbh 100% up to today. Videos (with the older cars as well) are to be found in my YT Channel. One example you see here:

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
They are, but if they don't have an mk6 account they won't see posts started in the mk6 forum. It's the same with all the sections not just off topic
That’s awesome, I had no idea this is how the new forum setup worked. I guess I’ll have to go log into the mk5 forum as well so those posts also pop up.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
That’s awesome, I had no idea this is how the new forum setup worked. I guess I’ll have to go log into the mk5 forum as well so those posts also pop up.
I frequent the mk7 track forums because it’s pretty active. I agree that it would be nice to just combine these to gather a larger audience.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion

Time for some new tires mk6 fam... I got some Falken RT660's waiting to be mounted.

My Hawk HPS 5.0 rear brake pads have lasted 5 years somehow - but it's finally time to replace em.. Will probably see what the lead time on some Carbotech XP8 for rears are as I've been running XP10 on the fronts for the past few years.
Careful with the RT660, they run extremely wide, usually about 2 sizes up. I have 235/40/18 RT660 , -3.1 front camber and -2.1 in the rear to clear. below is a 275 rt660 vs 295 rt615.. i had 225 ad08r before which also ran a lot wider than normal 225s.
1611689225167.png

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
Currently on AST 4100 coilovers (350lb front/250lb rear - prob too soft but that's what they came with), and a whiteline rear sway bar on medium. My ride height is probably a bit too low because I'm rubbing quite a bit on the fronts on hard corners. For alignment I ran zero toe in the rear for a year or two but now I'm back to factory spec alignment (I believe it's +0.1 front and rear). Car has existed at this level for a few years.. the next step would be camber plates and such but I haven't felt like spending more money on mods.. rather just have more seat time and keep playing around with different tire compound
i have the same coilovers with camber plates and superpro ball joints. same sway bar, except rear sway bar set to stiff and front sway bar set to medium. the coilovers are sufficient, have you played with the damper settings?

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Careful with the RT660, they run extremely wide, usually about 2 sizes up. I have 235/40/18 RT660 , -3.1 front camber and -2.1 in the rear to clear. below is a 275 rt660 vs 295 rt615.. i had 225 ad08r before which also ran a lot wider than normal 225s.View attachment 201328
I can vouch for the AD08r running extremely wide for it’s size, really surprised me and switched over to 8.5” wheels so the tires weren’t pinched.
B9CB6BEE-FA17-440D-8426-8AA75255F3E6.jpeg

ebuuz

Go Kart Newbie
i have the same coilovers with camber plates and superpro ball joints. same sway bar, except rear sway bar set to stiff and front sway bar set to medium. the coilovers are sufficient, have you played with the damper settings?
for awhile I just left it in the middle - so 5 clicks from full soft in front and rear... right now I think i'm running +7 front and +8 rear.. pretty bouncy when I'm commuting on the freeway some times. Which camber plates do you have?

Thanks for the tip for RT660 running wide.. Too late now but I think my front fenders will not be too happy - they're slowly getting more toast.. I gotta take the time with a heat gun to fold the inner metal side against itself.. right now I just push it up with a metal bar from my jack in between sessions at the track

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
for awhile I just left it in the middle - so 5 clicks from full soft in front and rear... right now I think i'm running +7 front and +8 rear.. pretty bouncy when I'm commuting on the freeway some times. Which camber plates do you have?

Thanks for the tip for RT660 running wide.. Too late now but I think my front fenders will not be too happy - they're slowly getting more toast.. I gotta take the time with a heat gun to fold the inner metal side against itself.. right now I just push it up with a metal bar from my jack in between sessions at the track
i have the ground control plates. are u from norcal?

ebuuz

Go Kart Newbie
i have the ground control plates. are u from norcal?
From orange county but currently living in Norcal.. will be running all the tracks up here for some time... I'll be at Sonoma next Saturday (2/5)

TheMaOdy66

Drag Racing Champion
I still have footage from 2020 on my HDD. ;) For those of you who like to watch...